Has eating soups daily/regularly helped in your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I lost three stones eating soup

BAM! See, that's what I'm talking about--YAY YOU and thanks so much for posting!!! WOOT! :drinker: :smooched: :drinker:
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have a mixed opinion of soup. If I make a winter soup in my crock pot and that's dinner with a salad and I eat it a few days, yes, I'll see the difference. But in the winter, I also eat the canned stuff, especially the ones in the microwave cups that I can bring to work. I find that I have to be careful tracking because one of those microwave containers is actually 2 servings, so I'm not eating 120 calories, say, which it says on the container, but 240. And with cream or bean/meat based soups, the total calories could be over 300. Also, I find the weight gain from the water retention from sodium sometimes negates the low calories of commercial soups. That being said, in winter if I'm in a hurry, I always have a few stocked to bring to work. It's still better than a sub or fatty meal from the cafeteria.
  • LeahBelcastro
    LeahBelcastro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am known by everyone for having soup on a regular basis. You know it is bad when you are in the break room about to eat lunch and someone walks in and says “soup again?” I could eat soup for every meal of the day! My only suggestion is for you to make your own soup, if you want it to aid you in weightless. Canned soup is packed with unnecessary amount of sodium. You eat one can and you are done with that for the day. Some people think that it contains so little of calories so it’s fine but dear sweet baby Jesus that stuff will send you straight to a death bed. With that I make homemade chicken noodle, chicken and rice, Italian weeding soup, chilis, corn chowder, and veggie soup. There are so many recipes out there that you can find that are free. I have been eating soup since I started MFP and I’ve lost 11 pounds since January. It all comes down to what you eat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I love soup with croutons. I find it helpful in weight loss because I can always keep a few cans/boxes/dehydrated pouches in the pantry. No time to make lunch for work? It takes 5 seconds to grab soup and maybe 30 more seconds to weigh and bag my croutons. This helps me with weight loss because I work in a building with a deli. If I don't have a lunch, I'm tempted to get a veggie burger with fries, which is way more calories. Since I go the pre-packaged route with soup, I do have to watch serving size (1 can = 2 servings, usually) and sodium content. I will often dilute thicker soups to fill me up more/stretch out the soup so that I can eat it longer.

My favorite soups are these vegan split pea with barley soups that come in pods in the pasta/soup aisle, plus the organic tomato and quinoa soup from Costco (fridge section). Costco also has a really good vegetarian French onion soup in the freezer section that is often on sale.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another soup eater here! I currently have three different types stored in my freezer so I can pick and choose which I want for lunch at work.

Hint: For those that eat soup at work, look into one of these. I received this as a gift two Christmases ago and it has been a life saver at work: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-PK-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V7ZY

665 reviews and 4.5 stars can't be wrong!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Another soup eater here! I currently have three different types stored in my freezer so I can pick and choose which I want for lunch at work.

Hint: For those that eat soup at work, look into one of these. I received this as a gift two Christmases ago and it has been a life saver at work: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-PK-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V7ZY

665 reviews and 4.5 stars can't be wrong!

Or, if you don't have access to a plug, http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-656-ml-Soup-Mug/dp/B005D6Y1OM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1398360032&sr=1-1&keywords=microwave+soup I have 2 of these so that if one is in the dishwasher, I have a spare.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    YAY! I'm down .04lbs this week. This may not sound like anything big, BUT I haven't seen a loss in a couple of weeks. PLUS my bodyfat% has gone down 1% (nothing "official...this is just based on my water/bodyfat percentage scale). I haven't seen my bodyfat percentage going down in a looonnngggg time...is it the soups I've been eating for the past week? Maybe...maybe not, but I'm going to continue this soup eating as an experiment for the next few weeks--maybe forever more :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I love making middle eastern red lentil soup. :) Lots of protein, easy to make, super filling, and low-calorie.

(Also cheap... Very cheap. It only costs about $4 to make a 2.5-gallon pot full. :drinker: )
  • arganusai
    arganusai Posts: 17
    Options
    As you said it is very filling, I'm a total slave to Minestrone, which is very filling and use crackers rather than bread to dip (might just be a British thing :/ )

They are low in fat usually and massive range of types and flavours, so a great choice in my opinion!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I love making middle eastern red lentil soup. :) Lots of protein, easy to make, super filling, and low-calorie.

