Exercise boredom!

Options
Hi all MFP members!

As I've been analyzing my fitness and diet habits that have led me to where I am today, I've discovered an interesting pattern -- my attention to exercise hovers right around a month before I get bored with what I'm doing and need to find another activity. I have participated in a slew of programs and I do enjoy being active, so my question is does this happen to anyone else and what do you do to stay interested and focused on maintaining an exercise regimen?

Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is do multiple things. Run one day, bike another, do weights, swim ect
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It happens to a lot of people! I think the only thing to do is to keep switching it up. If you really can't see yourself completing a 60 or a 90 day program go for 30 and then do something else. Or sign up for a 6 week boot camp. I know a few friends here in my neighborhood rotate DVD's every few months. You won't stick with something you can't stand and it's ok to be bored, it's important for our brains to stay active and engaged. We just can't let that be our excuse for NOT exercising at all. I've heard that from a few neighbors as well! I know there are lots of exercise programs on demand that you can watch anytime so that might be a good way to find something new.

Your boredom pattern could be a good thing for you if you think about it. Think of all the new things you can try in one year, 12!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    We have several exercise DVD's and a gym membership. I created a 90 day calender with what program I wanted to do for each day. I did that through windows calendar maker. I also hit the treadmill during the week at lunch time and on the weekends. Treadmill work is the most boring to me, so I decided to give myself a goal. I'm going to enter a 5K in February. That will keep me driven. Those are a few suggestions to help you out of a boredom phase.

Oh yeah, and updating my music for my Ipod all the time keeps things interesting.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I rotate activities simply because my schedule changes each day. So I look at each day and see what I can fit in. Some days it is walking or running, some days I can get to the gym or pool, and some days I have to make do with a dvd or the stationary bike (my least favorite!) It all depends on the schedule of activitis for the day. So I am happy to have many options. The key is just do SOMETHING!
  • celesalk
    Options
    I have the same problem! The days I can go to the gym, I either change up which machines I use or add in some climbing or swimming, or getting some friends to play some basketball or something. When I can't get to the gym, I will try some DVDs, Wii games, or (again) call some friends to do something active. I find even if I'm doing the same routine I'm tired off, having friends around helps a lot.

Also, look to see if your gym offers any challenges. I go to my school gym, so I'm not sure how different it is than normal gyms, but every month they offer some challenges and give a t-shirt or something to those who complete it. I did one over the Summer called "Cadio Madness"... basically I had to complete so many minutes of cardio every week for a month. Got in on it with a friend of mine. Sadly didn't make it through the whole thing, but my friend did. The gym then put up a poster with all the names of the people who completed it. Even though I didn't complete it, I've never been that on track with one gym program for so long without getting bored. Also, it kinda irks me that I didn't complete it, so I'm going to try again! =D
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Switching activities can only go so far to combat the lack of enthusiasm to exercise. It's a constant battle. I have tried everything to get inspired.

Here are the few things I do:

Participating in MFP forums
    Watch "The Biggest Loser"
    Watch any Rocky film (I'm a guy, sue me)
    Read fitness related books
    Buy new fitness equipment or apparrel
    Talk to friends who are into fitness
    Watch YouTube fitness related videos (the P90X ones are the best even though I don't do P90X)
    Look in the mirror (good or bad that should provide some motivation)
    Just get into my workout clothes and plan on doing a half-hearted workout.

The last item is the best thing. I find that once I get started I end up getting into it and do a respectable workout.

If someone makes a exercise-motivation pill it will earn millions. Until then we have to depend on our own determination.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep moving I don't think it matters but I do find that setting goals, like registering for a race does help keep me motivated. But in all honesty I really think that unless you quit working out or you lose intensity in your workouts everytime you try something new then there isn't a problem.
  • RFish
    RFish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and support; I am grateful!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Switching activities can only go so far to combat the lack of enthusiasm to exercise. It's a constant battle. I have tried everything to get inspired.

Here are the few things I do:

Participating in MFP forums
    Watch "The Biggest Loser"
    Watch any Rocky film (I'm a guy, sue me)
    Read fitness related books
    Buy new fitness equipment or apparrel
    Talk to friends who are into fitness
    Watch YouTube fitness related videos (the P90X ones are the best even though I don't do P90X)
    Look in the mirror (good or bad that should provide some motivation)
    Just get into my workout clothes and plan on doing a half-hearted workout.

The last item is the best thing. I find that once I get started I end up getting into it and do a respectable workout.

If someone makes a exercise-motivation pill it will earn millions. Until then we have to depend on our own determination.

Funny, these are the things that help me too. (Except for the Rocky thing). :laugh:

I was thinking about doing what Edorice has done - plotting a variety of exercises on a calendar so that there's always something different to do.

This week I made a point of doing something different every day and I was surprised how much more enjoyable all of it was! Example - Monday was elliptical, treadmill and abs. Tuesday was Zumba and abs. Wednesday was a run and abs. Thursday was a new Jillian DVD and zumba. Friday was the new Jillian DVD and kickboxing. Most of this stuff is old hat - but in new combinations like this, it felt fresh!!!

Good luck!