Beginners Work Out Routine

Options
Hi!

I've spent the last two months at the gym doing a short routine three time a week in the morning, whilst I'm quite happy with it at the moment I have been questioning whether it's helping me achieve my goals effectively.

Here's what I'm doing, I do this just before work so I can't spend longer than 40-50 mins on a session, all the strength training stuff I do 3 sets of 15 reps:

5 mins rowing

Chest Press Machine
Pull Downs
Shoulder Press Machine
Seated Row Machine
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Ab Crunch Machine

5 mins treadmill

Bearing in mind that my goal is to lose some weight (around 30 pounds) and look better I was wondering:

- Is this routine good for a starting point? If so how do I progress from here?
- It's a very rigid routine, what can I add/sustitute in to mix it up?
- For my goals would I be better off doing more cardio instead?
- Currently I'm doing the strength routine one set at a time (ie. I'll go on the chest press, do a set, move on to pull down,s do a set, repeat three times) would I be better off staying on a machine and performing all three sets consecutively (with breaks, of course)?

Finally, I'm trying to increase the amount of protein I take in, so currently I'm eating scrambled eggs in the morning and nuts, seeds and some beef jerky at lunch, chicken or fish for dinner... but it's only amounting to around 100g protein a day - is there anything I can easily add to boost this? Should I be boosting this anymore??

I would appreciate any advice here, whilst I do feel better already from having a routine I am somewhat lost at sea as to whether I've even got the basics right and how and when I can evolve the plan to makes even bigger gains to my goal.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    This is very similar to me and interested to see what responses you get.

I do the following in one sitting;
    Chest Press 3 * 15
    Ab Crunches 4 * 12
    Lateral Pulls 4 * 15
    then

Treadmill 25 minutes.

Over the course of the last few months I have reviewed the plan with the gym trainer and have adjusted the intervals on the treadmill as well as increasing weights when considered appropriate.
  • muckfoot
    muckfoot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're pretty similar, how's your's working out for you?

I do want to do more running as it'll probably help me with some of the sports I play, so perhaps I might copy your routine more and ditch some of the machines for more treadmill time.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is get off the machines and get on a beginner program like StrongLifts, Ice Cream Fitness, All Pro's, etc... to name a few. These are weight lifting beginner programs that focus on the main compound lifts for the most part and because you are doing mainly compound lifts, you are utilizing all the muscles in your body, not just specific ones that machines focus on (machines leave out a lot of stabilizing muscles that need to be strengthened as well). With weight loss, the proper stimulus of progressive resistance and protein intake will deter the loss of muscle during fat loss.

Do as much cardio as you think you need to, but the priority for weight loss should always be... diet, then strength training, then cardio (in that order).

Can't give a answer on your protein intake question as you don't provide enough info on your stats and current intake of calories.

Also, weight training progressively heavier will not "bulk" you unless you are eating a caloric excess to properly build muscle or have "medical assistance".
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    It is working really well for me but I don't use scales I only use measurements.
    It got me to my goal to be fair....

I tried running on treadmill a couple of times using C25K but played havoc with knees.
    Trainer identified a walking interval programme for me which starts tomorrow using various speeds and gradients.
    Have increased weight on all machines over last couple of months as well.
    Chest is currently at 30kg, Abs at 40kg and Pull at 30kg......not bulking I just tone as play a lot of golf!!! lol
  • muckfoot
    Options
    Thanks Cajuntank for the advice, I've just checked out StrongLifts and that seems like something I can get into in the near future - I checked out the Ice Cream Fitness one as well but I wouldn't have the time before work to do an entire routine, so I think StrongLifts is a better fit.

Stat wise, MFP has been aiming for 1720 calories a day and I'm 5 foot 9, 176 lbs.

JJDHFC - I've been shifting similar weight amounts currently as I too am not looking to bulk up. I've tried doing C25K outside the gym, bizarrely I've never considered trying it on a treadmill... I might give that a go, although if my knees start complaining I'll be stopping immediately!
  • Uba31
    Uba31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to do a running program, I just completed a 9 week on called "Couch to 5K". It's a series of walk/run workouts that helps you to either run for a full 30 minutes or a 5K. I had a lot of success with it, and I was starting from ground zero when it comes to running. It's 3 workouts a week and they start off at about 25 minutes and build to 40 as you run more.

(on a side note: I did the Couch to 5K program with a treadmill, and I only ran between 4.0-4.2 speed since I was a beginner, I'm slowly picking up speed and running more now that I'm a little more conditioned than I was 9 weeks ago!)

Otherwise, I would just suggest mixing your routines up to keep your muscles guessing.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Good for you for going in the morning! I love my sleep to much, so I sacrifice my lunch hour instead!