(Also cheap... Very cheap. It only costs about $4 to make a 2.5-gallon pot full. :drinker: )

I LOVE Middle Eastern foods and I used to make/eat lentil stew/soup all the time years ago (with tons exotic herbs and spices) I haven't had that in a long time ...I'm going to have to add that to my menu--thanks so much for posting!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of soups, stews, and chili during the winter. I'm actually eating this this week:

http://ourlifeinfood.com/2011/10/24/mushroom-sweet-potato-and-smoked-gouda-chowder/

I reduce the amount of bacon and use plain greek yogurt instead of the heavy cream to ease up a little on the calories and add chicken thighs to add protein. A batch gets split into 5 servings and you can check my diary out for calorie breakdown.

I also make a chicken and veg soup, mexican style beef stew, and sweet potato chili that I really like.

As long as I make them I can control the macros and sodium so I know they work within my goals. I fit them into my calories like anything else. I wouldn't say it has helped my weight loss outside of the fact that I enjoy soup and I don't feel like I'm suffering by eating them.

Mmm that chowder sounds awesome. I have some smoked gouda in the fridge. Thanks for the recipe!
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love soup and I always have cheese cravings. So I just mix chicken broth, cut up cubes of cheddar cheese, spinach, tomatos, peppers and chile's and it cames out as a spicy nacho-like soup xD
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of soup and I think its because of the salty taste of canned ones. I do like tomato soup on occasion and bean soups. I like chicken noodle but usually don't take the time to make it. I used to make the weight watcher soup often but that was years ago. I guess it worked I lost 40 lbs in 44 weeks.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Not a big fan of soup and I think its because of the salty taste of canned ones. I do like tomato soup on occasion and bean soups. I like chicken noodle but usually don't take the time to make it. I used to make the weight watcher soup often but that was years ago. I guess it worked I lost 40 lbs in 44 weeks.

40lbs down in 44 weeks is fabulous and that perhaps soups contributed to your loss is wonderful! Thanks so much for posting.:drinker: I used to have lots of tomato soup when I was a kid and didn't like it. I haven't had tomato soup in many years...I'm going to make some now that you mention it, because my taste buds have changed a lot since I was a child.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make the Weight Watchers zero point soup and LOVE it. So good and you control what you put in it. I eat it for lunch quite often. I dont know if I makes a difference in weight lost, but it certainly let's me eat well at lunch.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup in winter. Texas is too hot for soup at any other time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I make my own soups and stews all of the time; they are some of my favorite recipes...can't say as they've helped with weight loss in anyway...I made my own soups and stews and ate them regularly when I was fat as well.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    Homemade soup in winter. Texas is too hot for soup at any other time.

word. :indifferent:
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love having soup as part of my meals!
    I will get a whole chicken and pile in a lot of veggies like carrots,peas,, celery, orka,etc. For seasoning I use a lot of peppers, garlic,, bay leaves and Ms. Dash.
    Then I use a cup to measure portions into ziplock baggies and freeze.
    It's a quick easy meal when I know that when time is going to be limited to cook and still being healthy.
    I do the same with beans.
    It fills me up and knowing that it's homemade none of the process items!
    Since I'm about to start school soon, will look at both soup and beans as easy lunch items. By the time lunch comes, unthraw, heat up! Take along some raw bell peppers or tomato with some fruit and I have a great lunch.
    Hope this helps!

Love the freezing idea! Thanks for that tip and the soup sounds delish! I have never made homemade soup before but after reading this I think I might give it a go since I happen to love soup and no one else in the house does unless its accompanied by tons of grilled cheese sandwiches, meh, but the freezing idea is AWESOME for me! Thanks for sharing!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have soup very often for lunch at work because it is so easy to cook a batch, freeze it in individual containers and freeze it. Grab and go in the morning and the bonus is, it's frozen so it doesn't leak in my bag LOL.

I find it filling, convenient, a great way to get in a ton of veges (not that I have a problem eating veg!) and tasty :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!