What to eat at a BBQ

Options
Hey Guys,

So i am off to a BBQ this weekend and i don't want to go too overboard with my calorie intake!

I am thinking of bringing some salads and things with me and maybe even something to throw on the BBQ but does anybody have any suggestions on what might be nice?

Thanks in advance :)

Stephanie

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for the BBQ, IMO.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can bring a salad, but otherwise, bbq meat is fine, just go light on the buns.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Love me a BBQ!

I'm not much of a salad fan but I have taken roasted veggies to a BBQ before. Put together some carrots, red onion, courgette, peppers etc and roast them in a tray.

Kebab skewers are always good as you can mix up your meat with some good veggies that taste fab done on the BBQ.

One of my all time faves is corn on the cob done on a BBQ, love that!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

So i am off to a BBQ this weekend and i don't want to go too overboard with my calorie intake!

I am thinking of bringing some salads and things with me and maybe even something to throw on the BBQ but does anybody have any suggestions on what might be nice?

Stephanie

Brisket
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    2 burgers, 3 sausages, 2 plates of potato salad.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Workout in the morning, and save most of your calories for the barbecue. Eat the barbecue. It's actually not bad for you.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Stephanie

Brisket

^^ ftw
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for the BBQ, IMO.
    ^ This

Do extra cardio that day :wink:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Burgers are not BBQ. Hot dogs are not BBQ. Brisket. Sausage. Ribs. Pulled Pork. That's BBQ.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You can bring a salad, but otherwise, bbq meat is fine, just go light on the buns.

Agree... ALL the meatz... easy on the carbs.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would personally just eat pretty much what ever I wanted and have some calories saved up to cover it, but I know it's really easy to overeat at a BBQ, like at a buffet! Bringing your own food would be a good idea, cos that way you can just stick to eating the food you brought without being tempted by a whole buffet of options.

I second the skewers idea! That way you get your grilled meat fix while also getting some delicious BBQ'd veggies in there too. Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, prawns, salmon - all delicious BBQ'd with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes - I don't know what it is but courgettes taste amazing BBQ'd!

Also chicken breasts, or fish is a good option.

For sides, go easy on things like coleslaw, potato salads and creamy dressings but go crazy with the salad and raw veggies!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would save up calories for the BBQ.

But you can go for meats that are rubbed only (no sauce). Chicken, no bread/buns. Any fresh fruit, and grilled veggies. Fresh veggies. Maybe bring some deviled eggs (made with yogurt instead of mayo)? Water only- unless there's alcohol, then I would give myself a 2 or 3 drink limit.

Good luck! And have fun. If you do good most of the time occasions like this should be fun, don't over stress it.

Bring a fun outdoor game- corn hole, horse shoes, frisbee, bocce ball. That way you can burn some extra calories while hanging out with everyone.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If it's BBQ, I love smoked turkey and pulled pork. Pulled pork usually has more calories though because it already has tons of sauce mixed in; turkey you can at least portion out as much sauce as you want. Ribs, also awesome, and with a good rub, they don't need any sauce at all.

If you're grilling, take some well seasoned chicken beasts or turkey burgers. Just watch out on turkey burgers because if they aren't lean, they can have just as much fat as beef, and if it's too lean they fall apart and usually need binders like eggs. You could also just take some leaner beef if you wanted. There are all sorts of options.

I'd focus on eating protein and veggies and skip the higher calorie stuff such as pasta and potato salad, chips, etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Meat. Lots and lots of meat.

if it's a one off occasion and doesn't happen regularly, then don't worry too much about going over your calories for one day.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Salads?? You going to a BBQ not a rabbits convention :wink:
    Meat - loadsa of bbq meat - steaks, brisket, chops, you name it.... don't waste calories on burgers and ranks - go for the real stuff!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Meat. Lots and lots of meat.

if it's a one off occasion and doesn't happen regularly, then don't worry too much about going over your calories for one day.

... and even if you do, it's for your muscles well being - DO IT!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Everything!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Everything!

This^^^^^^
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Call it a cheat day as one day isn't going to undo all the hard work you have done