Dance / Ballet / horse lunging

Options
A couple of questions:
Any one know any good dance workouts?
Any one know any good strength and cardio basic ballet workouts or barre exercises?
Any one know how many calories you burn while free lunging or lunging a horse?

Please answer. Thanxs

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IDK about the horse lunging. I haven't been on a horse since I was 12. I always thought Oriental dance (belly dancing) looked fun! You can't beat the outfits! If you want basic barre or ballet exercises you can try an adult class or look on youtube. I use ballet stretches over yoga to get limber.
  • Tehya85
    Tehya85 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know that if I'm lunging my horse I burn about the same as if running a half marathon as I have to chase that black fatty around the round yard the WHOLE time!

I invested in a heart rate monitor so I could work out accurately what I was burning. You can buy relatively inexpensive ones and I LOVE mine!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lunging & especially free lunging a horse are probably some of the most variable activities you could do. If your horse responds to a subtle cue, you would burn bugger all, if you have to chase the bugger & cut them off to change direction etc then you're going to be burning more and it will even depend on the surface of your round yard, thicker sand will make it harder.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lunging & especially free lunging a horse are probably some of the most variable activities you could do. If your horse responds to a subtle cue, you would burn bugger all, if you have to chase the bugger & cut them off to change direction etc then you're going to be burning more and it will even depend on the surface of your round yard, thicker sand will make it harder.

this- I'd just be careful- I know if I was doing running about- it wasn't for more than 10-15 minutes- so I'd probably set it up as wind sprints for time- or wear a GPS and see how much distance you cover LOL

NY Ballet dance company puts out a nice DVD I believe that's available on Netflix (or was)
    I'm a bellydancer so I mostly do that stuff LOL- which isn't the same as a "dance workout" DVD.
  • hferrel19
    hferrel19 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have to chase him a lot and im on sand I usaully do it for 20 min. Also I dot care if its a workout video or if its just barre exercises. Any one would do. PJPrimrose what type of stetches do you do? I need some better ones. How mutch is a heart monditor, distance tracker, or a calorie counter? Also any stores that would sell one in oregon or a unviversal store?