Has anyone lost and regained?

Options
124»

Replies

• media2law
    media2law Posts: 13
    Options
    Last Halloween I was 20 poounds from goal and by New Year's I had gained 20 more. i blamed it on the holidays but the truth of the matter was I was sabbotaging myself. Emotional eating is horrible and I let it rob me of my victory. Lol! Just embrace the new you even if it is not the you that you thought you'd be and move forward with healthy eating and fitness.
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had lost 100 lb. and regained it all back over a period of time and have decided to lose it again so I am really trying! When I lost all the weight, I thought it was okay to eat some of the foods I used to eat that I really enjoyed. Then the old habits came back! I had to realize that the good habits are made for a lifetime and a way of life not to lose more but to maintain. It is as hard to keep it off as it is to lose weight. Especially when life throws you a curve ball, which is stress of course. It creeps up on you bringing depression sometimes. A lot of times you don't really care. Makes you finally feel real bad. Just have to pick yourself up, give yourself a good talking to and be in charge of your life! Don't ever give up! In life you have 3 choices Give up, Give in, or Give it your all! You will be glad you gave it your all!
  • rewardinglife
    Options
    Aimee you are not alone. The self esteem problem does indeed come from regaining the weight. I have struggled for the last 14 years and felt the same way you do. I would loose 20 then gain 30. I too was a comfort food eater. What I did was I found something else other than calories that gave me comfort and when I wanted to reach for that reses cup I went for my substitute: fresh ginger, lemon and hot water. To me I found it to bring me comfort and after about a month I had done it. I no longer stress eat. When I feel the urge I go for the ginger lemon water. Try it....... you want to do this I can hear it.... So just take a deep breath and put one step in front of the other. What also worked for me.... I didn't look at the huge end result. I took it 5 pounds at a time. you can do this.......... I would love to be your friend on here and we can support each other. WE have very similar issues. Hang in there.......
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Depression is a killer.

I lost 58 pounds in about 6 months and kept it off for a year. Then a woman ripped out my heart and I lost all drive to live, exercise, eat right.

It's been almost 3 years since that and I just got back to trying to fix myself again a few weeks ago. (I had regained 30 pounds).

I still am not okay inside, but I want to at least be better on the outside.
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    So not alone! I lost my freshman 50 from culinary school only to gain 80 back after I got married! Then I lost 40, and gained it back - then 20 and gained it back. The 20 pounds came and went only 3 months ago. It really sucks but I know I can do this permanently. And so can you!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I think part of the problem with regaining weight... is losing it the wrong way the first time. Some people come on here eating 1200 calories and working out 3hrs/day and lose a ton of weight... but when they reach their goal they have no clue how to maintain and gain it back... or something "dramatic" happens which keeps them from limiting their intake so drastically or working out so much and they gain it back. I've been there. I was 2# from my goal doing all the above "wrong things"... got tired of my plateau and stopped... gained it all back. Obviously... I didn't learn anything.

This time around I eat when I'm hungry. My goal is 1500 but if I'm still hungry... I'll eat an extra snack for 100 calories if I want it. I only work out about 5hrs or less each week. I eat pizza and chips and drink wine and have ice cream... all in moderation. Don't start something today that you can't continue forever. That's what I always say... because if you still allow yourself to eat those things and its not such a sacrifice... it will be second nature to eat better and eat reasonable portions and you won't have to try so hard. As for the comfort food... I find that keeping myself busy with something else in the evenings helps. I've started crocheting in the evenings while hubby and I are watching tv to keep my hands busy and I don't reach for treats.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Aimee,
    I think 99% of us go through the same problem with maintaining a weight loss. I personally lost 52.5 lbs and then a couple of years later regained 20 or so. I have kept off 35 lbs for 5 years, but never been able to shed the last 15 or so. i yoyo around between 170 and 180.
    Try to focus on the positive fact that you are not all the way back where you started. I know what you mean about feeling depressed though. It sucks to not be able to find the same motivation that was once there. I ask myself why isn't the motivation there any more? Maybe it is because during our first attempt at loss, it felt all new and exciting and we were relishing the accomplishment. And now, we just feel like failures.

I am trying (as of a couple of days), to think about my future self. How would my future self feel if I just do what feels good right now, like scarfing down a few cookies, or caving in to some other food craving, or playing on the computer instead of doing my workout, or if I continue avoiding whatever else I am avoiding like work work. Are we just procrastinating on the weight loss, like we procrastinate on other things? Lately I am trying to remember a line that Homer Simpson said:

Marge: You know, some day these kids will be out of the house and you'll regret not spending more time with them.
    Homer: That's a problem for Future Dad. Man, I don't envy that guy.

Lol. So think about trying to make your FUTURE self happy by making good choices today. You don't want your future self to be even more unhappy than your present self, do you?
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    in 2008 I lost 121 pounds ... then I got sick and gained it all back. I got sick because of bad crash dieting.

in 2013 I lost 30 pounds and gained back twelve when I got ill, but I was still 18 pounds lighter than before. Now I have lost another 19 or so.

I plan to try to stay more steady. Long range thinking. Since I have chronic digestive issues, I feel If I do have another health problem I want to be healthier to combat it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sure have. In 2011 I went from about 175 pounds down to about 155 pounds (see my main profile pic for me at 155). After accomplishing that I mentally checked off "get fit" from my to-do list and moved on to my next line item "succeed at career" I then spent 3 years fully focused on my career during which I was promoted and did a lot of good work, yet, became so focused that I forgot about my body and my health. During that time I put on 35 pounds to go up to 190. I literally didn't notice.

