Somebody tell me this...

Options
Why am I supposed to avoid diet sodas? Is one a day okay?

Replies

• Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy soda and have a good day I don't see why on Earth you shouldn't be able to have one. Apparently aspertane is horrible and it's full of sodium. Don't know that's what I've been told anyways.

I like Diet Pepsi, I've really cut back but have a cup or two a day or I'd go crazy.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    They say diet soda's are horrible for you and are very addictive. I used to drink a 6 pack a day of Coke Zero. I slowly cut back no now I am down to one or two a week. For myself I notice I lose more weight when I'm off soda and stick to water and ice tea. Google it, I'm sure you can find out more facts. I was reading about it the other day on Droz.com .
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is lined to early dementia, it turns into fermalidihyde (spelling????) in your system as you digest it.
    I have heard a lot of bad things about it from my friends who lead a very clean eating life.
    I actually switched back to regular soda's after I heard some of it, and even doctors will tell you it's bad for you in large quantities.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I must confess that I drink quite a bit of it. I've cleaned up my diet so much that I figure that some diet soda doesn't hurt. I haven't experienced any side effects that some people report from drinking the stuff. I read up on it and no one can truly give me a diffinate yes/no answer as to whether diet drinks are really all that bad for you. After all, if there's absolutely no crap food in my diet, why would diet soda really make any difference to the overall picture anyway?

I love my diet coke, and unless someone can truly convince me of it's ill effects in humans, I don't think I'll stop drinking it any time soon. :-)
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    everything i have heard indicates that you can still drink all the soda you want, but it shouldn't be counted as water. I have also heard that it really slows down the weightloss for some reason. I haven't experienced this since I gave up soda before I decided to try to lose weight.
  • caseydarden
    Options
    Okay..... because there is absolutely NOTHING good for you in soda. Read the ingredients and decide if you really want to ingest that...GROSS!!

That being said, you HAVE to have a cheat day every now and again... everybody does. One diet soda a day? Are you serious? No, I don't see a problem with that.

I had a friend in the Navy that lost 20 pounds simply from switching from regular soda to diet soda. No other changes.

Casey
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There have been plenty of independent scientific studies done on the effects of artificial sweeteners. What's being found now is that they reduce the body's ability to regulate hunger and you end up eating more. The brain can't distinguish between natural sugar and artificial sweeteners. So when you consume an artificial sweetener your body releases insulin (the fat storing hormone) which tells the liver and kidneys to stop metabolizing fat for energy and to use sugar from your blood instead. When the organs take the small amount of sugar that actually is in your blood you get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and your body tells you that you have to eat in order to replenish your blood sugar.

Artificial sweeteners, besides potentially causing all kinds of health problems, including cancer, are extremely counterproductive for those trying to lose weight.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Why am I supposed to avoid diet sodas? Is one a day okay?

People bring up two things as far as diet sodas are concerned: carbonation as aspartame.

Some people are allergic to the components aspartame breaks down to. even if you're not, the thought of it breaking down to formaldehyde makes me not want to drink it. The FDA says that the amount is negligible, but I'd rather use Truvia instead of an artificial sweetener. Plus, aspartame, just like other sugars, will make you crave even more sweets.

Carbonation can make you bloated. I for one can't run or exercise when I feel bloated after drinking carbonated drinks (I sometimes have carbonated tea from our coffee bar).
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can definitely say that having a Coke Zero will make me what something more sweet- anything that has an artificial sweetener in it seems to make me crave sweets. I did not know the link between aspertame and formaldehyde, but I have to say that now I know it's enough to put me off it forever. I'm a scientist, and formaldehyde is what we use in a lab to "fix" tissues to preserve them so that we can study them at a later date. It might also be a component of embalming fluid...will have to look that up...

yep...just looked it up. formaldehyde makes up 5-30% of embalming fluid! gross...
  • meaghanls
    Options
    Read Skinny B*tch's chapter on aspartame and you'll never drink a diet pop again. The FDA may have approved it, but they FDA also has a reputation for being corrupt on some things. Capitalism anyone?