Will a repetitive meal plan hurt my weight loss?!

Options
I recently got a copy of an e-book from a friend called "4 weeks to fit" and the meals change from week to week. However, I don't want to up my calorie intake because I feel like I am content with what I've been eating and I think eating more would just make me gain. But that's me being crazy.

I've been doing the meal plan for week 1 for the last 3 weeks :blushing:

Is there a science or a reason why she's upping the calories or the portions of what to eat?

I typed out my whole meal plan but felt I was being way too geeky...but I really need advice. I do Focus T25 6x a week and am seeing results but I wonder if I'm not seeing as much as I want because I am merely eating the same thing week after week.

OOOORRRRRRRR I am just really impatient?

I figured SOMEBODY has had this question before or has felt this way before me so any tips/tricks/advice would be much appreciated. I'm just in a rut. I've made my own fake meal plans before and I felt like my results were way more noticeable and faster than this so :/ just need your thoughts.

Thanks so much : )

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're just a little north of me--I'm in Irvine! :)

Hard to help you without knowing how many calories you're consuming and how many more you would be consuming with this plan. Of equal interest are the macros--is the plan a different ratio of carbs/protein/fat than what you're currently doing.

Is the author of the plan properly credentialed so that they probably know what they're talking about? ;) There could be all kinds of science, the question is, is it junk science or real science? What's the plan based on? Research? Real research? Or "research?"

I often eat the same things every week/day. I try hard to make my macros and there are certain foods that are easy for me to manage at work. :)
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see the other replies you get to this. I tend to eat the same things all the time too, with a slight variation in my meat and snacks. I've been losing so far, but I'm afraid I may end up stalled eventually, and may have to switch my foods around a bit.
  • RoyainLA
    RoyainLA Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you! I have family in Irvine and all throughout OC!

I am illiterate in any of this "macro/micros" language. :sad:
    I believe in doing the math with the help of MFP, it was just short of 1300 cals a day.
    The plan is based on HER personal experience...so..."research?" LOL I know a couple girls who did this and felt it worked however, they didn't need to lose nearly as much as I did. But cutting my calories so low should be effective...? right?

Here is an idea of what I'm eating...
    Sorry, typing it out is the only way I know how to help you help me HAHA

WEEK 1:
    Breakfast: 3-4 eggs, any style + as many veggies, 1/3 banana, 1/3 cup of oats (I had cinnamon and eat the banana in the oats bc I can't stomach the taste LOL)
    Snack: 3 slices of turkey, whole wheat wrap, handful of almonds (mustard allowed)
    Lunch: Tuna avocado Sandwich on ezekiel break (I make another turkey wrap with 4 slices of turkey & 1/3 of an avocado with mustard because I don't eat fish--if this is an issue, please let me know :embarassed: )
    Snack: Protein shake (1 scoop, 30g of protein + 1.5cup of almond milk)
    Dinner: 4oz lean meat (Chicken), 1 cup of veggies, 1/3 cup brown rice or 1 small sweet potato
    Snack: 1/3 cup cottage cheese or greek yogurt, handful of blueberries

WEEK 2:
    Breakfast: 1-2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites + veggies, 1 slice of ezekiel break, 1/3 cup of fruit
    Snack: 3 slices of turkey, 1/4 avocado on whole wheat wrap (+ mustard)
    Lunch: 4 oz lean meat, 1/3 cup brown rice or small sweet potato, 1 cup veggies
    Snack: Protein shake, handful of almonds
    Dinner: 4 oz lean meat, 1/3 cup brown rice or small sweet potato, 1 cup veggies
    Snack: 1/3 cup cottage cheese or greek yogurt, handful of blueberries

