Which Way Is The Best Way To Loose Weight??

Options
Ok, So I have tried every diet under the stars... I have spent more money than I dont know what... and the result is... I am confused more than ever. Low Fat, Low Calorie, No Carb... All Protein.... What is the best way to loose weight?? I recently went through a really tough time in my life and I lost a lot of weight. I didnt feel like eating... and lost like 30 lbs in 4 months... unrealistic way to loose weight... now that things are finally coming together in my life I find myself eating more and more. I love to cook, but of course being a southern girl... I tend to cook all the wrong things. I have tried to be a little more cautious making meals, whole grains... but the fact of it is... when I cook... I COOK! And I mean a meal, meat, side, veggie, and bread. And if I dont have time... drive thru it is. I looked at a picture of myself the other day and I wanted to cry... I am going right back to that person that I dont want to be. Before I started loosing, I didnt see myself "big". In my mind I still looked good... but when I look back... I didnt even have a chin! I dont know how I got to that point! That wasnt the person I had envisioned in my mind... now I am going right back to that. SO I have made a point today to say that is enough... time to start back the other way. I have done it once before now to do it again. But now, what way is the best way to do it?? The stress is gone... now I actually have to do it consciously... can anyone help?? Anyone have any hints??

Replies

• no1uffan
    Options
    Ok, So I have tried every diet under the stars... I have spent more money than I dont know what... and the result is... I am confused more than ever. Low Fat, Low Calorie, No Carb... All Protein.... What is the best way to loose weight?? I recently went through a really tough time in my life and I lost a lot of weight. I didnt feel like eating... and lost like 30 lbs in 4 months... unrealistic way to loose weight... now that things are finally coming together in my life I find myself eating more and more. I love to cook, but of course being a southern girl... I tend to cook all the wrong things. I have tried to be a little more cautious making meals, whole grains... but the fact of it is... when I cook... I COOK! And I mean a meal, meat, side, veggie, and bread. And if I dont have time... drive thru it is. I looked at a picture of myself the other day and I wanted to cry... I am going right back to that person that I dont want to be. Before I started loosing, I didnt see myself "big". In my mind I still looked good... but when I look back... I didnt even have a chin! I dont know how I got to that point! That wasnt the person I had envisioned in my mind... now I am going right back to that. SO I have made a point today to say that is enough... time to start back the other way. I have done it once before now to do it again. But now, what way is the best way to do it?? The stress is gone... now I actually have to do it consciously... can anyone help?? Anyone have any hints??
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    The best way is whichever way works for you -- that you can do for the rest of your life. Can you go low-carb or low-fat the rest of your life? Probably not. Can you exercise both your body and portion control - most likely.

Good luck to you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The best way is whichever way works for you -- that you can do for the rest of your life. Can you go low-carb or low-fat the rest of your life? Probably not. Can you exercise both your body and portion control - most likely.

Good luck to you.

Exactly.
    Because of genetics, no one gets the same benefits from all the different ways of eating.
    Can low carb work? Yup. Can low fat work? Yup. Can an equal balance of all three nutrients work? Yup. Can any of them work if you don't do research, practice portion control, refrain from cheating, or exercise? Nope.

The best way to lose fat is to choose a safe and healthy way of eating, stick to it, and burn 500 calories a day more than you eat. The way to burn calories is weight lifting and cardiovascular activity. It's as easy as that. :smile:
  • dr_sus
    dr_sus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I personally like this whole idea of counting calories, or points or whatever. This way you get to eat all of the foods you love and you can maintain it for a lifetime. If you go on Atkins and lose weight, then start eating like a normal human being again, you end up gaining the weight back. You also put yourself at risk for clogged arteries, heart attacks and strokes. I really try to eat lean meats, lots of fruits as my snacks, veggies, nonfat yogurt (Trader Joe's!!!). If I get to the end of the day and I am 200 calories under the allowable, then I get a yummy treat like a cookie dough or something I really enjoy. But if you are eating healthy foods, you will find that you can eat more of them (steamed veggies) because they have fewer calories/gram than fattening unhealthy foods. I have cut down on red meat b/c of cholesterol and heart attack and stroke risks and am working out 3-4x/week. My goal is 3x and if I want to do more I can. I just don't want to burn out. Good luck!
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Portion control and calorie counting......gimmicks and "themes" don't work because you can't keep it up. Weight loss is a simple matter of calories in and calories out.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Exercise+good eating+patience=weight loss.:flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vivia, and I have lost 30 lbs over 4 1/2 months and I did it eating healthy and exercising. The other 20 might be harder to lose but i keep working on it everyday. You do have to eat healthier and look for different ideas for food substitutions. I rarely eat bread but when I do it is usually wheat. I use brown rice now, I didn't when I started. I do eat alot of salad but I happen to love salad. Snacks are limited to anything under a hundred calories at a time. I will say you do have to do cardio or your metabolism will never get high enough to lose weight. Good luck, we all wish you well, see you in the posts.
  • kris1416
    Options
    A time ago I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks....because of stress in my life....talk about unhealthy... A few years later just like you my life went upward and so did my weight...BIG TIME. My new years resolution was to start losing weight and feel good about myself. So everyday no matter how I feel I get up, shower, dress, and my son (2yrold) and I head to the gym. I second guess myself all the time (30 more min of sleep wont hurt, maybe I'll stop at 10 minutes on the treadmill, etc.) but truth is.... I feel sooooo much better when I push through and make myself get up or make myself do 20 minutes on the treadmill. Now I'm new at this and have a way to go so I'll be on the journey with you. Do what's best for you and you'll achieve all your dreams!!! Much success to all
  • coakleyjoa
    Options
    I agree that the answer to that is different for everybody but keeping track of what goes in your mouth is a big help.
    We eat without paying attention and the calories add up.
    You owe it to yourself to exercise. Walking outside is my exercise of choice but you have to pick something you like and will keep on doing a year from now.