How Long Did it Take You To Like/Love Running??

Options

Replies

• Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I have been running since middle school...mostly training for sports, then the military, then "recreational" runs like 5K's, 10K's, Half-Marathons and Marathons, then fun-runs like Mud Runs, etc...

I STILL don't "like" running. The sheer act of it I find asinine. I will do it occasionally purely to change up my routine, or to see some new sights, or to challenge myself in a different way. I have rarely ever said "I can't WAIT to go for a run today!". That doesn't mean I haven't found pleasure in finishing a race, or comraderie in running with others or on a team, or setting a personal record...but the act of running is boring, mundane, and not dynamic enough for my "liking".

I'm probably weird about that, I dunno. I'm blessed to be a naturally "good" runner, but that doesn't make me enjoy it any more...
  • jscanlon922
    jscanlon922 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this still counts as REAL running, but I took to the treadmill right away. The longer and faster I could run, the more I looked forward to the next run. Running outdoors.... I'm still working on enjoying those runs, although I have done a couple 5ks, but it's just not my thing at the moment.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but I am into year 44 and still not liking / loving running. In fairness to the sport, I only give it a real shot every 12 or 18 months or so and then only for a solid month at most, and the fact is I do love it when it involves chasing a ball or other players around a defined pitch. But running, for the sake of running . . . yeah, still not a close friend of mine.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I ran 8 miles on Sunday and 5 miles this morning. I don't love running. I do it for the endurance factor and because I feel so good when I am done. But the actual running? No I don't enjoy it. It hasn't even become easier for me. Every mile takes effort. I've never experienced runner's high even once.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have asthma though... :( Walking and running just make me feel at ease.

Me too, and yes! No other relaxation quite like it. Without thinking about letting go of stress, it just kind of disappears somewhere along the way. :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    maybe about 6 months. after i was able to run farther than 5 miles after that it's heaven. I just can't stop.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Until I joined a running group and learned how to build up to distance without worrying about speed (C25K is not for me). Now I like it, I'm not sure if I love it yet.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    About 6 months after I was born again (lost 60 lbs).

If you would have told me 2 years ago that I would soon be able to run for 90 min straight without a single rest, I would have slapped you in the face and called you a liar.

People, don't EVER underestimate your body's ability to adapt to new challenges. You have the greatest machine ever invented at your disposal...now go out and find a new way to challenge it.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I was able to run my first mile without stopping or feeling out of breath. I had never, in my life, done that before. I had noticeably improved at something I put a lot of effort into. I still get great feelings of accomplishment when I reach a new longest distance or a new pr for a given race.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    About 2 months. That's how long it took me to go from the couch to a 5k. I couldn't run three quarters of a mile when I started, but every time I improved my distance or my pace I felt a sense of accomplishment that made me want to go farther and faster. Two and half years later, I'm working on my third marathon.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would never run. I hated it. I used to think it was so silly to run. My knees and hip would hurt so bad. Then I started to work out and get stronger, my health got better. My friends talked me into running a 5k. So one day I put my phone in an arm band and put on the C25K app. After the first run/walk interval I just started to run, just to see how far I could go. From that day on I've been hooked. Once you find your groove and find ways you are able to push yourself, I think that's when it gets to the love side of things.

Keep with it. Before too long you will be beating your previous time, and that's when it gets exciting :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When it was forced on me by my job, I hated it. When I realized it could help me achieve my personal goals, I loved it.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i'll echo other posters.. slow and steady wins the race (of enjoying running)! being breathless for a minute or two is okay, but for several miles is sucky and likely unsustainable for the average athlete. i have asthma, and i like running because if i am feeling a little breathless, i can just slow down and keep moving, then pick up again when i am feeling better. for this same reason, i like swimming and biking. however.. it all takes time to feel like you have comfort with a new sport.. i'd give it a couple months of running a couch to 10k before i would expect any major changes.

another plug: i love running my dog. he likes it so much that it makes me really happy. sometimes when i have a run scheduled (i'm training for triathlons this year), and i don't want to do it or am tired, he gives me the motivation!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When I stopped feeling like I was going to die every time I ran. Once I could actually breathe and my lungs and legs didn't hurt, I started to like it. That took about 3-4 months of running three times a week and even so, I have bad days now and then where I hate it again.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I remember the day that I was running...probably about a month or two after I started...and I realized that I wasn't tired, I wasn't short of breath...and I wanted to keep going (not stop and walk)...after that, I couldn't wait to do it again, and again. I am hooked now. Same thing with cycling...I love it now, hated it when I started because it was "SO HARD". It all depends on what goals you want to attain. Do you want to be "a runner"...? If so, you will make it happen. Good luck!!! If I can do it...anyone can do it!!! :smile:
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I could go 2 miles without my lungs burning up. It became some quality head clearing time.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Still not much of a runner, never wanted to be....until my doctor told me I should NEVER run again after I had hip surgery.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple of years now - and I used to hate running!

To be honest I still don't enjoy it while I'm doing it, but find the way I feel afterwards is totally worth it.

As some people have already stated, start slow - don't try and run a 5 mile without building up the capacity first. When I started I could barely run for a minute straight, now I go for a 30 minute run 5 days a week. Some people like listening to music, I like listening to audio books because the stories distract me from the activity at hand. :)
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some of the girls at work are talking about running the 10K at the Toronto Zoo in September. I'm not a runner and never have been, but I don't want to be left out. I'm hoping to use this as motivation for running and exercising. Most people I've spoken to say they originally hated running but the longer they did it the better it got. How long did it take you to not hate or like/love running? I'm trying to gauge how long I'll be dreading the workouts for the Couch to 10K app.

Also if anyone has any great tips, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!
    I didn't know there was a 10k at the zoo! That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll look into doing it myself.

As for how long to not hate it... Once I saw results probably. Once I could feel my lung capacity go up and my muscles get stronger. Probably roughly a month or so?
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I hate running... never could get into it.. even when i was in the army.... I am a walker.. and I have found great enjoyment in just doing a quick pace... swinging my arms... most days I walk 18km (11miles) .. and on sunday much further...

Whatever exercise (cardio) you decide to do.. you have to enjoy it... cardio is the key to weightloss and later for maintaince..

If you decide to do something hate you hate..you're not going to stick with it...