Stop singling out sugar

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Challenging the WHO and others for spreading fears about sugar unfairly were scientists in a symposium on Saturday, April 26. The event, supported and sponsored by the Corn Refiners Association, took place during the American Society for Nutrition 2014 Scientific Sessions and Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology in San Diego.

The presence of sponsorship $ always casts a long shadow.

A previous version of this debate was interesting where Robert Lustig was attacked in the Q&A. Is this year's on line anywhere ?
    . At least Dr's with a motivated sponsor and all the studies you could possibly want pretty much made Lustig appear kinda fanatical, and a few Dr's challenged him directly......making fun of him really. Science is never boring.

Lustig has all but been written off by the serious minded. I find it interesting that people will find bias in where the money comes from but will shrug off demonstrated fanaticism by the researcher himself.

True.

And what of the point when the funding comes from the public treasury as approved by Congress? Any of these guys following that money? The key difference is I can choose whether or not to purchase corn products. I can not choose how much I pay in taxes or how that money is spent. There's no boycotting public revenue agents. (without a shotgun, that is:laugh: )
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    stop defending processed poison ... yea we all like it ... but still same fact matters is processed sugars are bad for our body.. and you can look up for yourself if you really wanna find out dont ask me i dont need to prove anything .. i owe you or what ? not*

processed poison....I have no defense, I do enjoy an occasional beer
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    stop defending processed poison ... yea we all like it ... but still same fact matters is processed sugars are bad for our body.. and you can look up for yourself if you really wanna find out dont ask me i dont need to prove anything .. i owe you or what ? not*

Stop defending fear mongering and slinging around ludicrous claims. It's people like you that make the ignorant beginners terrified to take that first step to weight loss.

I was one of those. I didn't want to try to lose weight because I thought that meant I had to give up chocolate and beer. Thank God I found the MFP forums and learned the truth. But I put it off for years because life without chocolate or beer is not a life worth living.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Our bodies don't process artificial sweeteners so well, either.
    right and processed sugars block our cells from gathering
    much better nutrition .. you can eat natural sugars and it will do the
    opposit which is good..
    What? Please tell me this is sarcasm, and you don't really believe this nonsense...

It's always funny to me when the only response from people who are insistent that [insert demonized food here] is the problem, that when confronted with research disproving their beliefs, they attack the funding immediately. If their beliefs are correct, then shouldn't they be able to point to science in order to refute the actual data and science? I mean, that's how scientific debate works. You don't disqualify science based on the source, you disqualify it based on the actual data.

Check the New England Journal of Medicine... I will start making a list in a topic in my group so that it can be referenced in one place.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

You mean this study?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1203388

The need to lower consumption of sugar is hard to swallow, as evidenced here among so many that do not want to believe what the medical field is telling us, but for our health, we need to reduce the consumption of sugar dramatically from where it is now. The average american is eating exorbitant amounts..
    These studies, I know, are time consuming to read.. an excerpt... The significant intervention effect for the change in BMI observed at 1 year, together with the findings of de Ruyter et al. involving children 5 to 12 years of age (reported elsewhere in the Journal),21 provides support for public health guidelines that recommend limiting consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.22

The need to lower consumption of sugar is hard to swallow, as evidenced here among so many that do not want to believe what the medical field is telling us, but for our health, we need to reduce the consumption of sugar dramatically from where it is now. The average american is eating exorbitant amounts..
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    .., nope
  • RiotGirlll
    Options
    Totally addicted to sugar over here. Only decided to diet when I realized I could still have some and keep within my limits. I don't bother to pay attention to articles like this, it's all speculation, there will be a million other articles saying sugar is great for you.
  • RiotGirlll
    Options
    Also, it is better to have real sugar than those artificial sweeteners, aspartame, sucralose... those are so bad for you in a million different ways, I have a combination of stevia sweetener (which comes from a plant) and regular white sugar if I need to reduce calories.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It is quite funny to see people using these overly restrictive diets based on their beliefs for no benefits.

