Recently Diabetic Type 2; Don't even know where to start.

Options
Over the weekend I was in the hospital and had an extremely high amount of sugar in my blood. We're talking around 530...

Needless to say, After seeing my doctor I was diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes. Currently not insulin dependent.

I'm searching for friends; diabetic or not, who can help me keep my faith in this, and not feel so lost and down.

I'm changing my entire life around, and just need that back support.
I'm also a better supporter for other people than I am for myself lol.

Replies

• kilgore67
    kilgore67 Posts: 40
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1998. My one year old was diagnosed 4 weeks later. I'll be happy to be your friend.

Michelle in Ohio
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Hi Tiffany. It's great that you're looking for support as you learn how to manage diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program, and check out the information at www.diabetes.org to help you get started. Every person with diabetes is different, and by learning as much as you can you'll figure out how to best manage diabetes within your life. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Alyssa100513
    Alyssa100513 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey. I was just recently diagnosed in March with Type 2. I have had to completely change my life. I started a Metformin regimen and I have to take my sugar 3 times a day. It is not easy but I have found that every day gets a little better. It is going to be a life long battle but as long as we keep our heads up, it can be balanced. I am here if you need any support or anyone to talk to. Odds are we will be going through the same things together! :D
  • Furawtee
    Furawtee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed the other day.. im literally in the "changing" stage..
    its difficult to jump into something esp diabetes. atleast i think it is..
    i have to read everything.. i dont know what i can eat or cant eat..
    especially being italian, i love rice and pasta, but i know that is a no go..
    but im still confused and lost to.. but i would love to make new friends, as well as expand my support system. :)

all i really know about my diagnoses is that my "avg" number is 7.. she asked if i wanted to naturally control it with exercise/diet or meds.. i told her both, because i figure it cant hurt right?.. i give myself 6-12 months for improvement.. so im keeping my fingers crossed..
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    You're right that there is a lot to learn about diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program so you can learn as much as possible about diabetes and how you can manage your blood sugar levels. Plus, testing your blood sugar is going to give you excellent information about how different foods and exercise affects you personally. You're making a good start by joining this forum! ~Lynn /Glucerna