Why is oatmeal

Options
So damn disgusting( don't mean to offend the oatmeal lovers)

sugar doesn't help

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tastes like cardboard to me. The only way I've managed to make it good is cooked with milk, vanilla powder, one egg, and with a lot of maple syrup, or cooked with a bit of milk and a ton of cocoa powder and sugar. Or baked.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I love it, but my guy almost gags thinking about it. I think there will always be two camps. :big smile:
    ETA: It would be interesting if it was partly a gender thing. Curious about the rest of the reactions!
    ETA2: Interesting that my guy used to eat it raw as a snack when he was a student. He just hates it cooked.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've found that not all oatmeals are equal

I make it with milk or powdered milk sometimes with honey aand/or dried fruit

i don't like the sachet ones, and even when I buy straigh rolled oats, i've found a huge variation in flavour
    my current oatmeal comes from a small craft watermill where they mill flour and sell rolled oats made from a locally sourced hard wheat variety called "gallant"

it may be psycosematic (not sure about the spelling) but i think it tastes better than the rolled oats i used to get from tesco
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Mmm I love oatmeal (or porridge as we call it over here!!). I make it with milk (I can't bring myself to try it made with water...I think that *would* taste gross!), mix in a little squeeze of honey or syrup, then top it with greek yoghurt, berries and this milled linseed topper stuff. Deeeelish.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    HOW DARE YOU BASH ONE OF MY FAVOURITE FOODS! :grumble:

But seriously... I love the thing! Especially cooked in milk. My latest experiment, chai tea oatmeal. So hearty and satiating.
  • waltervos
    waltervos Posts: 4
    Options
    I would never eat 'em dry. I usually soak 50 gr. of rolled oats in about 200 ml of water for a while (overnight if possible, otherwise +/- 10 minutes at least). I then add about 125 ml of milk and cook it for a while. Don't let it get too thick. For flavouring I use things like peanut butter, chocolate, cocoa powder (needs sugar!), protein powder (vanilla is nice), honey, dried fruits, etc.

Then if you still don't like 'em, I guess you just don't like 'em :)
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am with the op. I don't like oatmeal and find it tastes like cardboard. The only way I have been able to make it and be somewhat edible is by using milk, flaxseed, and a cup of blueberries. Even then it still doesn't taste great.
  • Stefgoju
    Stefgoju Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Brinta or Oatmeal + a scoop of whey + stevia + milk = delicious! :D
  • Francl27
    Options
    1. Never EVER use instant. Traditional oats only
    2. pinch of salt. Always
    3. drown it in 1/2 and 1/2 cream, maple syrup and add walnuts

If you don't love that...you're just weird..haha.

I think when you try to do oatmeal "diet", it's disgusting.

Haha yeah, you pretty much have to put 300 calories of topping on it to make it good :laugh:
  • Tisiwa
    Tisiwa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its quick, hearty, heart health, low calories meal, that will substain you. Love it.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! So comfy!

The only instant one I like is the organic flax oatmeal from Trader Joe's. Really good!! That and a banana will keep me going for hours. :)
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Any more I'll throw in 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of dry oatmeal when I make smoothies. By the time it's all blended up, it's hardly noticeable. I don't mind oatmeal in general, but it's not my first go-to breakfast option. And when I do go for it, I'll usually make it with almond milk and maple syrup.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's an acquired taste for some. I used to HATE it, had to eat it every morning before school :sick:

Now I love it just plain, but some brown sugar on it (and let it melt) is awesome
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I personally hate it too! Rolled oats that is. Steel cut oats, I love! I don't use sugar though, I like them a bit under cooked and then I put salt pepper and a little butter on them. More like grits or brown rice.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The only instant one I like is the organic flax oatmeal from Trader Joe's. Really good!! That and a banana will keep me going for hours. :)

Out of curiosity, how does instant oatmeal work? Is it pre-made in a can or something? We only seem to have old fashioned and quick cooking but I have yet to see the instant variety.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is great when it's packed into a chocolate chip cookie.

Oatmeal is vile as a substitute for cereal. It tastes like poverty to me. My mom used to try to make me eat it when we were really poor.
  • Francl27
    Options
    They all taste the same to me, to be honest. Rolled, old fashioned rolled, old fashioned, steel cut, one minute (which is the same as instant I think)... same thing. The only thing that changes a bit is the consistency.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity, how does instant oatmeal work? Is it pre-made in a can or something? We only seem to have old fashioned and quick cooking but I have yet to see the instant variety.
    It comes in a little paper packet. Pre-measured. You just tear open the top, pour into a bowl..add milk and microwave. It's really just portioned and cooks faster.