But good on you. Keep fighting that fight.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Just woke up, not enough caffeine in my bloodstream yet. Did I miss the part where this article addresses sugar's potential effects on satiety? Because that is what does me in when I eat a lot of sugar. Including sugar from fruit. It's like the reverse of eating low carb for me. Yet naysayers go off on low carb because it has no magical fat burning properties while ignoring its satiety effects. This article seems to be ignoring sugar's satiety affecting properties as well.

Yeah, if you eat too much you will get fat. If you eat less calories than you burn in a day you will lose weight. But what foods make different people eat too much or more easily stick to a deficit or maintenance? This article, unless I read it sloppily, seems to be missing a huge piece of the puzzle, and therefore, the point.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lol, sugar...lol oh my...I won't say more :-D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lol, sugar...lol oh my...I won't say more :-D

I didn't understand your post...(are you pro-sugar as part of a balanced diet? Anti-sugar believing that sugar is inherently evil and somehow a special kind of carb?)...so I clicked through to read your food diary for some context clues, but nothing...so now I just have to guess.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Also, it is better to have real sugar than those artificial sweeteners, aspartame, sucralose... those are so bad for you in a million different ways, I have a combination of stevia sweetener (which comes from a plant) and regular white sugar if I need to reduce calories.
    Name a couple of those million different reasons please.

I don't know of a million reasons but I know aspartame triggers my migraines, I'm still mourning my loss of Diet Dew a year later :cry:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump for further study......
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm one of those poor folks who get migraines from artificial sweeteners. The equivalent of one can of diet soda will do it to me, and yes I get them even when I ingest them accidentally. (There may be an artificial sweetener out there that doesn't do it, but I'm not going to make myself a guinea pig whenever a new one hits the market.)

The "sugar is sugar" argument isn't technically true. On a molecular level it isn't true and when baking it isn't true, heck even cane sugar and beet sugar give different baking results, and they are both sucrose and 95% identical. The difference for the human body may be moot at a certain point assuming low to medium intake and a mix from all sources, it's the outliers I worry about (the I drink nothing but Mountain Dew crowd) . I admit I don't trust HFCS and its proliferation into everything, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if the restaurant uses ketchup that contains it.

/The funny thing is I get less annoyed by the "that's pseudo science, no it's not" back and forth than by people ignoring grammar rules and failing to write in complete sentences. I'm forced to reread their sentences five times.

Suclarose gives me migraines. I have no problem with aspartame or stevia.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Totally addicted to sugar over here. Only decided to diet when I realized I could still have some and keep within my limits. I don't bother to pay attention to articles like this, it's all speculation, there will be a million other articles saying sugar is great for you.

Sugar is great. I've never needed anyone to tell me that. :bigsmile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Our bodies don't process artificial sweeteners so well, either.
    right and processed sugars block our cells from gathering
    much better nutrition .. you can eat natural sugars and it will do the
    opposit which is good..
    What? Please tell me this is sarcasm, and you don't really believe this nonsense...

It's always funny to me when the only response from people who are insistent that [insert demonized food here] is the problem, that when confronted with research disproving their beliefs, they attack the funding immediately. If their beliefs are correct, then shouldn't they be able to point to science in order to refute the actual data and science? I mean, that's how scientific debate works. You don't disqualify science based on the source, you disqualify it based on the actual data.

Check the New England Journal of Medicine... I will start making a list in a topic in my group so that it can be referenced in one place.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

You mean this study?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1203388

These studies, I know, are time consuming to read.. an excerpt... The significant intervention effect for the change in BMI observed at 1 year, together with the findings of de Ruyter et al. involving children 5 to 12 years of age (reported elsewhere in the Journal),21 provides support for public health guidelines that recommend limiting consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages.22

No, sugar consumption has stayed the same in America for 20 years. And the final study conclusion is that the sugar soda and diet soda children weighed the same after two years. What do you do, stop reading once you've read something that confirms your bias?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I feel somewhat sorry for those people who can't be responsible for their actions and must find an appropriate demon to place the blame on. I was fat.......I ate too much. I am losing weight because I am eating less. The demonizers are doing such a disservice to people who don't know better.