healthy hamburger?

Options
bbgrl16
bbgrl16 Posts: 5
I need healthy low cal recipes for hamburger meat. 73/27. my dinner cannot be over 500 calories

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A low calorie bread, instead of a bun, would open up the world for you.
  • teutonic71
    teutonic71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really like lettuce wraps. Or a low carb wrap if I'm at home.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I need healthy low cal recipes for hamburger meat. 73/27. my dinner cannot be over 500 calories

Why can't it be over 500 cals?

Just make a smaller patty and use less cheese etc. Nothing inherently unhealthy about a hamburger
  • Skchers
    Skchers Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ground chicken or ground turkey? That may help, also if you use a sandwich thin or one bun they have about 100 calories and come in whole wheat, or multi grain.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

You could do a regular cheeseburger, leaving out the meat......
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always use Lettuce as my bun
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you're worrying about low cal and you're using 73/27 hamburger meat, you're doing it wrong.

When I was younger I was a fan of making the burger, mixing in the things like onions and seasonings with the meat, and then just eating it with a fork and some ketchup like meatloaf. You can also use just half of the bun, or a lettuce wrap. Put cheese on it or not depending on how many calories the other stuff is. If you're just trying to keep the burger under 500 calories, that shouldn't be too hard.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers are healthy. Maybe skip the bread to reduce the calories this time?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    lean beef burger patty with loads of salad

dump the bun
  • rickrocket1
    Options
    Instead of beef, use turkey. Add a box of Lipton Onion soup mix, a little bit of garlic powder, and a good splash of soy sauce to the ground turkey and mix it up good prior to making the patties. It makes the turkey burgers much better. I actually like them better than beef hamburgers now.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    lean beef burger patty with loads of salad

dump the bun

^^This! Also grill instead of fry. If you don't have a grill then pat the fat off of the burger with a napkin.
  • lilysfaith05
    Options
    You can also use a small wheat pocket pita...I found one that is only 50 calories. Just load it with veggies and make sure you drain the grease from your hamburger meat as much as possible (use a George F. grill if possible). Good luck : )
  • bbgrl16
    bbgrl16 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you're worrying about low cal and you're using 73/27 hamburger meat, you're doing it wrong.

When I was younger I was a fan of making the burger, mixing in the things like onions and seasonings with the meat, and then just eating it with a fork and some ketchup like meatloaf. You can also use just half of the bun, or a lettuce wrap. Put cheese on it or not depending on how many calories the other stuff is. If you're just trying to keep the burger under 500 calories, that shouldn't be too hard.
    that particular hamburger meat is all we can afford right now. we get a discount buying it in larger bundles
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Why can't it be over 500 cals?

Just make a smaller patty and use less cheese etc. Nothing inherently unhealthy about a hamburger

^ This
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You could use a dry meat rub for flavor (applewood, peppercorn, etc..)........
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Or instead of a bun, use the sandwich thins that they have? Like this: http://www.arnoldbread.com/category/sandwich-thins®-rolls

They are pretty tasty and less than a bun.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Just go to Carl's Jr. and order a couple of Kid's burgers without the bun.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's a healthy one I made this week

IMG_20140429_182844.jpg
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Add in veggies to the meat- like you would with a meatloaf.

Skip the bun or use a healthier bread.

Less mayo and ketchup.