Skinny fat?

Options
I'm 5'2" 109lbs and 21yo. Do I count as skinny fat? I've been having eating problem since I started college. I don't have time to work it due to work and school. I don't know how I would be able to improve my look. I have been feeling insecure about how I look and would like to ask for some advice. Thanks.
Note: please copy and paste the photo link I posted below as I don't thinks it's appropriate if I show it. Thanks a lot.

link removed by staff

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    got some bad news for you- this is the best/easiest time in your life.

Find a way to fit a lifestyle you want into it- because it's only going to get worse.

Full time job- full time relationship- full time kids- it starts adding up- the stress of a real job- real bills and "real life" will add up.

Start creating positive habits now. There is no such thing as "I have no time"

there is only " this is not a priority to me right now there for I do not MAKE time for it"

period.

Fix your relationship with food- seek out counselling if you can.
    find something you enjoy doing- runnning- rock climbing- dance- weight lifting- casual sports. Something.

I'm a big fan of weight lifting- so I do a lot of it- but I'm also a dancer- so I do a lot of that. Do things you like- rather than what you think you *should*- having a hobby of some sort- even a small one- will help.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You are a perfectly normal looking young lady. I don't think you look any kind of fat (And certainly don't have a high body fat, which is the marker of 'skinny fat'ness), though I suppose you mean that you lack muscle tone? Because that's a separate, but related, matter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You are a perfectly normal looking young lady. I don't think you look any kind of fat (And certainly don't have a high body fat, which is the marker of 'skinny fat'ness), though I suppose you mean that you lack muscle tone? Because that's a separate, but related, matter.

This. You don't look skinny fat, which is being a healthy weight but having an obese body fat %.
  • amg120
    amg120 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in labels. You should get your body fat percentage measured or speak to your doctor if you're worried about being unhealthy.

It's difficult to say how fit/healthy someone is from a photo. Just make sure you're comfortable in your skin and healthy.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You're perfect. Stop worrying.

I am also a full-time student with a full-time job, and I have time to work out every single day. It's possible, trust me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat means you have a higher body fat % than is healthy. Here are some charts that show ranges of ideal body fat percentages:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

I'm guessing that you are already in the "ideal" range for women your age.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Find a way to fit a lifestyle you want into it- because it's only going to get worse.

Full time job- full time relationship- full time kids- it starts adding up- the stress of a real job- real bills and "real life" will add up.

there is only " this is not a priority to me right now there for I do not MAKE time for it"

period.

find something you enjoy doing- runnning- rock climbing- dance- weight lifting- casual sports. Something.

I'm a big fan of weight lifting- so I do a lot of it- but I'm also a dancer- so I do a lot of that. Do things you like- rather than what you think you *should*- having a hobby of some sort- even a small one- will help.

I just wanted to second this...

Solid. Sound. Advice.
  • macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The only way to find out is to get your body fat % tested. You can do this with calipers on your own or have it done with a DEXA scan or body pod by a professional. I recently had mine tested with a DEXA scan and was pretty shocked to find out that, as someone who wears a size 2, I was at 33%. It can be near impossible to tell by looking.

If you want to lower your body fat % you need to eat a good amount of protein and lift (heavy) weights. It doesn't take long to change body composition at this age.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

QFT
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry if this comes off as rude, but saying you don't have time to work out is just making excuses. I understand and completely sympathize that you are busy. We all are, and somehow we make it work. I am a full time mom, full time student, it's finals week, I just picked up a night job, all while not missing a single workout to train for my competition.

I'm not saying any of this to brag or put myself over you or anyone else, I'm just saying that I someone as busy as myself can find time to work out, so can you. You just have to prioritize, and want it bad enough.

But to answer your original post, you can change the "skinny fat" physique by lifting heavy weights.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options

period.

OP read this! She has given you words of wisdom. Life does not get less full so work some "you" into it.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've been skinny fat - underweight bmi with obese bf % - and you're not it. You look totally fine. If you're not happy with where you are, though, then keep some dumbbells in your house and squeeze in squats, deadlifts, OHPs etc in whatever down time you happen to find. Eat plenty of protein and veggies. You'll see yourself putting on muscle before you know it :) I know it's hard to make the time, and sometimes food can feel scary - but that's what we're here for!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

period.

I just wanted to second this...

Solid. Sound. Advice.

Third.

Even if you work out just 15 minutes here and there between classes, or right after classes end. Or a half-hour when you wake up. Get in the good habit of doing something.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.

And you should probably clean your mirror.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Your BMI is on the lower end, so you don't need to lose any weight - you just need to tone up.

Eat more protein in your diet with lots of fruit and vegetables.
    Walk everywhere. Do yoga for at least 15 minutes a day. You can do it in the privacy of your own room for completely free and do it whenever you can fit it in. It's the most underrated exercise in my opinion, the results can be amazing.

If I can deal with that when I am also studying (at the moment from 8am-6pm 6-7 days a week) and working a paid job 4-6 hours per week then you can too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

link removed by staff

awwww! i bet this was an undies shot, I just KNOW it! :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

link removed by staff

awwww! i bet this was an undies shot, I just KNOW it! :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry:

undies and no bra shot.