Has eating soups daily/regularly helped in your weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Nope, burning more calories than I consume helped in my weight loss.

You can get the same "full" effect by drinking more water.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Soup can be filling and has a good amount of your daily vegetables and (for some) protein. But they tend to have alot of salt in it if you buy the canned kind. I like Progresso soup through but it has alot of salt so i have it occasionally, and for me being a girl i bloat if i have too much salt.
  • grannylou89121
    grannylou89121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Soup is my mainstay. I get up at 3:15 am to get ready for work and get home at 7:40 pm. That doesn't leave me time to prep a good lunch or dinner. I try to choose a soup that is less than 250 calories a serving. I keep a container at work and warm 1/2 of a large can (Campbell's Chunky) and save the other 1/2 half for another day. I follow the soup with a small green salad with a vinegar and oil dressing. The organic and health food sections have a good variety of soups and chilis (chicken, lentil, black bean). The key is to change it up so you don't get bored. Since November 2013, I am down 41 pounds without starving myself. Note: 4 weeks ago I started a fitness plan: 60 minutes of Zumba and 30 minutes of spinning on Friday, and 200 -300 minutes of walking during the week. I have 30 pounds left to meet my goal of 130, and hope to have it done by October 4th, so I can wear that little black dress when I graduate with my MBA. Good luck everyone.
  • nitadances
    nitadances Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and ate soup nearly every day at lunch. I'd make a pot on the weekend and freeze it in single serving containers. An easy soup is to chop an onion and sauté it in a Tbsp of olive oil until it goes clear and then slightly brown (this is called caramelizing). Then coarsely chop up a bunch of broccoli (3 peeled stems with florets) and add a liter-sized tetra pack of chicken or veggie stock and an equal amount of water. Boil until the broccoli is cooked, then whiz it up with an immersion blender. Very yummy! You can make the same soup and substitute a head of cauliflower instead of the broccoli. Soup just seems to " fill up all the cracks." I ate it with cheese & crackers and an apple, usually. . I swear by it! :)
  • 1reneeski
    1reneeski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Progresso has some very yummy soups that are very low in fat and calories.

Add some fruit and your ready to go!
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love having soup as part of my meals!
    I will get a whole chicken and pile in a lot of veggies like carrots,peas,, celery, orka,etc. For seasoning I use a lot of peppers, garlic,, bay leaves and Ms. Dash.
    Then I use a cup to measure portions into ziplock baggies and freeze.
    It's a quick easy meal when I know that when time is going to be limited to cook and still being healthy.
    I do the same with beans.
    It fills me up and knowing that it's homemade none of the process items!
    Since I'm about to start school soon, will look at both soup and beans as easy lunch items. By the time lunch comes, unthraw, heat up! Take along some raw bell peppers or tomato with some fruit and I have a great lunch.
    Hope this helps!

Love the freezing idea! Thanks for that tip and the soup sounds delish! I have never made homemade soup before but after reading this I think I might give it a go since I happen to love soup and no one else in the house does unless its accompanied by tons of grilled cheese sandwiches, meh, but the freezing idea is AWESOME for me! Thanks for sharing!

No problem! It's so easy! The great thing is you can let it simmer while you are busy around the house.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When I first begain my fitness journey I would make a large pot of vegetable soup every weekend and would reheat a bowl most evenings when I had my 'gotta munch something in front of the TV' craving...it really, really does work.
  • Sandiedreamer
    Options
    It might be a Scottish thing, but I make soup from scratch regularly.

Sometimes I will make a whole pot - 8 servings - and freeze half. I will eat a portion regularly throughout the day - so say 11am, 2pm, 5 pm and 8pm. It usually comes in around 150 cals a portion, depending on what I put in it. But because I've made it from scratch I know exactly whats in it - cals and sodium are far lower than tins. And the next time I fancy doing it, I have a day's batch in the freezer.

Summer time I tend to do lighter soups, like light chicken broths, sometimes with some sweet corn and an egg on top which cooks in the broth. Winter soups tend to have more carbs in as I use pulses and more root veg.

If I'm feeling like I need a bit extra I will add some protein to a simple broth.
  • Magda_Castle
    Magda_Castle Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's been helping me a lot. Soups are filling and yummy. I cook them myself so I know exactly what's in them - I weigh everything I put in and come up with calories' value per serving.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I first begain my fitness journey I would make a large pot of vegetable soup every weekend and would reheat a bowl most evenings when I had my 'gotta munch something in front of the TV' craving...it really, really does work.

YAY YOU :drinker: :smooched: :drinker: and thanks so much for posting!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!