Being Hungry vs "Yeah, I Could Eat"

Options
Do you think there's a difference ? I know you don't necessarily need your stomach to throw a fit, but you should know when your stomach's empty... Right ?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    being hungry is often just a sign of "this is when I normally eat"- so I don't trust it at all. t's controlled by hormones.

I don't eat when I'm hungry- not usually- unless I'm dry heaving hungry or I have a window of time between things and won't be able to eat again till much later.

I eat when I want to eat- when it fits my my day. I mostly schedule food around my schedule if that makes sense
    I know what my calorie goals are- if I'm going out with BF- if I'm working out or not- how heavy etc etc- so I pace my day and intake around that.

once I start eating- I've broken the seal- so I get hungry much sooner- I'm much better at just pushing off the "hungry" phase till later- and often don't eat till well into the afternoon.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I wait until I am hungry I am in trouble...because I go from eh I could eat "hunger" to raving freakin lunatic passing out dizzy hungry so fast it's not funny.

So technically I am never "hungry" and Yes I have to know the difference...so I am actually getting more intune with my body.

The flip side is when you are not "hungry" but need to eat to fuel your body...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I was going to say- I go from being meh- to ZOMG I need to eat- fairly quickly- I mean the "I haven't eaten" could last all day- but usually by 2 I'm like- I'm done.

That being said- I could eat at any time.

I dislike eating within 30 minutes of waking up- but I could eat all day and be okay with it- I love food- and I'm constantly in the "I could eat" stage.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I was going to say- I go from being meh- to ZOMG I need to eat- fairly quickly- I mean the "I haven't eaten" could last all day- but usually by 2 I'm like- I'm done.

I dislike eating within 30 minutes of waking up- but I could eat all day and be okay with it- I love food- and I'm constantly in the "I could eat" stage.

^^ sounds like me too. I used to eat all the time, and the thing is as soon as I eat it's like I get hungry quickly and often, whereas when I eat 8hrs after waking up I seem to be able to control myself better.

Most of the time, by 1H30pm (I wake up at 6H30am) I can feel the real hunger in a way I never feel whenever I eat earlier and more often throughout the day.

I guess I could eat all the time too, if I would allow myself.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I love food- and I'm constantly in the "I could eat" stage.

Basically this. I can always eat, but I know the food that I have packed needs to last me for 10 hours. I could totally eat it all at once, but then I'd be miserable the rest of the day. Some days I am miserable because I have to plan for a large meal at night so it makes it harder during the day.

This post made me laugh though because I thought of the quote from The Devil Wears Prada - "Well, I am on this new diet, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I am about to pass out, I eat a cube of cheese."
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I could eat any time, regardless of hunger. I could inhale half a dozen donuts and not feel full. Do I do it? Of course not.

If I wait until I'm actually hungry to eat, watch out, because nothing is safe from being eaten. I never wait until I'm hungry to eat because it turns me into an angry person.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Anytime before I am hungry is when I try to eat. When I am hungry, I can be a nasty beast! :angry:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    once I start eating- I've broken the seal- so I get hungry much sooner- I'm much better at just pushing off the "hungry" phase till later- and often don't eat till well into the afternoon.

Me too, x10! I wait as long as I can because if I start eating when I think to myself, 'yeah, I could go for some food right now', that's it, sometimes the rest of the day it's like I'm in an all you can eat contest with a really nice prize on the line.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I wait until I am hungry I am in trouble...because I go from eh I could eat "hunger" to raving freakin lunatic passing out dizzy hungry so fast it's not funny.

So technically I am never "hungry" and Yes I have to know the difference...so I am actually getting more intune with my body.

Completely the same way! I go from meh I'm a tad hungry to I'm so hungry I feel weak and about ready to pass out if I stand. I've addressed this by continually eating a bunch of smaller meals throughout the day instead of the 3 big ones as are more typical.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Completely the same way! I go from meh I'm a tad hungry to I'm so hungry I feel weak and about ready to pass out if I stand. I've addressed this by continually eating a bunch of smaller meals throughout the day instead of the 3 big ones as are more typical.

