College Student Trying to Slim Down

Options
Hello Everyone!
I am a 2nd year college student that gained quite a bit a weight my freshman year. I am looking to not only lose that weight but some more as well. I am looking for others that may be in the same situation now or have been. I am looking for friends that can help hold each other accountable. Add me if you can relate or are just looking for a weight loss friend!! :)

Replies

• dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    I've kept 60+ pounds off since I started my own path. I know tracking and using this site is a great first step! It was tracking that really helped me keep control of it. I gained my own freshman 25 (it was not 10) a while ago, but it's gone for good now. :)
  • run4goals
    Options
    First good luck on your way. I have lost more than 40 pounds and trying to lose few more. we can be friends. I sent you request :)
  • 11gmailcom
    11gmailcom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hey! exactly the same situation here: 2nd year student trying to lose my fresher weight and then some! how is it going for you so far?
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 but when I was in college a few years ago, I gained 20 lbs over my first 3 years. I ended up losing it by graduation by doing the following:

1. Get off my meal plan. Seriously. It wasn't doing me ANY good. Even the veggies they had in the dining hall were loaded with butter, and salad got boring after a while. I would often make things like turkey chili that I bulked up by adding some brown rice. It was pretty cheap, I didn't have to cook that often because I made large batches, and it actually was very tasty :)

2. Bring snacks with you in your bag every day. Inevitably, something will come up where you can't get back to your dorm/apt/house and those snacks on campus start looking really tempting. If you've already packed something, it's a lot easier to resist. Grapes were really easy for me- just wash and put in a bag!

3. Get exercise whenever you can. And I'm not talking hitting the gym. If you have time for that, great. But- many campuses are pretty spaced out and some are hilly, so if you walk everywhere rather than driving around or taking a bus, that's like a built in workout. I also played recreational soccer. I admit, I wasn't very good at it, but it was a great way to meet people too.

4. Drink tons of water. It's free, and has 0 calories. We had a Starbucks on campus and some of my fav drinks easily had 300+ calories- which in some cases is what I now eat in a meal!!

Anyway, good luck on your journey! You'll have to be patient- success doesn't happen overnight. But, it'll be worth it!
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 25 too, but still in college. I lost 20 pounds on MFP before and then went back to school while working full time. I ended up gaining the 20 back and then almost 20 more, just over the past year. :( I'm at it again so hopefully I can come up with a plan that works throughout the school year too. I think the best thing to do is to try to find somewhere on campus where you know the calorie information or can easily access it. I can't tell you how many times I resorted to eating pizza or other crap while I was studying because I didn't look for a healthy, quick meal to fall back on.
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I graduated last year and I am going on for a further degree starting in August, I put on about 50 lbs (EEK) in college and I am trying to lose that and a bit more.

I have been really successful setting fitness goals by signing up for 5ks and a Tough Mudder which keep me in the gym. Food can be really difficult in college but what has been helping me this year is doing meal prep on Sundays so everything is already ready and I don't have a valid busy excuse, all my food is ready or just needs to be warmed up!

Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • thebrokentide
    thebrokentide Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had to issue when I was at a community college and living at home but once I moved away and lived by myself I put the pounds on. I had no motivation to cook for myself so I went out to eat almost every day. Sometimes twice a day. I've putting on about 23 lbs or so since college started. Now, I'm trying to loose it and some.

I'm doing the paleo diet, so I can't go out to eat.