I don't feel like I have "crash dieting" to blame either for the regain. I lost that weight in a pretty healthy manner while eating probably on average 2400 calories a day. I just lost sight of my health and focused on something else instead.

My problem is I tend to get focused like a hawk on a single goal, I am a horrible multitasker. Now I am back at losing that weight and I am down to 180 on my way back to ~155. This time I hope to add in that extra oh so important goal of transitioning to maintenance and a workout routinue that emphisizes strength and muscle building over cardio endurance.

I don't know if this makes me strange but weight loss comes easy for me, its the maintenance that I need to learn how to do.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am "there" too. Some medical issues interfered with my exercise, then my diet began to fall like dominoes. I am an emotional eater, always have been. Thought I had finally overcome that when depression and holiday foods combined for a catastrophic storm. Regained 30 of 71, digusted with myself and regrouping for a sucessful return to working my goal. Good luck to you...one day at a time. Mindful food choices and feeling good go hand in hand. :)
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 20 to a size 10. Then thanks to stress binging on crisps and chocolate and to be fair enjoying things like kebabs and pizza, I'm back into a size 16. When I lost the weight I deliberately got rid of everything greater than size 14 as I knew I'd slide into whatever size clothes I keep. Determined not to go shopping for clothes and get back down again.

The weakness for me so saying "oh it's only a few lb that's easy to lose if I put my mind to it". Turned out to be a disastrous attitude
    It started me on a dangerous slide

Have a great holiday
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost close to 80 pounds over a year ago. Gained it all back.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 pounds, gained 15-19 back. I've since lost about 5 of that. I had been part of a massive layoff from work and that's part of what 'did it' - depression in addition to everything else in my life (dragging on yucky divorce, stress being the only income provider, single mom, finances, etc.). I didn't update my ticker for the longest time, but who was I kidding? no one but MYSELF! remember that this is a lifestyle change - it's not a sprint. don't get discouraged. just dust yourself off and keep on going! :flowerforyou:
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in one year by exercising and counting calories. I was 8 lbs away from my goal then, I became a stay at home mom for 11 months. I was really depressed with not working and regained 35 lbs in that short time. I'm working again so that should help, but I can't seem to get my emotional eating under control. Now I'm going on a trip to Hawaii and wearing a bathing suit really shows the damage I've done. My thighs are somehow bigger than when I was fat before. I need some positive advice. No rude comments please. I just feel uncomfortable this way and very sad.

No sweat dear.... it happens, has happened to me many times.... lost 33 pounds in 2001, put back 40... lost 25 in 2004, put back 35.... and then I got up to 302 pounds... I've been doing really good with it... dropped almost 50 pounds and then in the winter gained 15...

It's a never ending struggle and I hear that when you've lost weight you have to even work harder for that calorie burn smh. But you can do it!! I can tell! :flowerforyou:
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Twice 30 the first time..50ish the 2nd time
  • ssofrigid
    Options
    I have lost the same 100 pounds for almost my entire life. I thought I had it beat 6 years ago with Medifast but got pregnant and gained it all back. I've never been able to keep it off as my body, will, or self-control let me down. Just keep on, keeping on.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I lost around 35lbs on my first visit to MFP, and I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week. I had a really bad bout of sciatica in my legs for around 4 months, so I couldn't get to the gym. Because I was eating my burned calories back, I carried on eating the same, but without the cardio and gained back 20lbs. I've lost it again this time thankfully, but like others have said, regaining happens. It's getting back into the swing of things that is probably the hardest thing of all.
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    will power and self discipline are skills that can be learned and trained.

"Will power and self discipline", as people typically use these terms, are merely healthy habits learned through training. It isn't some mystical power some people possess and other, weaker, people lack.

Ok, lifting a car off a child might be an act of will power rather than habit. I am incorrect in saying no one has will power.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So glad that I found this thread. I am in the same boat. For some reason I thought that I am the only one who lost and gained the same 20lbs perhaps about 10 times during the last 6 years. For me it is all about sustainability of whatever new, healthier lifestyle I choose.

I get a bit smarter as I get older (I am 35). I noticed that I get bored with the same easily trackable (calorie-wise) food after couple of months, I lack creativity in cooking, I struggle to estimate those leftovers from the children’s supper.. so I stick with a boring piece of ham and cucumber.. .none of it worked long term.

I could probably put my effort into getting my *kitten* out to exercise, but I always wonder about those former “fatties” who all of a sudden aim for marathon’s or weight liftings. Will they sustain that lifestyle once they finished losing? Maybe! But I would not. So I am not even starting.

This time I am taking it easy. I need to live life today and not when I am slim (thanks for pointing this out!). God, I don’t even know what is to be slim. I have never been. My current calorie count is 1700 a day. I aim to eliminate caffeine, sodas, white carbs, sugars. I aim to have max 1200 before dinner. Then I eat children’s sized portion of whatever I am cooking for them; in that way I feel included and I don’t bother with counting calories. If the weight comes off then I am doing it right. If not, then I will adjust.
    I don’t think that I will ever become very sporty or join the gym, but I love cycling in a local park so I try to do it more often. I started taking my kids with me, again it gives me double pleasure. As long as it is sustainable I should be OK.

I do love MFP and amazing support here but in the past, if I stop logging (if I am away or the food is non measurable) then I would just fall off the wagon.

Also at the age of 35 I have started to be more conscious health-wise.

I believe that with the right mindset I will succeed. Slowly but without stopping to live my life.