WEEK 3:
    Breakfast: 3-4 egg whites + spinach, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 apple
    Snack: 2/3 cup greek yogurt (0% Fage), 1 banana
    Lunch: Chicken salad (a mixture of veggies + EVOO/Lemon juice), 1/2 small sweet potato or 1/4 cup of brown rice, 1 cup cauliflower or broccoli
    Snack: Protein shake, handful of almonds
    Dinner: 6 oz lean meat, 1 cup asparagus or spinach, 1/4 sliced avocado, 1/3 cup brown rice or 1/2 small sweet potato
    Snack: 1/3 cup cottage cheese, handful of blueberries
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    I'm curious to see the other replies you get to this. I tend to eat the same things all the time too, with a slight variation in my meat and snacks. I've been losing so far, but I'm afraid I may end up stalled eventually, and may have to switch my foods around a bit.

That's my fear! I've only been on this for 3 weeks and I feel I am already stalling! But I also tend to think nothing is changing when my clothes are telling me otherwise....I'm nuts :laugh:
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    What's the plan for week 5?

Start all over again!!! The author of the e-book followed this plan for 9 months and looked outstanding.
    I've also noticed this has become normal for me. I don't want to consume all that crappy stuff and I'm not hungry until it's time for me to eat my meal/snack. So I'm hoping I'm creating a really good habit lol
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying with your calorie goals, it's toally fine to eat the same thing every.single.day. In fact, that is one of the things they say can help prevent binging. More exotic the food, the more it stimulates overeating.

However, this really is only a good idea for those who eat a healthy, nutritionally balanced diet, so that they're getting all the nutrients and vitamins. The main thing to switch up is veggies really, so that you get a variety of greens and colors.

That's my two cents. I like a boring menu plan so that I don't have to think about food so much.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What's the plan for week 5?

Start all over again!!! The author of the e-book followed this plan for 9 months and looked outstanding.
    I've also noticed this has become normal for me. I don't want to consume all that crappy stuff and I'm not hungry until it's time for me to eat my meal/snack. So I'm hoping I'm creating a really good habit lol

In the kindest way possible, I suggest you start learning how to eat for yourself. Unless you plan to follow a meal plan forever, eventually you're going to be stuck having to make your own food choices. This is often when people gain the weight back because they suddenly realize they have no idea how to eat without someone else's plans.
  • RoyainLA
    Options

In the kindest way possible, I suggest you start learning how to eat for yourself. Unless you plan to follow a meal plan forever, eventually you're going to be stuck having to make your own food choices. This is often when people gain the weight back because they suddenly realize they have no idea how to eat without someone else's plans.

Totally understand that comment, but that's why I said I'm forming good eating habits from this meal plan. Not that I know it all from this meal plan but it's a start. And I would have no issue following a meal plan for the rest of my life. Makes life easy.
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    I'm not asking about AFTER the meal plan =P though I appreciate your concern, I'm asking about something specific in which I wanted more understanding or clarification

When I get to the "NOW WHAT?" part of my journey, I will figure it out. Thank you though, I will keep it all in mind.
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    As long as you're staying with your calorie goals, it's toally fine to eat the same thing every.single.day. In fact, that is one of the things they say can help prevent binging. More exotic the food, the more it stimulates overeating.

However, this really is only a good idea for those who eat a healthy, nutritionally balanced diet, so that they're getting all the nutrients and vitamins. The main thing to switch up is veggies really, so that you get a variety of greens and colors.

That's my two cents. I like a boring menu plan so that I don't have to think about food so much.

Thank you!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    The macros refer to your nutrients, most often carbs, fat and protein and their ratio to each other in your total calorie goal. For a lot of people, finding the combination that works best for them is a matter of trial and error.

For me personally, I do better with a higher protein diet. I also take a multi-vitamin and a couple other vitamin supplements because I don't get enough of them in my food. I think I'm the only girl in SoCal with a vitamin d deficiency! :) I also take iron and b vitamins. But that's what works for me.

I'd be sure to weigh your food and keep an eye on your sodium. Often, the cup measurements for solids are more calories than the servings suggest. Food scales are pretty cheap. Go with the grams/ounces instead of the pieces/cups/tablespoons for solid foods.

