How to start, really start?

Options
13»

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how to start? How to not get so distracted by how long it's going to take to lose 45 lbs, and how last year it was only 35 lbs? How do I move forward and decide I'm sick of my fat pants being tight and my size 40 bra being too tight? How do I get past being the fat girl in the family and become the girl who dies something about it? How do I get past a hubby who's responses to my exercise plan are "well, you won't be able to that on these days?" When do I crash into the bottom, stand up and say I'm so sick of it and decide to make changes that last longer than a month? How do I decide to just get going, how do I decide which plan is "right". How do I give up putting faith and money into gadgets and DVDs that don't work if you don't do them. How do I get the girl in the mirror and those ugly family photos to match the image I have of myself in my head ? I'm just so overwhelmed, but doing nothing is getting more overwhelming by the minute!

You have already started - by getting on here, sharing your frustrations, and deciding that you want to make a change for the better. As many others have said, take it one day at a time. I am a big advocate for identifying your true "why". Why do you want to be healthier? Why do you want to make a lifestyle change for the better. I recently wrote an article in here titled "What is your why" Take a look at it. It just might be something that will help you. when you truly know your deeper reasoning why you want to change for the better, it will give you the fuel to push harder and farther, bringing you to the results you desire.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1261159-what-is-your-why
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You're on your way now by getting this post rolling. Everyone's given you some great tips, too. My ex-husband wasn't super supportive and didn't want to take walks or anything with me (not often anyways) and I have twins who are in elementary school so evenings of course were crazy as hell and no time for working out. I was determined though and I signed up here and started logging my food. I should add that we were so broke at the time, too, that my "healthy food" options were limited...but not impossible. I could cook the same meal for everyone in a healthier way and nobody seemed to care or really notice, actually. I also started getting up SUPER early to work out. I was already a member of the YMCA because my kids went there for before/after care for school - so I made use of their free classes. They had boot camp at 5:30am M-W-F. I worked up the nerve and joined. And I loved it. And it didn't interfere with any of these "you can't do that at these times" issues. It caused other issues, but that's neither here nor there since my former marriage is not your current. If you can't join early classes/gyms, get up early and do a workout DVD at home before the house starts moving. There is a way to do it, you just have to be willing to do it and commit to it. I did it when I was broke as hell and miserable...you can do it, too! I promise :flowerforyou:

p.s. I don't do boot camp anymore because of the divorce/moving, etc., but now I walk or run on the treadmill I got for Christmas...free apps for workouts using minimal equipment...I'm finding a way where I can! :drinker:
  • sweeneyn14
    sweeneyn14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Something's got to set you off. For me it was watching my 85 year old mother go through surgical foot amputations this summer because she's a diabetic. Our family has sugar issues but the diabetes we tend towards is adult on-set and treatable, if done early enough, with diet and exercise. I looked at how they were chopping Mom from the bottom up and then I looked at: my BMI: Obese; blood sugar: at the high end of the prediabetic range; my cholesterol: way too high. I saw myself in Mom's position in a few years and then I said "oh no I WONT - not ME!" My Mom literally begged me saying I should do something now while I still can. It's too late for her. She's lost a lot but her pancreas can no longer be healed. I'm just over halfway through the 60 pounds I need to lose and it's taken me 7.5 months to go this far. It's a really long road, that can be frustratingly slow, but I'm transforming and I know it's okay to go slow. BTW, my blood sugar is now normal (yay!) and my cholesterol is MUCH improved.

If you don't want to have a horrible old-age, change NOW! You still have time and then not only will YOU not have to go through this stuff but your children also will not have to watch you suffer. Do it for yourself AND do it for them!
  • smooshe
    smooshe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    one small change every day and eventually everything is different!! I know you can do it!!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    echoing most of what everyone else has stated.
    baby steps.
    go easier on yourself. it was a revelation to me that when i stopped putting pressure on myself to LOSE THE WEIGHT, i lost the weight.
    a more easier, layed back approach mentally is key for me. i ate a cupcake? so what it was good. i recorded it and moved on. BEFORE, i would have beaten myself up thought my diet was over, etc. etc. etc. and then eat the whole tray of cupcakes....
    not good.

take all the pressure off.
    i like to start with a healthy breakfast, forget about the rest of the day. just start with breakfast for a couple of weeks. then move on to the other meals.

go for a walk, don't pressure yourself to hit the gym or a DVD. just go for a brisk walk...thats it. get an audiobook.

good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its not about the gadgets or DVDs or meal kits. Its about lifestyle change and you can't go back, ever. Eat at a deficit and don't cheat or it will take longer. No starvation required, Eat at a deficit that will have you lose 1 or 2 pounds a week. If you exercise you get to eat more. I found this to be very motivating. Another great place to start is to shed the unhealthy foods and get your percentages of carbs, fats and proteins in order. Get started now!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This is everything you need to know, starting out.

Relax and enjoy the process. :)

+1
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in baby steps. For me and this is my opinion people, doing everything at the same time makes it easier. You need to see some good results in order to stay motivated. Only changing say breakfast will not give you enough of an emotional boost to keep you going. Set your goals to 2 pounds a week and make sure you are under your calories every day. No cheat days. You have had enough of them. Sometime in the future but not now. What you eat is more important than how much you exercise. Eat good wholesome food, making sure you are getting enough protein (I advocate low carb but that is not your question) and you will see results. Good luck!