working out more than once a day!

Options
I am just getting back into working out and triing to lose alot of weight (prolly around 70 lbs i'm fat yea lol)! My job is pretty flexable as were I can workout during the day if I chose too. I currently w/o just once a day about 4 times a week. Would it benefit working out twice a day or would it hurt my 35yr old body? thanks in advance

Replies

• TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I recommend just doing what you are doing for now to make it habit & slowly increase the amount.....doing too much, too fast most of the time will lead to burning out
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As long as you are healthy, you will be fine. Just don't burn yourself out.

If possible, you could work out 6 days a week. That would really pep up your metabolism.
  • shellyalbert
    Options
    They say that two shorter span workouts are better for you than one longer workout. So, I don't think there would be any downfall to it if your schedule allowed it. I don't have a flexible schedule, so I have to go workout on my lunchbreak everyday. But I do remember my doctor telling me that two 30-minute workouts a day would benefit your body more than one 1-hour because your body can rest and build muscle or something in between workouts. I say, if you're up for it, go for it!! Good luck!!
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    I work out in the morning 20-30 minutes then do the same thing at night. It keeps me from doing 40-60 minutes of straight workouts, and it's easier for me to fit it in that way.
  • jpreball01
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the quick responses! I think what i may do is try twice a week squeeze in a double to see how it goes! I love atheltics so i dont see me being "burnt out" on it since i can play basketball or volleyball at the gym.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    2 a days are great! I love trying to work out as much as possible. Do short bursts. Do half an hour in the morning, get in a few sets of 'ab work' and lunges/squats around noon, then do another half hour session at the end of the day. It's a great feeling to be able to do as much as you can and keep your body in shape. You can do it...just ease into it.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    You know your limits :) a lot of new people don't though & throw themselves into an unrealistic routine, they wind up quitting. Now that I know you are athletic, go for it!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what you're doing for each workout. I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing twice a day I don't think. Maybe cardio at one time then strength at another. I do know lots of peeps that workout more than once a day, some older than 35! I'd just make sure you aren't doing two high impact workouts a day until you are back into things full swing. I also think 6 days a week is a really good idea. If you're doing six days, an hour a day is good. You know your body and what you are ready for!
    Good luck!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would go with twice a day if my schedule allowed it. Liike what was mentioned before, make sure to vary your workouts and dont over do it.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I often workout twice a day. Just be careful about injury, listen to your body if you start to hurt and you'll be fine. Especially be careful if you're doing something high impact, like running. I would not recommend a high impact workout twice a day.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    By working out that much you don't allow your muscles adequate rest. Muscles are built at rest not at work.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    On the last week of each month, I do what I call "two-a-days" Workout in the AM and after I get off of work (usually around 6pm).. That is one hell of a week and would not recommend doing this every week. But like everyone said, you know your limits, if your leg is hurting, don't run on it. If you become injured, you're not only going to be unable to workout, but you are going to have to have the willpower to start all over again... Good luck!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    You can work out 6 times a day if you wanted to... just make sure you are mixing it up and not over doing it.

The human body is made to DO THINGS. Many of us have desk jobs that require us to sit on our butts all day - this is not natural!

If you are eating enough calories to keep your energy up as well as enough protein and antioxidants to repair your muscles, AND you are not fatiguing any particular muscle group to the point of injury, you can definitely exercise more than once a day.

I don't like to shower more than once a day, so my workout is 1.5-2 hours... with up to 3 hours a day on weekends (I LOVE those days). You could do three 30 minute workouts and get the same benefits as me - but get MORE post workout burn than me because you are hitting your target heart rate more regularly throughout the day.

Just make sure that if you are weight lifting or doing some other intense activity, you give your body time to heal. So this means mixing it up and doing different activities and different intensities throughout the day and week.

But by all means, getting moving more than once a day can get you where you want to be faster.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I workout multiple times a day due to my crazy schedule. Gotta sneak it in when you can, ya know. The secret to multiple workouts a day is planning. For weight training (including abs), you don't want to work the same body part two days in a row. If you get stuck in a rut doing the same workouts multiple times a day and then everyday, you will overtrain and destroy all that hard work with not getting enough rest to repair and rebuild the muscles. I plan my days so that I can do the workouts I want and if I'm within 2 days of the same muscle group (like when I use kettlebells since they are total body but I want to do a specific muscle group the next day) I do the first one in the AM but the second one in the PM so that they are separated by as many hours as possible to allow that rest and recovery time.

Here's my schedule for workouts in January to give you an idea:

Sunday AM: Kettlebells and Cardio
    Sunday PM: Stretch

Monday PM: Lower Body Weights, Cardio & Stretch

Tuesday Anytime: Cardio and Stretch

Wednesday Afternoon (Because of when I have time to workout at school): Kettlebells, cardio, and stretch

Thursday AM: Cardio
    Thursday PM: Upper Body Weights and stretch (This may change to all of the things in the evening when I get home from school, depends on how my schedule goes.)

Friday Anytime: Abs, Cardio, & Stretch

Saturday: Rest

As you can see, I'm doing kettlebells and weight training two days in a row, but by doing the kettlebells earlier in the day with teh next days weight training later in the day and focusing my kettlebell workouts to the opposite muscle groups as the next days weight training as much as possible, I can avoid overtraining.