Trying to quit sugar...AUGH!

Options
2»

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    but now I'm starting to gain because I have been eating so ...
    ...many calories.

This is the crux of the matter.. but if you're like me eating sugar creates sugar cravings. not eating sugar equals no sugar cravings. Once I get it out of my system I don't crave it, I don't want it. It can be on my counter in my kitchen and I won't touch it.

So, if that's you. Go all in cold turkey and don't give up. At least that's the only thing that works for me.

2 weeks and i'm good to go :)

What did you eat for two weeks??

High protein, high fiber foods. vegetables and low sugar fruits. Limited cheese (almost no cheese really), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free jam.. there are a lot of options out there. - ps i posted what i am eating today above.

I thought you said no sugar....there is sugar in fruits and vegetables and well most things we eat!

SO predictable. LOL

Initially I said no *added* sugar. (forgot the word added in my second post, my bad) My diet, My choice. I don't need your approval,. OP asked a question, I answered. End of discussion.

:drinker:

Thanks for the clarification!
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found that knowing that I *could* have my cake every night if I wanted to took away the *need* to have it all the time.

Just in to say that this ^^ made the biggest difference for me! If I "can't" have something, then, oh my god, do I want that thing every minute of every day. But if I utilize just a slight language change and say it's not that I can't have something, it's that I'm choosing not to, then it puts me in control of the situation instead of being this powerless victim to temptation/cravings/emotional eating. If I know I'm full and don't need to eat dessert (even though I want to and, many times, have eaten dessert way past being full!), I'll say to myself, "Man, I really want that dessert but I'm full so I'm choosing not to eat it. If I still want dessert later, I can have some in a couple hours (or after the next meal or tomorrow or whenever)." Once I get through that, I'll find that by the time a couple hours or tomorrow or whenever rolls around, I'm usually not tempted anymore--but if I still want dessert then, I'll have it! :)

Also, I know that this is tough for a lot of people to do but my best friend sets aside 200 cals for dessert every day and portions out a couple pieces of chocolate or a serving of ice cream and that's worked for her!

What a good point! I do have to remind myself that I am NOT a victim (even if I sound dramatic enough to be one...lol). This IS my choice and I'm counting on feeling better because I'm <trying> to make a better choice. Thank you for that little bit of perspective - I needed that!!!
  • Irishb118
    Irishb118 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to give up sugar, and/or to even cut back! I am a sugar addict -- I eat brown sugar out of the bag by the spoonful if I am craving it that badly. I did give up sugar for awhile...I was on South Beach and I was successful until Christmas time when all of the fudge, cookies and things came into the office. Then I went crazy! Success was short lived in a sense. However, I am now doing WW and HOPING this is a way I CAN eat for life because I can have anything as long as it fits into my limits. To cut sugar out completely isn't going to happen. You can eat sugar-free things and dark chocolate is actually good for you, so limit it and eat maybe an ounce a day...or maybe 2 ounces at most. Fill it in with fruit. And, no matter what anyone says, fruit does not take the place of sugar when you are craving it but it does help curb it if you eat it regularly.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's all a mind set. Of course if I want my sugary item I can have it. But i want more then that. I want to be healthy and in control. for me, a short lived cut off from it get me back under control. It takes the "power" perceived or real, away from the sugar. I can say yes, or no, to eating it and I don't obsess over it. It's hard, but oh so worth it. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for 8 months, but now I'm starting to gain because I have been eating so much sugary foods.

You're starting to gain because you're eating so much of every food, not just sugar.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Keto. Cured my sugar craving after a couple weeks. Sure a gram slips in here and there, but otherwise, been off of sugar since January.

What is Keto?

Keto is eating almost zero net carbs.. It's difficult to obtain and difficult to sustain. Net carbs are carbs minus sugar fiber and alcohol. it works well for some people though. I have some recipes that qualify as keto recipes and are very yummy :) I jut can't go no carb. I'd be Ms crabby pants. lol

Not for everybody sure, but it is perfectly sustainable and not really difficult. Easily the easiest lifestyle change I've ever made. The only hard part was the first 2 weeks.

Anyway, Keto allowed me to kick the sugar cravings, and when I do crave a dessert I've made all kinds of sugar free alternatives.

Anyway, that's all I had. Its an option if sugar cravings are way too much of a problem.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried cutting sugar also, and I've also googled many sources that limit a female to 25g per day consumption.

I've got a health coach that I've been talking to and he sent me this link, that has really opened my eyes as to why I should limit the sugar.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/sugar-the-worst-ingredient-in-the-diet/

I've found that I've failed every day at limiting it to the 25g, but at least I'm not starting my day off by skipping breakfast and having a Mt. Dew (whopping 77 grams of sugar) instead. I'm an avid black tea drinker :drinker:

I've yet to see progress but I've not successfully limited my sugar and carbs yet.

I'm also in very much denial that I can lose any weight on my own but that's another story. Just so long as I can get my glucose # down for our wellness screenings at work. That's the ONLY thing that matters right now to me.

Good Luck!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Also, choosing a certain time of day to have a sweet treat might help. Then if you get a craving earlier you don't have to tell yourself "I can't have that", you can just think "I'll have that later after dinner" (or whatever time you choose.

That's what I do on days I have strong sugar cravings. Sometimes by the time I get to the designated time I set for 8pm, after dinner, the craving is gone. If I do have the dessert, at least I feel better knowing I didn't already have three other desserts earlier in the day.

I'm currently trying to limit refined sugars to one serving a day. :smile: