Im struggling with getting all my calories in.

Options
With my exercise (5 days a week of running usually 5 miles each time) it says I should have 1500 calories a day, I can barely get 1200 if Im lucky. I work at the school I cant eat unless its lunch time so Im not sure how to get enough food in to fuel my body, I dont dont get a break there, etc. Not sure if Im making sense but Im open to ideas/suggestions/help, etc. Julie had a great idea for buts but I cant have any of any kind due to my migraines.

Breakfast
Kellogg's - Rice Krispies Cereal
6 egg white cooked
Cheese stick

Lunch
Lasagna
Salad with 1 tablespoon of ranch
Glass of skim milk

Dinner
Baked Tilapia Fillet With Lemon
Brown rice
Glass of skim milk
Green beans

Snacks
Strawberries
Wheat Thins
Sugar free jello cup with cool whip
Celery Sticks
Cheese stick
Cooked green beans

All of this was 1232 calories and so I still need about 325 more.

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can add a can of Ensure if you want. They don't taste too bad, and supply balanced nutrition. Or, maybe wait and see if your calorie intake balances out over the course of a week or so. Some days high, some low, but averaged out, maybe work out just right. It would certainly be better to get your nutrients directly from food!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Hi 4x4n8,

You're going to get a lot of advice...and alot of it is going to conflict with each other. Which is to say, if what I am about to say sounds ridiculous, or doesn't fit your lifestyle or needs, just know I offered it with good intentions! As they say, take what you like, and leave the rest!

If your goal is to add more calories, it seems as if you can make a few swaps to your menu to add in calories without adding more food. Just glancing at the menu, its very clean and low fat...you can always "dirty it up" a little. So, rice crispies cereal...if you ate a more nutritionally dense cereal, it would have calories. Or add in a couple of yolks with your 6 egg whites, or yogurt...all nutritionally good for you, but also nutritionally dense....things like that. Key words are nutritionally dense. Nutritionally dense foods tend to have a lot of calories. And many of them have a lot of fat...which is where the calories come from. I don't know if low fat is something you are wedded to, but a little bit of fat isn't just not bad for you...its good for you, and, as we all know when we're trying to eliminate calories, fat has ALOT of calories. Avocadoes, nuts and nut butters, a few egg yolks, low fat or full fat yogurt (just not fat free)...even whole grain bread that is *not* diet bread (which is just full of air), often comes in at 100+ calories *per* slice. So, if you just substituted in some nutritionally dense foods, I think you'll find 1500 calories easier to reach than you think.
  • 4x4n8
    4x4n8 Posts: 29
    Options
    I meant NUTS not buts, lol.
    Thanks so much!!!
    And yes, at least with some conflicting advice I can maybe find something from each one that will help me. :) i appreciate it so much!!!! :)