Try reading this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    The macros refer to your nutrients, most often carbs, fat and protein and their ratio to each other in your total calorie goal. For a lot of people, finding the combination that works best for them is a matter of trial and error.

For me personally, I do better with a higher protein diet. I also take a multi-vitamin and a couple other vitamin supplements because I don't get enough of them in my food. I think I'm the only girl in SoCal with a vitamin d deficiency! :) I also take iron and b vitamins. But that's what works for me.

I'd be sure to weigh your food and keep an eye on your sodium. Often, the cup measurements for solids are more calories than the servings suggest. Food scales are pretty cheap. Go with the grams/ounces instead of the pieces/cups/tablespoons for solid foods.

Try reading this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I have a baaaaad vitamin D difficiency LOL
    I will be sure to read that thread, thank you!!
  • daweez04
    daweez04 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Totally understand that comment, but that's why I said I'm forming good eating habits from this meal plan. Not that I know it all from this meal plan but it's a start. And I would have no issue following a meal plan for the rest of my life. Makes life easy.

So does that mean you are willing to NEVER eat out again? NEVER eat at a friends again? What happens if you have to go on the road?

Eating 5 things won't teach you how to eat healthier, trial and error of trying 100s of things will. Learning to adjust your breakfast/lunch if you are going to have a huger dinner at a friends house.

If you are going to use a "plan", I suggest you start subbing stuff in to switch it up.

Also, you mentioned you aren't looking to the "after" part yet. That is a problem, there is no "after" in this crazy journey we are all on. Figure out how to eat now, and you will never have to worry about "Now what?".

To answer your question, no, eating the same thing every day won't hurt it. Calories in, calories out. Body can't suddenly start gathering more calories from a piece of chicken.

(edit for typo)
  • RoyainLA
    Options

So does that mean you are willing to NEVER eat out again? NEVER eat at a friends again? What happens if you have to go on the road?

Eating 5 things won't each you how to eat healthier, trial and error of trying 100s of things will. Learning to adjust your breakfast/lunch if you are going to have a huger dinner at a friends house.

If you are going to use a "plan", I suggest you start subbing stuff in to switch it up.

Also, you mentioned you aren't looking to the "after" part yet. That is a problem, there is no "after" in this crazy journey we are all on. Figure out how to eat now, and you will never have to worry about "Now what?".

To answer your question, no, eating the same thing every day won't hurt it. Calories in, calories out. Body can't suddenly start gathering more calories from a piece of chicken.

But that's not the issue right now. For me, if I keep worrying about 3 weeks out, 2 months out etc etc I never accomplish anything. RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW is just me figuring out this meal plan and what works for me. I totally get what you're saying but for the next two months, nope, don't plan on eating out or eating at a friend's because I really need to stick to something for once. My discipline is lacking and I'm stuck on THIS specific issue solely because I want to prove to myself I can do it. Once I DO it, I will absolutely figure it out. Not saying I haven't read up on different things to ensure I know what I"m doing AFTER but right now, I can't worry about anything outside of this plan otherwise....I know I won't go through with it. Not sure if that makes sense but that's how my brain works.

Eating the same 5 things for right now will help me remain disciplined so that I can practice that discipline in the "real world" while I learn the correct way to manage my eating habits.

:)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    only because eventually you will probably get bored, eat something "off plan" which is normally something quite calorie dense.

Deprivation is inversely correlational with consistency.
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    only because eventually you will probably get bored, eat something "off plan" which is normally something quite calorie dense.

Deprivation is inversely correlational with consistency.

I do try to switch it up, based on calories but I'm afraid it'll set something off so I tend to stay consistent. I will however, if I've been really wanting some type of food or snack or something "bad," I will cut my calories elsewhere so that I can have it. I try not to deprive myself but I try my hardest to stay within my calorie budget.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl - and you're just a little north of me! haha. I'm in Mission Viejo!