Running in the rain???

Options
:embarassed: :embarassed: So its raining and cold here in Upstate New York and I am a new runner. I was planing on going 4 miles today but have never ventured outside in poor weather. Is that silly and if not what should I wear?

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not silly by any means. I love running in the rain because once a runner is wet.......they are wet. I run in my normal gear for the current temps for the day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain- but I'll be honest- if you're crappy weather is like my crappy weather (I'm right outside philly- so I assume it is) there is no way I'd run in this- cold and windy and rainy is not worth it to me- I'm not a die hard runner- I have other things to do... if I was die hard and training- I'd be running- because well if today is a run day- then I run.

But I'm not- so I only run in nice warm rain LOL- very refreshing to me I think.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. However the only rain I have run in is a "warm" rain in CA. If it's too cold or windy I might not.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I went for a 50 minute jog in the rain on Sunday. I wore long running pants, my trail running shoes, a long armed synthetic shirt, and my husband's breathable water-proof jacket over that. I should have worn a hat with a brim to keep the jacket hood in place, but I didn't so I ended up not using the hood and just letting my head get wet. I wasn't cold or hot on the run, but when I got back and peeled off my layers, I was actually pretty soaked. It was my first time running in the rain. Not sure if I did it right since I came back all wet, but I actually loved it! Actually, I had just been planning on taking my dog for a quick potty break, but was enjoying the rain so much I just kept going. I felt really free. Do it. You might like it! :happy:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I have become a baby to cold and rain since I am cold alllllllllllll the time now. The last time I ran in the rain on purpose was for a race. And it sucked.

That said, I would definitely dress for the temperature first. I would also wear an outer layer that does not absorb moisture - something water proof or even water resistant. You'll still get wet but it might help fend off the water from getting through to your bottom layer for a little bit :)
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I notice in your profile pic you wear glasses. I do, too.
    If you also have contacts, then this doesn't apply - the only thing I find irritating is that my glasses get wet and it's harder to see. A baseball cap helps, but they still get wet after a while. I can't wear contacts and I can't see without the glasses, so not wearing them is not an option.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain as long as it's not cold rain. I ran a half marathon in a thunderstorm on Saturday, complete with hail! I then ran another 3 mile shake out run in light rain on Sunday.

As far as gear, I always wear a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes. Other than that, I'd wear whatever I normally wear for that temp. If you're out for a long run during the rain (such as during the half marathon), you'll likely chafe and blister, that part sucks.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mission accomplished, thanks for the support. The one thing I didn't like if my bum getting wet.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. However the only rain I have run in is a "warm" rain in CA. If it's too cold or windy I might not.

Same. Love running in the rain here in CA. Beats the 87* with < 10% humidity and crazy wind today.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Mission accomplished, thanks for the support. The one thing I didn't like if my bum getting wet.

Awesome!