Grocery Store Trips - Go To Items

Options
I'm starting this journey, and find myself a little overwhelmed with going to the grocery store.

What are some of your common "go-to" items that you always keep on hand to help in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• cgrezlak
    Options
    Skim milk, Greek yogurt, egg whites, 99% fat free ground turkey, fruit and veggies
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    string cheese, 94% fat free popcorn, light breads, and lots of fruits and veggies!
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    greek yogurt and high fiber low sugar cereals. blueberries. apples....lots of eggs
  • SouthernRae
    SouthernRae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, Greek yogurt, egg whites, 99% fat free ground turkey, fruit and veggies

Do you eat the yogurt straight? or mix it with stuff? Thanks for the advice
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I make most of my foods from scratch so my list is a little weird.

Veggies to steam with dinner
    fruits
    Laughing Cow cheese - 35 cal
    Lender's bagel - 150 per bagel
    air popcorn - 100 cal
    whole wheat pizza dough
    chicken breast
    Mrs. Dash (cajun, southwest, Italian etc.)
    frozen fish fillets
    romaine lettuce
    Healthy Choice (every other day due to sodium content)
    Lean pockets
    Activia chocolate pudding
  • jmae418
    jmae418 Posts: 17
    Options
    I like to mix plain non-fat Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon sugar free strawberry jelly. The jelly adds just enough sweetness. I have also added 1 teaspoon on Nutella and that was amazing!!! However I dont recomend doing that often.

I like to keep frozen fruits on hand. They mix well with a little ice and Almond milk for a yummy smoothie.:happy:
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

Do you eat the yogurt straight? or mix it with stuff? Thanks for the advice

A trick for the plain greek yogurt....1) add sugar free coco mix and have it as a dipping sauce for straberries and bananas. 2) add some lime zest, lime juice, and a squeeze of honey for a honey-lime suace for tacos or other mexican influanced food. YUM!

For greek yogurt, I like Chobani. They have a lot of fruit flavors.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have Aldi grocery stores around you, but they have a product line caled Fit & Active that features a lot of healthy food/snack items. Aside from that, we always have around 3 dozen eggs, bananas, Lite string cheese, vegetables, LIte yogurt, Oatmeal(quick oats), cinnamon(no calories!), lean (93%) hamburger, and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I don't eat "clean" like some do because i chose not to. I enjoy food too much, probably why i got fat. Now i watch my calories, and run at least three days a week (plus spin two days) so i can eat and still lose weight. It works for me.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always like to have options, I also gotta make sure I can cook all the food I have as I live alone

I always have the following:

Chicken breasts
    Frozen fruit for smoothies
    Frozen corn and peas
    Fresh fruit (apples, banana, some kind of berry)
    Vegetables (green beans, tomato, garlic, carrots, peppers, broccoli, bok choy, mushrooms, onions, celery)
    1% milk
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Light cheese block
    Laughing cow cheese
    Low fat/sugar free yogurt, right now I have some Greek yogurt on hand
    White rice (I know it's not good but I can't stand brown)
    Quinoa
    Ww pasta
    Bread
    Honey
    Peanut butter
    Fruit jam
    Rice cakes
    Variety of teas
    Some sort of treat, right now it's chocolate (I know)

These are my essentials!!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast fillets
    tortillas
    fruit - bananas, oranges, tomato, pepper
    vegetables - lettuce, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, frozen veges
    eggs
    semi skimmed milk
    fish
    lean mince beef
    Peanut butter
    Greek yogurt (usually mix with apple or berries)
  • Kandy3
    Kandy3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    I must admit a lot of your foodstuffs sound much more elegantly delicious than this side of the pond! What exactly is 'string cheese??'