I have an interesting observation

Options
I noticed several of my mfp friends that are within 18 lbs of their goal weight mention that they have a hard time losing their 1-2 lbs weight for the week/month. When I go to look at their food and excercise diary I notice several of them count many of the calories they burn during a day doing "normal things" walking around the grocery store, doing light housework, and such. When you set up your profile it asks you what physical activity level you are at and they base some of your calorie allotment on that. Moderately active people are allowed more calories than a sedentary person with the same stats. Going to get your groceries and all the normal things you do in your average day is what makes up your physical activity level. You probably shouldn't be giving yourself credit for these activities because mfp has already alloted these for you. Now, if you are a sedentary person than you should count these things if they go beyond what you normally accomplish in a day. However, if you marked yourself as moderately active or very active, my guess is that you should only log the more strenuous activities that consume more of your daily calories than you have eaten because mfp has already given you extra calories knowing that you are more active. Just an observation. Feel free to consider, reject, or accept.

Replies

• pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you have it spot on!
  • andreadawn1012
    andreadawn1012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's why I asked people on here because I was counting what I do at work as my activity for the day, but then when I asked and everyone said I shouldn't and such, I quit doing it.
  • sbranaghan
    sbranaghan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is a pretty good observation and I completely agree with you!!!! Normal daily activities shouldnt be logged!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    This is why I don't count anything except pure exercise! I mean even when I was overweight I still had to clean, buy food, take care of my kids, etc etc.....even when I have my deep house cleaning days...I don't count it! I think of them as my safety net cals. Because my food cals may not be 100% correct.

I changed my activity to light active back in Nov....now I haven't been "strict" about food choices since I met my goal weight and with the holidays I just want to maintain and enjoy food! =) Which I been doing pretty good! Seems like as long as you workout you won't gain during the holidays. Oh and drink that water! LOL
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't count any activity that falls within the scope of a normal day. Going shopping, light house keeping, cooking; all of these things are accounted for in MFP. Exercise should only be counted when it's actually exercise, something that maybe you change your clothes to do, like running, or going to the gym to use an elliptical machine, or cycling. Exercise should really elevate your heart rate if you are going to count it against your calories for the day, because if you intend to eat those exercise calories(and i do!), you should have burned them. You're only deluding yourself and setting up yourself up for failure otherwise.:tongue:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I only include exercise. I don't include housework, walking around the mall or anything like that. To me that is something that every person does and shouldn't be included in exercise. If you do a lot...consider it a bonus
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If I have to put on my HRM then I count it as exercise. Long walks or Wii workouts are usually the only thing I log. I could not imagine imputting everything I do like housework and things pertaining to the kids...I would burn less calories sitting her recording it all..lol
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with not logging on daily activities for the more "active" person, I wouldn't take away from the less active person who busts out the "big clean" once a week and counts that. If it makes them feel successful by seeing their efforts on the screen, I am in total favor of that.

I agree with others that those calories should not be eaten or used as a cusion, but sometimes, you just need to feel like you did something rather than nothing so you don't totally give up. I'll be real and admit that if I were to make an effort to clean my house, it would have to be an all day affair and I probably would log it. :happy: (can you tell that I don't do "regular" cleaning)

I liked reading this post b/c it made sense. I also want to support those who are trying to start out by doing a little more than their usual around the house.

Happy New Year to you all! :flowerforyou:
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I had the same question at first. The only thing I've counted now is when I painted a room in my house. It's not something I normally do, and I was sore for a few days afterwards. It was a good arm workout! :)