Cyclists: Commuting by Bike

Options
2»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could do that, but I between the distance and weather (30 miles that includes rural roads and highway and live in Michigan), its not really an option for me.

I would think I'd commute if it was 10 to 15 miles each way
  • marcjx
    marcjx Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey

Yes I've been cycling to work for a god few months now its 10/11k each way depending on which way I go.
    This is my routine, which I try to stick to most of the time:

Monday: Cycle to works: Go to gym at lunch. Lift home as wife works as same place.
    Tuesday: Run to work: Lift home
    Wednesday: Lift to work, Gym, Cycle home
    Thursday: Cycle to work, 5-8k Run at lunch, or hill HIIT running, Cycle home
    Friday: Cycle to work, gym, cycle home
    Sat: Park run. 5k
    Sun: Rest

I would probably cycle a max of 15k to my workplace, if they have showers. I'm only on a Mountain bike and usually takes me between 28-32 mins to get there.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Tuesday 4 miles total, but in good weather I will deliberately take a longer route and do 24 miles total.
    Wednesday 14 miles total
    Friday 16 miles total

So - between 34 and 54 miles per week.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bike in April, and my goal is to be able to cycle to work a couple of days per week. I live about 8.5 miles from work, and live in a very bike friendly town. My main commute road it a designated cycling commuter route. My office has shower and locker facilities so I could get clean once I arrive.

However, I still have to work on getting my butt conditioned for the ride time, and getting my legs conditioned for the hills I will have to deal with.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    im in uk and cycle 30 mile round trip when the wheather allows.i usually average 4 times a week through out the year
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I bike to work as long as it's not windy. (Theres a lot of high winds where I live) 3 miles each way, takes me 20 minutes to get to work. I don't have to worry about showering because, well, I work at a zoo.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just got a quick question I'd like to throw out there. Most for cyclists:

Do you commute to work? If so, how far?

For everyone: How far do you feel is the furthest you would ride to/from work?

I used to do about 20 miles each way, but had access to decent showers and space to keep a lot of kit there. Did that on a road bike.

More recently it's been 6 miles to the station, and hour on the train then 3-4 miles at the other end, using a Brompton folding bike. Generaly the approach there is to carry kit, so that I can shower if possible at the other end.

As an atlernative, if I stay in locl to the office to avoid the commute it's 3-6 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    apologies, double tapped
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    I ride 8.65 miles each way, takes me 35 minutes in city traffic. After a couple of years, I destroyed a couple of cheap mountain bikes and my thighs! So I found a retro ten-speed Schwinn Le Tour II on Craigslist for $200. I replaced the aluminum rims (city roads tore them up) for cheap but sturdy entry-level racing rims, hard-case tires (took me way too long to figure out that's what would keep me from having to repair so many flats), and took off all the gears (my city is super flat) to make a single speed. It's as light as any fancy pants road bike out there, super speedy, and the love of my life (ok, after my husband).

Still figuring out the layering thing to deal with the negative temperatures in winter, but I'm getting there. The frozen toes thing sucks.

I absolutely recommend it! My "me" time on my bike has become my daily therapy, my time to let my mind wander, philosophize, troubleshoot, set goals, what have you. And listen to good tunage in my headphones.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Just got a quick question I'd like to throw out there. Most for cyclists:

Do you commute to work? If so, how far?

For everyone: How far do you feel is the furthest you would ride to/from work?

I used to do about 20 miles each way, but had access to decent showers and space to keep a lot of kit there. Did that on a road bike.

More recently it's been 6 miles to the station, and hour on the train then 3-4 miles at the other end, using a Brompton folding bike. Generaly the approach there is to carry kit, so that I can shower if possible at the other end.

As an atlernative, if I stay in locl to the office to avoid the commute it's 3-6 miles.

Taking public transit isn't much of an option where I live. It's there, but reducing transportation costs is a primary reason for me to start commuting by bike. Public transportation here costs more than it does to drive my car.

I'm currently looking at moving to a city I lived in not long ago. It's cheap there and I liked it more there than I do here. However, the stretch of highway between that city and work is the worst in the area for rush hour congestion. It's also a 50km bike ride, one-way. Not an easy task by any means.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    It's also a 50km bike ride, one-way. Not an easy task by any means.

Motorbike?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Motorbike?

lol, no. Human powered.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Motorbike?

lol, no. Human powered.

It was a suggestion, I used to commute about 70km on a sports bike. Again it needed showers at the other end, particularly in winter as regardless of what you wear there will always be rain down the back of your neck.

But yes, when I as doing 40 miles per day I couldn't keep weight on and I was shattered all the time.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I commute daily to school and work. School is about 7 miles round trip, with some steep hills. Work is flat but 13 miles each way. No showers, but it doesn't matter since I literally work at the dump :)

My limit is time-based, not distance. I wouldn't do any commute that took more than an hour each way, no matter what form of transportation it used. On a bike that means about 15-20 miles max, depending on how hilly the ride is.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hey, i commute to work, used to be 13 miles each way but moved and now its 10 miles, I can either do 10 miles on the road each way or I can use my mountain bike and take the canal for 10 miles each way. Happy to answer any questions.
  • moritz7588
    moritz7588 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I commute 70km per day round trip when there isn't ice or snow on the roads. I shower at a gym that is 2 km away from where I work on my way in.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would but the only way in is a highway and im not that brave.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    The skies finally stopped dumping water on us, so I got to bike in today. Still not warm enough to do it without a jacket and gloves, but next week there is talk of temps in the 60s...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to commute by bike off and on, and I'm trying to start doing it consistently again--ideally I'd like to 3 times a week, although sometimes my schedule (staying really late) makes it difficult. I'm hoping to create a habit once the weather gets more consistently decent and then become tougher about continuing to ride despite rain and wind (not so sure about cold and snow). My ride is 8.5 miles each way, and I'd be willing to ride longer so long as it didn't add substantially to my commute time. Right now it's about the same as public transportation and I should be able to improve my speed so that it's actually somewhat faster.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to cycle to school which was about 8k each way.I think the most I would do is 15k, however waking up early enough everyday is what I would struggle with. :ohwell: