HELP! A little advice needed!

Options
Hi everyone! I have been on MFP since 2011. When I first started I was only 10 lbs heavier than my "happy" weight. I started at 154. 10 lbs difference was not too much of a big deal for me so, I was off and on. I gained some and lost it and stayed around 154. Well as of November 2013 I started Insanity. During my first 2 weeks of Insanity I gained 10 lbs. I did not follow the nutrition guide, but I did eat the recommended calorie range (tdee). I was soooo angry about that. All everyone kept telling me is that I was gaining muscle. I do not believe that. I am 5'3 and 32 years old. At that hight and eating at a calorie deficit that is not muscle I gained. Especially after just only 2 weeks. I know I know if I gained that means I was not eating in a deficit. I stayed at 1800 to 2000 calories everyday.

Anyways. I gave it up. Worked out other ways...insanity, brazil butt lift, running, walking, dancing, zumba, etc. I am still till this day 164 lbs!!! Ok I have lost a few inches up top and my body is a little smaller than the old 164, but I am STILL 164!! I eat back my exercise calories or at least most of them. I guess maybe I need to be eating less than 1800 calories idk. Well now I am back on Insanity and am in week 2. I do not see any difference. No inches lost or weight lost. I have no patience for this. Summer time is coming and I live in FL.

I looked back into my diary from when I was smaller and realized that I lost weight when I ate around 1200 - 1300 calories a day just walking/running on the treadmill 3 times a week. Now I feel like I am busting my *kitten* for no results. I cannot wait until month 2 to see changes. I want at least a 1 lb per week loss right now. So my question is should I continue with Insanity, wait it out and the results will come? OR go on a 1300 calorie diet (not diet but stay within that range) work out 3 times a week and see if I lose 1 -2 lbs a week? I hate being someone who gives up on something (Insanity), but I want to just lose weight already! Any advice anyone??

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are not the type of person to give up then don't do it. Since you only have a small amount to lose then your aim should be 0.5 lb. a week. I recommend reading this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It is well worth the time reading. If you are still not losing in about 6 weeks then go see your doctor.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    If you are not the type of person to give up then don't do it. Since you only have a small amount to lose then your aim should be 0.5 lb. a week. I recommend reading this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It is well worth the time reading. If you are still not losing in about 6 weeks then go see your doctor.

I have around 25 to 30 lbs to lose. I think that 1 lb a week is realistic and fair. I have read that link several times before thanks. I know about all of that and am very knowledgeable about it.
  • DCarney
    DCarney Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1800-2000 calories is a lot for someone trying to lose weight, that sounds more like "maintenance calories". My suggestion would be to use the calculator on teambeachbody.com and enter your info and goals to establish what you should be eating. I understand your frustration but don't give up on that program! You could easily lose that 10lbs once the nutrition is on point.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1800-2000 calories is a lot for someone trying to lose weight, that sounds more like "maintenance calories". My suggestion would be to use the calculator on teambeachbody.com and enter your info and goals to establish what you should be eating. I understand your frustration but don't give up on that program! You could easily lose that 10lbs once the nutrition is on point.

This. Maybe try going 100 or 200 calories lower and see what happens? Me, I stick with BMR and eat back a little bit of exercise calories if I'm still hungry and consistently losing. Good luck!
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    1800 calories is just too much if you're exercising for only 40 min. I wonder how many calories you are really burning doing Insanity. Perhaps invest in a Polar HRM so you can really see how much effort you're putting in and adjust your calorie intake to reflect that.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Any kind of exercise, even Insanity or other short-term programs need a certain time to show results off. I've never seen any difference after 2-3 weeks of exercising and eating less, honestly. I am noticing small differences just now that I've lost almost 20 kgs and I've definitely learnt to know my own body better. So, if you think it's useless - it's surely not. Exercise is always useful if you're doing it the right way (not overexercising or risking some injuries).
    I agree with what other people said - you might not be consistent enough with exercising, if you don't like Insanity try doing something that you really enjoy apart from the results. The less you expect in a short amount of time, the more you'll be surprised at looking how far you can come on the long term.
    At the same time, you might be eating too much for your goals. Let MFP calculate your calories for you or use the TDEE method, basing on your stats you should be mantaining at 1900 kcals.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been on MFP since 2011. When I first started I was only 10 lbs heavier than my "happy" weight. I started at 154. 10 lbs difference was not too much of a big deal for me so, I was off and on. I gained some and lost it and stayed around 154. Well as of November 2013 I started Insanity. During my first 2 weeks of Insanity I gained 10 lbs. I did not follow the nutrition guide, but I did eat the recommended calorie range (tdee). I was soooo angry about that. All everyone kept telling me is that I was gaining muscle. I do not believe that. I am 5'3 and 32 years old. At that hight and eating at a calorie deficit that is not muscle I gained. Especially after just only 2 weeks. I know I know if I gained that means I was not eating in a deficit. I stayed at 1800 to 2000 calories everyday.

