Low carb or calorie deficit more effective?

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    calorie cutting.

Low carb can be deceiving in a way you will lose water which creates the illusion that you are losing fat by losing weight

Glycogen binds with water. So if you deplete your glycogen stores, you lose the water which create weight loss but NOT fat loss if you do not create a deficit. Creating a calorie deficit "burns" stored fat.

Try going low carb for a few days, weight your self, then eat your carbs at the same calorie amount and your weight shoots up

Read the OP - the question was low carb + deficit or just deficit by itself. Low carb with a caloric deficit will produce fat loss over time and oftentimes does so while allowing people to stay very satiated at an aggressive caloric deficit.

Muscle glycogen depletion is probably the least persuasive reason why you should consider a low carb diet and only really occurs during the first 1-2 weeks of the diet. When your weight "shoots up" on a carb refeed, that's simply water weight and nothing to be concerned over. In short, dropping or adding that water weight isn't a big deal.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I prefer low-carb + deficit. I find that eating most of my daily calories in fat and protein keeps me from being a ravenous food vacuum. But that's me.

In all honesty, it comes down to what's sustainable for you. I don't push a way of eating on anyone (and will totally make high carb sides for my fiance to enjoy) because we all have to find what will work for ourselves. Experiment and see if you do well on it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think people need to do away with the "weight loss" mentality and shift to "fat loss". After all, it is the excess fat that is harmful.

Technically many people who are muscular are likely to be categorized as overweight or obese but many of them have ideal body fat percentage so they do not suffer the diseases related to obesity (being overfat)

To summarize in a pic

fat-loss-vs-weight-loss.jpg

Problem with this is, BMI calculators are a rough estimate of bodyfat percentage, too. Bodyfat scales, so far as I can tell, are garbage, and other methods of getting bodyfat percentage are expensive.

But I still agree with you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here are 23 studies comparing low carb and low fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
    You can draw your own conclusions from it.

I low carb. I eat vegetables every day. It's not some protein feast as some would believe.

Good thing the OP asked about low fat vs low carb. Either way that link is garbage. How many of the studies controlled protein and cals? How many relied on self reported intake? How many actually measured fat loss (hopefully not by BIA)?
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think people need to do away with the "weight loss" mentality and shift to "fat loss". After all, it is the excess fat that is harmful.

Technically many people who are muscular are likely to be categorized as overweight or obese but many of them have ideal body fat percentage so they do not suffer the diseases related to obesity (being overfat)

To summarize in a pic

Problem with this is, BMI calculators are a rough estimate of bodyfat percentage, too. Bodyfat scales, so far as I can tell, are garbage, and other methods of getting bodyfat percentage are expensive.

For the sedentary person, probably. But for active person? Highly doubtful. The BMI does not differentiate lean body mass from fat mass as well as water weight. And there goes the problem with people who are more muscular since muscle is far more denser than fat.

This is why there is such thing as "normal weight obesity". People under normal BMI but have the metabolic diseases of obese/overfat people. If you google around, there are studies showing that measuring once waistline is a better indication of one's health than BMI alone. The rationale behind this is the visceral fat -- a metabolically active fat that secretes toxins in the body

Body fat estimation can be inexpensive -- body calipers. While not exactly accurate, they're a good gauge of progress. In fact, even the most expensive body fat equipment are prone to errors. The only way to accurately gauge body fat is autopsy where they scrape all your fat and weight i. LOL

Less fixation on the scales. Just get a tape measure and measure your progress with inches or centimeters. It is less frustrating since unlike the scales, it is more linear.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

To summarize in a pic

For the sedentary person, probably. But for active person? Highly doubtful. The BMI does not differentiate lean body mass from fat mass as well as water weight. And there goes the problem with people who are more muscular since muscle is far more denser than fat.

This is why there is such thing as "normal weight obesity". People under normal BMI but have the metabolic diseases of obese/overfat people. If you google around, there are studies showing that measuring once waistline is a better indication of one's health than BMI alone. The rationale behind this is the visceral fat -- a metabolically active fat that secretes toxins in the body

Body fat estimation can be inexpensive -- body calipers. While not exactly accurate, they're a good gauge of progress. In fact, even the most expensive body fat equipment are prone to errors. The only way to accurately gauge body fat is autopsy where they scrape all your fat and weight i. LOL

Less fixation on the scales. Just get a tape measure and measure your progress with inches or centimeters. It is less frustrating since unlike the scales, it is more linear.

<--- sedentary and small boned (at 130 pounds I'm chubby)

I forgot about body calipers, though. Was thinking of the space pod and the full body immersion fat baptism!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a personal choice. From what I can tell, they're both legitimate paths to success -- it will just depend on the individual's preferences and specific issues.

