Lifting...strong lifts? Heavy?? Help!

Options

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Wolfsbayne, are you are saying that Mehdi no longer charges for membership to his inner circle of his forum, because he had been for a few years. Of course you can do the program, but the site had become a pay site in late 2007.

I think she is just saying that the StrongLifts program is no cost along with the general info on that site. But yes, the "inner circle" forum site does cost.

That's what I'm sayin' :drinker: I just don't need to be a member of his inner circle. I've got my own right here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Hey I know you...

I agree with Wolf...I haven't even looked at the SL site except to watch the videos...didn't join just read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

watched the videos and got started.

I prefer this because instead of power cleans it's got pendlay rows...not that interesting in cleans yet...

yeah, I haven't been to the Stronglifts site since I first started. OP, the above link is what you need should you choose SL. There are a lot of women in that group that have done SL and a mix of other stuff and they are a wealth of information for lifting. It's a very supportive group.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    it can be useful- i'm not saying it's not.

But it shouldn't be coming once or twice a day. that's excessive.

Perhaps he's trying to lure me to his "inner circle"--heh. At the end of the emails is always a link to join, but I'm not buying :laugh:

I use StrongLifts, and I get the daily email from Mehdi. some of the information is useful. I also get invited to join his "inner Circle" at the end of the email, but I don't have to join anything. The program, and videos are FREE.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I chose strong lifts because lifting 3x a week works better for me and its very simple. Nrolfw is a good read but i didn't want that many lifts. I used starting strength dvd (& toutube) to familarize myself with the lifts.

I got the info online and then unsubscribed from the emails. No need for an "inner circle".
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I use Stronglifts 5x5, I don't pay anything at all. I downloaded the FREE phone app to track my workouts. I love it.
  • jfrice12
    jfrice12 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi! Saw this post, and I just HAD to comment!
    I'm a female lifter too. I used to do power lifting and crossfit for fun, and I loved it. I hurt my back a year ago trying to maxing out at a 225# squat - bad idea. Like many others have said, heavy lifting is not what will get you results. I did it because it was fun, and I loved getting my numbers up - but if you're wanting to get a toned body, it's repetitive low weight sets (but of course eventually you will be able to increase weight over time - but be careful! do NOT (i mean really, do NOOOOOTTT) do ANY kind of lifting without learning proper form. This is a great way to rip up your joints and tear muscles. If you can't find a trainer, please do all the research you can (youtube is great for this) before trying any lifts. A good way to keep yourself safe is to get a buddy to watch you, and make sure your form is correct. Even in the mirror, it's hard to tell if you have right form.

Anyway, background aside, I think this website will help you tremendously to get started. It goes into the background of female weight lifting and even gives, in my opinion, a really thorough and enjoyable workout regimen for females:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Last bit of advice, do not push yourself. Seriously. Don't. With cardio, you can feel the 'exhaustion' very easily - your legs get numb and your heart is tired. However, with weight lifting, even a little will do a lot. With me, I never have the 'cardio tiredness' after a workout - you should never push yourself to that limit. This is because muscle training may not feel exhausting, but it really takes its effect the next day (you will get the jello legs for sure.) A lot of weight training has a few sets with only a few reps each - don't try to force yourself to do more until you understand your body's limits.

Good luck!

Jennie
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bumping to check out the links at home. Thanks for all the info.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a female lifter too. I used to do power lifting and crossfit for fun, and I loved it. I hurt my back a year ago trying to maxing out at a 225# squat - bad idea. Like many others have said, heavy lifting is not what will get you results. I did it because it was fun, and I loved getting my numbers up - but if you're wanting to get a toned body, it's repetitive low weight sets (but of course eventually you will be able to increase weight over time - but be careful! do NOT (i mean really, do NOOOOOTTT) do ANY kind of lifting without learning proper form. This is a great way to rip up your joints and tear muscles. If you can't find a trainer, please do all the research you can (youtube is great for this) before trying any lifts. A good way to keep yourself safe is to get a buddy to watch you, and make sure your form is correct. Even in the mirror, it's hard to tell if you have right form.

are you for real?

repetitive low weight reps???

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

no.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options

are you for real?

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

no.
    ^ I second that! (JoRocka's comments that is.) :wink:
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bumping because I'm interested as well.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options

confused_lion_king.gif
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Stronglifts programing is a good beginners program and once 5x5 becomes too much, it goes to 3x5 an is almost identical to Starting Strength. I personally just do not like Mehdi's business practices and can see no reason for people to get sucked into paying to join his site when the same information is available for free. But to each their own. Hopefully as a business owner and marketer he has matured since 2008.

He hasn't, he is a misogynistic *kitten*.

The program works, though he stole it from Reg Park and modified it every so slightly. And if you do as suggested (I did not when I was doing it) and start with the bar, you will have a few months to work form and mobility before the weights get challenging.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

are you for real?

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

no.

To refute this, I would refer the poster to this fellow poster, who does the Wendler 5x3x1 program.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com//fivethreeone
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

confused_lion_king.gif

jfrice is right about the form, at least. Definitely definitely learn to do the lifts correctly. When I deadlift wrong, my back hurts really bad. When I did squats wrong, my knee always hurt afterwards. Don't think that lifting heavy means it is supposed to hurt. It is supposed to be difficult, and you will almost certainly get sore, but it shouldn't hurt your joints or spine all the time. Youtube is a good resource, because you can look at a lot of different people doing it, instead of just having one friend or one trainer who thinks they know what they're doing.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options

confused_lion_king.gif

jfrice is right about the form, at least. Definitely definitely learn to do the lifts correctly. When I deadlift wrong, my back hurts really bad. When I did squats wrong, my knee always hurt afterwards. Don't think that lifting heavy means it is supposed to hurt. It is supposed to be difficult, and you will almost certainly get sore, but it shouldn't hurt your joints or spine all the time. Youtube is a good resource, because you can look at a lot of different people doing it, instead of just having one friend or one trainer who thinks they know what they're doing.

The gif was for the "heavy lifting is not what will get you results." I don't know how to bold anything :blushing:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know the gif was for the advice about the "repetitive low weight sets", but I just really liked it, so I left it :) It is still appropriate, as the bad advice is still quoted. I stand by my decision to keep the Lion King :)
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I know the gif was for the advice about the "repetitive low weight sets", but I just really liked it, so I left it :) It is still appropriate, as the bad advice is still quoted. I stand by my decision to keep the Lion King :)

:drinker:
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try resources on bodybuilding.com's website! Great advice and info on there!
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts and I haven't paid anything. Stronglifts is very straightforward, easy to remember, and doesn't take a whole lot of time. Oh, and I do get a newsletter once or twice a day from the guy that is head of it. Some are helpful, some are not. Again, I didn't pay anything for it.

This here.. plus there is an app for your phone (iOS or Android) that tells makes it super easy (and also free!)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I am beyond over hearing about how Mehdi used to be "a scrawny guy who got beat at arm wrestling by a GIRL! and now he has abs!!" *gasp*

I do love StrongLifts though. Great program. The app is awesome (and free).