Your routine looks pretty solid. Any type of weight training is always a good start. My only advice would be to try and work your way away from the machines. You don't realize how much the machines are aiding you until you pick up a set of free weights. You depend more on other muscles to maintain your form using free weights and it gives you a better work out in my opinion. I was never sore after using the machines, but the first time I moved to free weights I couldn't move for a couple of days. Give it a shot and see what you think. Best of luck to you!

Edit: In response to your other question, I would do one set of each exercise and then move on to the next exercise. Circuit training has always helped break up the boredom and when I am really struggling to finish my last set, I know in my mind that it's the very last one I have to do of that exercise.
  • cajuntank
    Options
    Thanks Cajuntank for the advice, I've just checked out StrongLifts and that seems like something I can get into in the near future - I checked out the Ice Cream Fitness one as well but I wouldn't have the time before work to do an entire routine, so I think StrongLifts is a better fit.

Stat wise, MFP has been aiming for 1720 calories a day and I'm 5 foot 9, 176 lbs.

JJDHFC - I've been shifting similar weight amounts currently as I too am not looking to bulk up. I've tried doing C25K outside the gym, bizarrely I've never considered trying it on a treadmill... I might give that a go, although if my knees start complaining I'll be stopping immediately!

StrongLifts is fine...I ran it for almost a year before I progressed to an intermediate level program. With the weights being so light in the beginning, you will fly through the program, but do start off really light (program actually calls for starting off with just a 45lb weight bar if you've never lifted before...definitely an ego check for a guy) so that you can practice, practice, practice proper form. In regards to protein, try to shoot for around 160-176g a day based on your stats.
  • muckfoot
    Options
    Good for you for going in the morning! I love my sleep to much, so I sacrifice my lunch hour instead!

Your routine looks pretty solid. Any type of weight training is always a good start. My only advice would be to try and work your way away from the machines. You don't realize how much the machines are aiding you until you pick up a set of free weights. You depend more on other muscles to maintain your form using free weights and it gives you a better work out in my opinion. I was never sore after using the machines, but the first time I moved to free weights I couldn't move for a couple of days. Give it a shot and see what you think. Best of luck to you!

Edit: In response to your other question, I would do one set of each exercise and then move on to the next exercise. Circuit training has always helped break up the boredom and when I am really struggling to finish my last set, I know in my mind that it's the very last one I have to do of that exercise.

Thanks, with two kids at home it's literally the only time I can get to the gym!

I've been advised to aim at getting away from the machines and onto free weights before and once I'm into a routine of going to the gym I'll begin to change the machine sets to free weighted ones. I'll stick to doing it circuit training style for now, sounds dumb but I saw most other people staying on one machine for ages whilst I was hopping from one to another, it got me thinking "Am I doing this right?"
  • muckfoot
    Options

StrongLifts is fine...I ran it for almost a year before I progressed to an intermediate level program. With the weights being so light in the beginning, you will fly through the program, but do start off really light (program actually calls for starting off with just a 45lb weight bar if you've never lifted before...definitely an ego check for a guy) so that you can practice, practice, practice proper form. In regards to protein, try to shoot for around 160-176g a day based on your stats.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to start light when I begin to try this, like I said above once I'm in a routine of going to the gym (as it's still early days) I'll start for reals on something like this.

160-170g a day, what's the best way to hit this? Seriously, I'm struggling to cap 100g within my calorie goal and I'm putting away nuts, seeds, chicken, eggs... Is there some kind of protein boost food, besides the protein powders - I've got nothing against them but I would feel weird buying some "MEGA GAINS WHEY PROTEIN" supplement.
  • cajuntank
    Options

Thanks again, I'll be sure to start light when I begin to try this, like I said above once I'm in a routine of going to the gym (as it's still early days) I'll start for reals on something like this.

160-170g a day, what's the best way to hit this? Seriously, I'm struggling to cap 100g within my calorie goal and I'm putting away nuts, seeds, chicken, eggs... Is there some kind of protein boost food, besides the protein powders - I've got nothing against them but I would feel weird buying some "MEGA GAINS WHEY PROTEIN" supplement.

Whole foods are always the better option, but if this is still an issue, just some regular protein powder. Nothing that promotes weight gain in the title, but typically your everyday protein powder will be around 120-140 calories per serving for around 20-25 grams of protein and most are low fat and low carb. But of course, this still goes toward your overall daily caloric goal.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you should be doing free weights not machines, machines are crap,as a beginner you should do a full body routine based around heavy compounds, e.g. starting strength, ICF5X5, stronglifts 5x5 etc