What is your office/school dress code

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am glad the company I work doesn't have some of the OPs policies. Geez, that would suck...lol.

Same here! I love my denim and comfortable shoes!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of most of you. I have to wear black. Seriously. All solid black. Black slacks/skirt, black shirt and black third piece (a sweater, suit coat, or cardigan). We always have to have three pieces on. Black shoes. They can be open toed April 1 - Oct 31. Other than that they have to be closed toed. Occasionally the company will allow us to wear a different color shirt but they tell us the color and it has to match almost exactly (as in you take a swatch to the store and match it up).

Do you work at a morgue?!? That's downright depressing sounding!

Believe it or not I work in the beauty industry--makeup, not hair.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Our company's official dress code actually does not list a single item of clothing that is considered acceptable or unacceptable. It basically says "Try not to be a moron, but if you are pretty clueless about what constitutes 'business casual,' see your supervisor."
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I work for a global investment firm and our dress is corporate conservative.

Suit and tie for men.
    Skirt or pants suits for the ladies.

A lot of the female support staff wear slacks or skirts with nice tops or sweaters rather than suits. Male support staffers get by without a jacket/blazer but still required to wear a tie.

We're not supposed to be allowed to wear skirts/dresses without hosiery but the office manager waives that during the warmer weather provided we don't go crazy with the footwear. Open toe or strappy shoes/heels are allowed but no traditional sandals. Definitely nothing that goes "flip/flop".

We're also not supposed to be allowed to wear sleeveless tops but I wear them all summer under my suit jackets and just take my jacket off when I'm in the office. No one has ever b!tched. Yet.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Mine is casual or business they don't really mind we can wear jeans on friday and a tshirt from work if we want. All tats must be covered no facial piercings one stud in the ears only. Hair must be pulled out of your face. I work in the accounting department of a hospital.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    EMT: uniform> sky blue medical scrub with black nonslip shoe
    ( we change from normal day clothes before shift after reaching hospital). Most other have similar uniform in different colors .doctors were formal clothes with white coat in out patients a and normal wards but they too change into scrubs in restricted areas.
    Piercings other than ear and nose in women and tattoo s are not that common in my country and there is no corporate directions spelled out for them
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anything as long as it's not slutty or sweatpants.

I have days where I wear dresses and others where I wear my cowgirl jeans and boots. It really depends on what type of work I'm doing that day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I work in the front office of a manufacturing plant. Plant employees wear uniforms and steel toed shoes.

It's a tiny office and everyone just wears whatever the heck they want. Mostly jeans and polos or tees. Sneakers.

I wear business casual clothes most of the time. Jeans only 1-2 days per week usually, because I love skirts and dresses and other types of pants. Once in a great while I'll wear jeans and sneakers to work (a look I think is pretty tacky tbh) with a matchy top or track jacket, if I know I'm going to be moving lots of files around or something else semi-physical.

Pretty much the only thing that is frowned upon in a major way here would be visible tattoos or facial piercings for non-plant employees.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Men:
    Slacks
    Button shirt
    Polo shirts
    Short sleeved dress shirt
    No sandals, no crocs
    No t-shirts unless employer's logo t-shirt
    Dark jeans ok if paired with something not too casual

Women:
    Slacks or skirt and blouse
    Dress
    Sleeveless dress tops
    Jeans ok if paired with something dressier and not attending a high level meeting
    Khaki and polo shirts acceptable
    Flats, heels or boots
    No cleavage revealing outfits
    Nothing very tight or skimpy

Both:
    No visible tattoos
    Overall well groomed appearance
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    My old job was jeans and a t-shirt. That was really convenient for when I needed to get downstairs quickly and I could take one of the slides with no worrries about messing up a suit.

red-slide.jpg
    silver-bullet-slide.jpg
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    red-slide.jpg
    silver-bullet-slide.jpg

I want to work there!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Men:
    Slacks
    Button shirt
    No sport shoes or sandals
    No T-shirts
    No untucked shirts

Women:
    Slacks or skirt and blouse
    Dress
    No sandals or open toe shoes
    No short skirts or dresses
    No sleeveless dresses or blouses
    No cleavage showing
    No bra straps showing

Both:
    No visible tattoos
    No piercings visible exempt ears
    Overall well groomed appearance

dying to know where you are from...I am guessing not the USA? I've never seen actual mention of cleavage (that just seems SO outside the realm of corporate-speak) and have not seen the word 'blouse' in a dress code since I was a teen.
  • gspero72
    gspero72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our office has a bit of a split, office casual for our Office Manager/General Cat Herder, and for us the Property Managers, its suits (no ties) or slacks and jacket. Pressed shirts (button ups only), dress shoes. During the summer, on Fridays a golf shirt and slacks is ok, as long as we are not doing collections that day. No jeans, T-shirts, runners/sneakers, Tat's non-visible, no piercings (except ear lobes, no stretching), hair colour natural (no crazy dye jobs). For our maintenance crew jeans, steel toes and non-graphical t-shirts/work shirts (fairly relaxed for the boys who get dirty and do the 'real' work).

Fairly conservative industry and office culture.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My office doesn't have a real dress code in writing. Last summer there was talk of banning any sandals that made a flip-flop sound (the anticipation of this made me a bit nuts)--there was also talk of banning sleeveless shirts. We have a broad range of dressers here. I typically wear jeans, flats and comfortable tops--I try to use scarves and other things to "dress up" the outfit. We also have employees who wear business casual. Almost every Friday, the whole office is in jeans and company-logoed tops (t-shirts, track jackets, sweatshirts, etc.) :)
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nudity is encouraged but not mandatory, and men must wear nipple tassels on their junk every other Tuesday.

Edited to add serious answer:

Last place I worked had a business casual dress code. Everyone, regardless of gender, was to wear business-appropriate shirts, blouses, trousers, skirts (at least knee length), shoes (no heels over 3'', no open toes, no sandals), dresses (at least knee length), and there couldn't be visible tattoos or non-traditional piercings (only one piercing in each each ear permitted). When big clients were scheduled to visit the business formal dress code was enforced, so, suits (black, navy, or dark grey), dress shoes/heels (black, grey, or navy), and no jewellery.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I work from home so anything I dam please.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Black Scrubs
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    whatever the heck we want :)

tattoos - crazy colored hair, dresses shorts, jeans, flip flops, flannels -- we don't judge :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    we're super duper casual. i'm a project manager at a very small HR firm, and we never deal with clients in person - always over the phone or email. So it really does not matter. Today i wore yoga pants, a t-shirt, and flip flops, and that's my typical attire most days. I used to wear heels more often, but they hurt my feet so i've just decided meh. i love it. it'll suck when i work for a company that requires me to look presentable on a daily basis.