Anyways. I gave it up. Worked out other ways...insanity, brazil butt lift, running, walking, dancing, zumba, etc. I am still till this day 164 lbs!!! Ok I have lost a few inches up top and my body is a little smaller than the old 164, but I am STILL 164!! I eat back my exercise calories or at least most of them. I guess maybe I need to be eating less than 1800 calories idk. Well now I am back on Insanity and am in week 2. I do not see any difference. No inches lost or weight lost. I have no patience for this. Summer time is coming and I live in FL.

I looked back into my diary from when I was smaller and realized that I lost weight when I ate around 1200 - 1300 calories a day just walking/running on the treadmill 3 times a week. Now I feel like I am busting my *kitten* for no results. I cannot wait until month 2 to see changes. I want at least a 1 lb per week loss right now. So my question is should I continue with Insanity, wait it out and the results will come? OR go on a 1300 calorie diet (not diet but stay within that range) work out 3 times a week and see if I lose 1 -2 lbs a week? I hate being someone who gives up on something (Insanity), but I want to just lose weight already! Any advice anyone??
    You said you lost inches and your body is smoller than it was the last time you where 164 (I wish at this point). It is a proven scientific fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and yes on insanity you can gain 10lbs of muscle in two weeks. It is not unheard of. I find Insanity too intense for me so I wont do it, however I have a number of associates that have done Insanity and report a change like that each time. Here is the thing, you may want to follow the nutrician guide and only substitute when necessary. 1800-2000 calories is a lot but if you are extremely active ( job that requires a lot of lifting and on your feet all day as well as doing insanity) then this may constitute a deficit for you. Befor you loose it and give up make sure you are doing everything possible (including Nutrition guide) to lose the weight. If all else fails go to a nutritionist or doctor and get some sound medical advice. You never know, it could be something as simple as any medication you are taking reacting to your body change.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I work out a lot my weigh loss slows down and plateaus. I don't know why. I do think that for me (not saying for anyone else) I am better to focus on my diet to lose weight, then add in my exercises when I am close to my goal and then maintaining to keep healthy and tone up.

I would maybe try eating 1500-1600 for a bit. Do less intensive workouts, maybe just moderate exercise a few times a week and see how you go. Sometimes it takes trying things.. waiting.. trying something else to get the right results for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You said you lost inches and your body is smoller than it was the last time you where 164 (I wish at this point). It is a proven scientific fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and yes on insanity you can gain 10lbs of muscle in two weeks. It is not unheard of. I find Insanity too intense for me so I wont do it, however I have a number of associates that have done Insanity and report a change like that each time. Here is the thing, you may want to follow the nutrician guide and only substitute when necessary. 1800-2000 calories is a lot but if you are extremely active ( job that requires a lot of lifting and on your feet all day as well as doing insanity) then this may constitute a deficit for you. Befor you loose it and give up make sure you are doing everything possible (including Nutrition guide) to lose the weight. If all else fails go to a nutritionist or doctor and get some sound medical advice. You never know, it could be something as simple as any medication you are taking reacting to your body change.

to the bolded part just no...

Muscle takes up less space than fat...but 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat...and a woman cannot build 10lbs of muscle in 2 weeks...that is impossible and I mean literally impossible without the use of steriods, eating a lot and lifting weights...

If the OP has gained 10lbs in 2 weeks eating 1800-2000 some of it was water retention but after this long of a period it's just weight...period.