When I'm bulking/maintaining- I eat constantly-I like the "grazing technique" for a lot of reasons- but I have found when I'm cutting- as long as I push off that first meal- my morning hunger is much more manageable- I'm hungry for a little bit- but then I stop being hungry for several hours

But if I eat breakfast - I'm hungry at 10 then at 11 then at 1 and then at 3 and then at 5- I just over eat. I can't do the small meals while cutting... I just drink coffee and water till about 130/2 when I'm like- Okay- I've had enough fun for one day- then one small thing at 4 and then the gym- then I eat again later that night. I'm 100% comfortable with being miserable in order to be able to eat more that night- I LIKE eating at night- so I just go hungry all morning. I'm okay with it- but when I'm at home- and I do it- I get sick around 2 and I'm like- well crap- now I have to eat and then wait to go to the gym LOL

Intermittent Fasting works well for me while cutting LOL
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    hunger pangs and stomach "growling"
  • Alicewtl
    Alicewtl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to listen to my body's clue and only eat when im hungry. That is when i can feel my stomach empty and is asking for some food. My biggest training right now is to stop after i stop hunger but before im stuffed. Its a big gap of food volume in my case! I always can sneak in a bit more food. But this eating style makes me always feel light and active, not sluggish after meals
    The downside though is there ll be no set time for the meal, sometimes the interval is longer sometimes shorter. I also struggle in not regconizing hunger for a lomg time and with overeating because of fast eating speed sometimes.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning this. Between my breakfast and lunch I get a little twinge... but I really try to hold out until 12:30 so I don't eat all my snacks early in the day. After dinner within an hour or so I'll get the same feeling.... if I have calories.. I'll have a snack (usually not) so I'll just drink some water or a hot tea and that seems to make it go away. It seems like I do better if I eat small amounts all day and sort of "graze" rather than eating large meals.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a fickle b*tch. I hung out in the "Yeah, I could eat." stage all the way up to weighing 262 pounds. Ugh.

After spending time paying attention to my hunger, I now:
    I do NOT eat if I am NOT hungry. BUT just because I am hungry does not mean I eat. (Follow me?)

I am not going to eat just because the clock says it is lunch time. I wait until I am reasonably hungry. BUT I have also gotten to where I understand that hunger is not an emergancy. It used to be that if I got TOO hungry, I would go crazy and eat everything. Now, I can calmly sit down to my portion and eat it slowly and enjoy it - even if I am crazy hungry. THAT took practice.

I have learned that I would rather have 3 bigger meals than mess around with snacks. (Though, I do find I sometimes need one snack - eitehr before I exercise in the middle of the day, or around 4pm if I did not exercise - because I exercise on my lunch break)

I also eat different on work days than on weekends. Workdays = I need some sort of breakfast, usually around 9am. On the weekends, I sip my coffee and usually don't have my first meal until noon-ish.

Hunger is so tricky. I used to be so afraid of being hungry. I used to fight so hard with hunger. Now... I acknowledge it, drink some water, and move on.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I usually eat when I have a pre scheduled meal time. I eat breakfast in the morning around 7-8. Lunch is between 12-1. And dinner can really be any time, because by that time my body seems to be okay.

For the past few months, I think something is up with my blood sugar or something though. Because I have had to start adding a snack to my lunch bag, if I don't have my snack around 10:30 or so, I feel sick and dizzy and weak. Same thing at around 2-3 in the afternoon.

Also adding, I have been trying to pay more attention to my actual hunger level. That is my new goal right now. If I feel hungry, have I recently eaten? Am I thirsty instead? Drink some water first, wait 15-20 minutes, and see how I feel. I think my meal habits are just that - habits that I haven't broken yet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm like the others, if I wait until I'm hungry, it's going to go downhill fast. But unless I'm stuffed, I could typically eat any time.