Some hate to restrict carbs, so generally a low-carb calorie deficit isn't going to be a good match for them. And if they take weight off in a reasonably similar manner with a calorie deficit alone, then there is no real benefit for these folks.

However, others find it much easier to maintain a sizeable calorie deficit when they low carb. High fat, moderate protein and low carb diets are highly satiating. So much so, that some don't feel the need to count calories at all. For others, they may have a carb sensitivity issue (like insulin resistance), so a low carb diet is near mandatory to create the calorie deficit.

I personally like low carb myself as it helps reduce cravings and I feel great on it (but I also have insulin resistance and some gluten intolerance issues -- so I avoid a lot of grains for that reason alone). However, I don't restrict carbs to the extent where it's a keto diet -- I keep carbs at 50-80g per day as a general fule. I find it far more effective for weight loss than a calorie deficit alone. But, my experience isn't going be the same for everyone.

I'd suggest you give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

To summarize in a pic

I LOVE pics, I feel like I'm on Dr. Oz!! hahahaha
  • chloematilds
    Options
    I think it's really a personal choice. From what I can tell, they're both legitimate paths to success -- it will just depend on the individual's preferences and specific issues.

Some hate to restrict carbs, so generally a low-carb calorie deficit isn't going to be a good match for them. And if they take weight off in a reasonably similar manner with a calorie deficit alone, then there is no real benefit for these folks.

However, others find it much easier to maintain a sizeable calorie deficit when they low carb. High fat, moderate protein and low carb diets are highly satiating. So much so, that some don't feel the need to count calories at all. For others, they may have a carb sensitivity issue (like insulin resistance), so a low carb diet is near mandatory to create the calorie deficit.

I personally like low carb myself as it helps reduce cravings and I feel great on it (but I also have insulin resistance and some gluten intolerance issues -- so I avoid a lot of grains for that reason alone). However, I don't restrict carbs to the extent where it's a keto diet -- I keep carbs at 50-80g per day as a general fule. I find it far more effective for weight loss than a calorie deficit alone. But, my experience isn't going be the same for everyone.

bottom line is calorie deficit. If she substitutes carb with other calorie dense food and do not create a deficit, I doubt the extra fat is going away. There may be some moving in the scales but that will be water weight. High carb, high protein, high fat, vegan, etc.. Bottom line to losing the excess fat is calorie deficit
  • lindsey1979
    Options

bottom line is calorie deficit. If she substitutes carb with other calorie dense food and do not create a deficit, I doubt the extra fat is going away. There may be some moving in the scales but that will be water weight. High carb, high protein, high fat, vegan, etc.. Bottom line to losing the excess fat is calorie deficit

Yes, but if (1) they're starving, they're far less likely to be able to maintain a calorie deficit (they're far more likely to binge). That's why satiety is a really important for most people in dieting/lifestyle changes. If you can accomplish the same thing in an easier way with less effort or heartache, why wouldn't you do it?

Of course, what constitutes "easier" varies from person-to-person, but for some restricting carbs makes it much easier to maintain a caloric deficit.

(2) If they have any carb sensitivity issue, like insulin resistance, it may be absolutely necessary for them to do so in order to avoid big insulin spikes (which both causes hunger sensations and ultimately greater fat storage) due to their abnormal glucose metabolism. It's not a requirement for all that have these issues, but it is for many -- for good reason.
  • Msdwyer17
    Msdwyer17 Posts: 18
    Options
    calorie cutting.

Low carb can be deceiving in a way you will lose water which creates the illusion that you are losing fat by losing weight

Glycogen binds with water. So if you deplete your glycogen stores, you lose the water which create weight loss but NOT fat loss if you do not create a deficit. Creating a calorie deficit "burns" stored fat.

Try going low carb for a few days, weight your self, then eat your carbs at the same calorie amount and your weight shoots up

Read the OP - the question was low carb + deficit or just deficit by itself. Low carb with a caloric deficit will produce fat loss over time and oftentimes does so while allowing people to stay very satiated at an aggressive caloric deficit.

Muscle glycogen depletion is probably the least persuasive reason why you should consider a low carb diet and only really occurs during the first 1-2 weeks of the diet. When your weight "shoots up" on a carb refeed, that's simply water weight and nothing to be concerned over. In short, dropping or adding that water weight isn't a big deal.

Sorry can you please explain to me about muscle glycogen depletion does this mean I will lose muscle mass? Thankyou your answer was very helpful :')
  • Msdwyer17
    Options
    I prefer low-carb + deficit. I find that eating most of my daily calories in fat and protein keeps me from being a ravenous food vacuum. But that's me.

