Preworkout Controversy

Options

Replies

• trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    I personally enjoy them. I wake up at 5:15 to get to the gym. It's easier to take a powder with a glass of cold water than it is to make a cup of coffee, which would mean getting up earlier. So it's good for at least the caffeine boost. Plus, I like those beta-alanine itches. Call me crazy.

99% of my friends love those tingles. I think I must be the crazy one that finds it annoying and makes me want to scratch my face off. haha
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have used preworkout before and liked it, but I started getting pretty bad stomach aches in the middle of lifting so I stopped. I don't miss them either.

Same here.

@ awtume9 & lorigem ... I've heard this happen with a couple of people I've asked! It doesn't really have any major affect on me, except when I first started taking it, it had a fiber-like affect within the first couple of minutes (:embarassed: tmi, sorry) but that doesn't really happen to me anymore. I just get the tingles from the beta alanine which I hate but other than that, all positive feelings. I tried Redbull ONCE in my life and my heart felt like it was palpitating and beating like crazy. I was worried this would happen with preworkout but not at all.

I didn't have any stomach aches if I took it sporadically...like once a week or so. It only happened when I would take it a few days in a row!
  • trisha986
    Options
    I drink two cups of coffee before each workout (workout twice a day) and I lace it with skim milk and whey protein.

During my workouts I drink a whey shake with left over coffee and water.

I always hit my macros on protein...always. For weightlfiters/bodybuilders, protein is the holy grail of macros.

Yes I don't neglect my protein macros!
  • trisha986
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their input. Very interesting to see everyones opinions!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple or banana about 30 minutes before a workout...
  • trisha986
    Options
    Different people will react differently to different pre-workout supplements. I personally would suggest to not to take it for a long term systematically even if you do breaks. But if you do take it, do breaks. I use normal coffee as a pre-workout but it has also disadvantage for increasing blood pressure.

I'd ultimately like to not ever take it again and still feel the same energy. I think I just need to work on my sleep for that I suppose, lol. It's just hard, I wake up early and have long work days. Then have a hard time falling asleep. But my friends that are against it say preworkout is hard on the kidneys and such. So I'm curious as to what the masses think...
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Never been a fan of pre workout drinks/foods, but I did have a pretty good routine down when I am on my 5K county race circuit of having a PB sandwich with honey 2.5 hours prior.

Not that this helps you at all.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trisha986
    Options
    Never been a fan of pre workout drinks/foods, but I did have a pretty good routine down when I am on my 5K county race circuit of having a PB sandwich with honey 2.5 hours prior.

Not that this helps you at all.

This post helps in that I'm very curious about other people's experiences/thoughts on this. Thanks for your input :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I'm obviously not on the level of these guys, but my favorite preworkout for lifting is a nice chicken sammich, ideally with fries and a nice caffeinated fizzy drink. I tried something with creatine in it for a while, and I thought I felt a difference but hated that it made my face break out like a teenager's... Coming off the creatine was pretty easy. As to caffeine, wouldn't touch it as a supplement but I already get a fair amount every day in the tea and soda I have with my meals.
  • trisha986
    Options
    Hmmmm. I'm obviously not on the level of these guys, but my favorite preworkout for lifting is a nice chicken sammich, ideally with fries and a nice caffeinated fizzy drink. I tried something with creatine in it for a while, and I thought I felt a difference but hated that it made my face break out like a teenager's... Coming off the creatine was pretty easy. As to caffeine, wouldn't touch it as a supplement but I already get a fair amount every day in the tea and soda I have with my meals.

That sounds way more delicious than preworkout powder, haha.

I love that all I have to do is dump it in water and 15 minutes later I'm ready to rock! Your way, although sounds yummy, I just don't have much time for. :( ... I definitely get enough caffeine in my day with the coffee I drink. Probably not good for my already quick beating heart to be drinking coffee AND preworkout ... blah!
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been using C4 off and on for a while and really like it. It's been a nice pick me up for my workouts, but I can't really attribute any significant strength gains to taking it. It just depends on your expectations of a pre-workout. Energy boost-yes. Massive strength gains-no.

I definitely use it for an energy boost. But that energy boost makes me more enthusiastic to lift heavier, work out longer. So I feel it has a cause and effect in both ways!

Agreed. It's definitely worth it to me. Recently got the pink lemonade flavored C4, and it's is super yummy.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

That sounds way more delicious than preworkout powder, haha.

I love that all I have to do is dump it in water and 15 minutes later I'm ready to rock! Your way, although sounds yummy, I just don't have much time for. :( ... I definitely get enough caffeine in my day with the coffee I drink. Probably not good for my already quick beating heart to be drinking coffee AND preworkout ... blah!
    Definitely a valid point. I'm spoiled by having weights at home. Re the caffeine and preworkout combination, yikes! I know people do it, but I'd rather just progress more slowly than put my heart through that. :ohwell:
  • rkaid
    rkaid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm probably just retarded but i find I over-exert myself taking stimulants pre workout.
    Years ago, Iv damaged a bicep, bunged my back etc.
    Get some caff into me and some workout music, its all over :D
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I used to use 1MR and the stuff made me exceptionally happy! haha

I use dfine8 and I feel it doesn't really do anything for me =/

but surely anything that doesn't come straight from the ground in to your stomach can't be good for you. They're all made in labs so that can't be good.
  • trisha986
    Options
    I'm probably just retarded but i find I over-exert myself taking stimulants pre workout.
    Years ago, Iv damaged a bicep, bunged my back etc.
    Get some caff into me and some workout music, its all over :D

Hahaha I pulled a muscle here and there due to over exerting myself. I think I rather over exert than feel like I have a 500 lb boulder on my back without my preworkout though! :/

@splucy yes thats what I'm struggling wth now. I rather keep it natural and organic but I love my C4 kick :(
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just switched to C4 from an ON pre. Loving the C4 (watermelon, yea!!).

With things like supps, I say to each their own. Use it... don't use it... it's all good with me. Personally, I choose to use it. I appreciate the extra boost with an early AM workout or a workout after a long day in the office. For me, it works.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I fuel with food during the day and only drink green tea, carb up and 30 mins before work out i take a strong coffee and beta alanine. Considering i run at 6 AM, straight to work and lift at 18.30 ish i do need a pick up. Keeps me going!