She is not in a deficet and it wont matter how much exercise she does if she isn't in a deficet she wont lose weight.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle. Weight loss happens in the kitchen regardless of your workout plan. I would exercise in a way you enjoy for fitness and focus on your diet to lose weight. You ate above your maintenance to gain those 10 lb!
  • Bhabs10
    Bhabs10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you were eating at TDEE-15% or 20% then you should not eat back your exercise calories, that is already included in that number. If you eat at MFP recommendation to lose .05 or 1 lb a week or eat at your BMR then you should eat back some exercise calories if needed. I have heard a lot of people say they didn't notice results with Insanity until the second month so I'd suggest readjusting your calorie intake and stick with it! Good luck!
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Yes now I am getting information I am looking for. Thank you all. I should have mentioned that I do where a HRM during my workouts and I am burning between 600 to 750 calories per workout. The Insanity guide nutrition calculations tell me to eat 2080 with intense exercise and 1850 with moderate exercise. That includes the 500 calorie deficit. That is why I eat that much. Even if I set MFP to sedentary and add my exercise calories to my goal of 1290 calories, it all works out the same.

Whatever the case may be, I am getting great advice from all of you. Thanks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes now I am getting information I am looking for. Thank you all. I should have mentioned that I do where a HRM during my workouts and I am burning between 600 to 750 calories per workout. The Insanity guide nutrition calculations tell me to eat 2080 with intense exercise and 1850 with moderate exercise. That includes the 500 calorie deficit. That is why I eat that much. Even if I set MFP to sedentary and add my exercise calories to my goal of 1290 calories, it all works out the same.

Whatever the case may be, I am getting great advice from all of you. Thanks.

HRM monitors are only good for steady state cardio and that is if they have a chest strap...Insanity is not steady state cardio...

as well to burn 600-750 calories in what 30mins? wow ya no cut that in half.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you really eating 1800-2000 calories? By that I mean, are you using a food scale to measure your solids and measuring cups to measure your liquids?
  • sprungerj1
    sprungerj1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Luck - stay with it.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    I agree with what other people said - you might not be consistent enough with exercising, if you don't like Insanity try doing something that you really enjoy apart from the results. The less you expect in a short amount of time, the more you'll be surprised at looking how far you can come on the long term.

Even if I am not doing Insanity, I am still consistent with working out. I did mention that I do other workouts. If not every day, every other day. In this entire time since November I have only missed about 3 weeks from being sick. I am sure it has to do with the calorie intake and even though I am eating as the guide says, I should lower it. I have not consistently ate at a lower calorie level yet. I always eat back my calories to stay close to 1200 net.
  • Ianrm1
    Ianrm1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Its not about fitness and exercise, all that does is turns fat into muscle, to loose weight u need to cut out 2 things FAT & SUGAR.. keep to around 1200 calories, use the bar code scanner as u shop this will amaze u on how much sugar fat is in stuff, Try Boiled Basmati rice 50g (this is surprisingly low on calories and fills u up) DRINK plenty of water, Cherry Pepsi Max is 3 calories and not too bad tasting, Jacket potato's with 1/2 tin baked beans is nice (no butter/marg on top) White fish is good, Chicken Breast, (no skin) a few simple idea's for you, Good Luck
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Its not about fitness and exercise, all that does is turns fat into muscle, to loose weight u need to cut out 2 things FAT & SUGAR.. keep to around 1200 calories, use the bar code scanner as u shop this will amaze u on how much sugar fat is in stuff, Try Boiled Basmati rice 50g (this is surprisingly low on calories and fills u up) DRINK plenty of water, Cherry Pepsi Max is 3 calories and not too bad tasting, Jacket potato's with 1/2 tin baked beans is nice (no butter/marg on top) White fish is good, Chicken Breast, (no skin) a few simple idea's for you, Good Luck

Lol no.

Do you use a food scale? Let's see your diary, people will be able to help you better.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A lot of those calorie burn estimates are on the high end. I would eat back half of them and see if that makes a difference.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Are you really eating 1800-2000 calories? By that I mean, are you using a food scale to measure your solids and measuring cups to measure your liquids?

Yes I am and I put my own recipes in the system. It is obvious that 1800 - 2000 is just too much for me even if that is what calculation tells me to eat.