In all honesty, it comes down to what's sustainable for you. I don't push a way of eating on anyone (and will totally make high carb sides for my fiance to enjoy) because we all have to find what will work for ourselves. Experiment and see if you do well on it.

How did you originally find cutting the carbs? Did it leave you tired and hungry? As that's what puts me off low carb most of the time. Thankyou!
  • Msdwyer17
    Options
    I do indeed have insulin sensitivity recently diagnosed with pcos will I fare better on low carb? I am not overweight btw :)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I do indeed have insulin sensitivity recently diagnosed with pcos will I fare better on low carb? I am not overweight btw :)

Many with insulin resistance find that restricting carbs helps -- I personally do. If you're not overweight, what are you trying to do?
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    calorie cutting.

Sorry can you please explain to me about muscle glycogen depletion does this mean I will lose muscle mass? Thankyou your answer was very helpful :')

No, it's not a muscle mass issue. Glycogen is a storage form of carbohydrates (made up of glucose molecules). The body generally stores something like 100-125 g of glycogen in the body -- mainly in the liver and skeletal muscle -- to be used for immediate energy needs when there isn't sufficient glucose in the blood stream from food.

But, glycogen also requires you to retain water. That's why when people go on keto diets and deplete their glycogen stores in order to burn ketones as their primary energy source rather than glucose, they often lose a lot of water weight in the first week or so. Since the body doesn't have the glycogen anymore, it sheds this excess water. So, if someone that was on a keto diet, eats enough carbs to throw them out of ketosis, they'll build up glycogen stores again and retain that excess water as well.

Make sense?
  • Msdwyer17
    Options
    Lose fat and prevent further problems with insulin and pcos- diabetes runs in my family, type 1 & 2.
  • chloematilds
    Options

Yes, but if (1) they're starving, they're far less likely to be able to maintain a calorie deficit (they're far more likely to binge). That's why satiety is a really important for most people in dieting/lifestyle changes. If you can accomplish the same thing in an easier way with less effort or heartache, why wouldn't you do it?

Of course, what constitutes "easier" varies from person-to-person, but for some restricting carbs makes it much easier to maintain a caloric deficit.

(2) If they have any carb sensitivity issue, like insulin resistance, it may be absolutely necessary for them to do so in order to avoid big insulin spikes (which both causes hunger sensations and ultimately greater fat storage) due to their abnormal glucose metabolism. It's not a requirement for all that have these issues, but it is for many -- for good reason.

That is where the macro ratio come in. One does not necessarily have to go low carb unless medically necessary -- there are simple and complex carbs. Complex carbs have higher satiety than simple carbs. In that case, rice crispies vs potatoes. One would not feel the satiety when eating sugar compared to eating potatoes or oats. There are also food like fruits that are "high carb" but also high in fiber which helps with satiety

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying low carb is ineffective. What I am saying the bottomline of fatloss is calorie deficit - be it low carb, high carb, high protein, high fat, etc
  • lindsey1979
    Options

That is where the macro ratio come in. One does not necessarily have to go low carb unless medically necessary -- there are simple and complex carbs. Complex carbs have higher satiety than simple carbs. In that case, rice crispies vs potatoes. One would not feel the satiety when eating sugar compared to eating potatoes or oats. There are also food like fruits that are "high carb" but also high in fiber which helps with satiety

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying low carb is ineffective. What I am saying the bottomline of fatloss is calorie deficit - be it low carb, high carb, high protein, high fat, etc

I agree with you that people don't need to go low carb as a general rule, but doing so may make it easier for them to maintain a calorie deficit or a general sense of well-being (like for folks with insulin resistance, this is common). The carb choices -- whether simple, complex or low -- are going to come down to personal preferences and issues.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Lose fat and prevent further problems with insulin and pcos- diabetes runs in my family, type 1 & 2.

Since you have issues with insulin, pcos and diabetes, you may find restricting carbs to be very helpful. I know that I do and do many others in similar situations, but it's not an absolute rule for everyone. I'd recommend you try it out and see how you feel -- many take trial and error for a while until they find a carb number that works for them. For some, it's rather low, for others, it's much higher.

I know I didn't know how much better I'd feel until I tried it. I cut out grains for similar reasons and was surprised by how much better I felt with them out of my diet. I've still got a sweet tooth and still enjoy sweet stuff from time to time, but it's much more manageable and I enjoy smaller portions much more since my overall diet is much lower in carbs.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    imo, MOST diets work including low carb and low cal.
    however the only diet that will work for you is the one you can do for life.

imo, managing calories is the easiest, most resilient and realistic way for most people.