1200 calories a day and starving !!

Options
moya1219
moya1219 Posts: 54 Member
so ive been eating my 1200 calories a day and i am starving .. my meals are mostly salads with aot of veggies and some chicken and for dinner it varies on what i have. point is im starving .

are there any meals that will help keep me full during the day? someone told me to eat chicken brown rice and veggies is that good to eat once or twice a day? from what ive heard rice isnt good to eat while trying to lose weight

feel free to throw out some meals that keep you full or at least not so hungry during the day ! breakfast, snacks, lunch (:

Replies

• joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you have a high enough protein or fiber diet. "Some chicken" and "What I have" dinners doesn't have much protein involved. Check with a nutritionist or sports nutritionist in your area for meal plans which some are pick and choose of up to 5 food groups like a wheat bagel, egg, Canadian bacon, slice of cheese, and butter.

There are also some clean meals online.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i would be starving on 1200 calories a day too! just wondering, why are you eating so little?
    If you don't have much to lose and set your goal for 2 lbs a week, then maybe change it to 0.5 to 1 lb per week.

take a look at my diary, it's open. my ticker doesn't show much weight lost however from January up to a week ago i was working in maintaining my weight and lifting heavy. Last week i put in a small deficit so i can start to see a loss.

i eat anywhere from 1700 cals up to 1900 or even more sometimes.

i eat chocolate and ice cream every day :o)
  • Geoj0
    Geoj0 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try to keep everything wholemeal or brown rice/bread/pasta, replace potaoes with sweet potatoes carrots spinach salads. Low fat your dairys and berrys and nuts for snacking.

They are all less in calories, so you can have more food! I also found it more filling for longer, if your still hungry, drink water or tea.
  • moya1219
    Options
    oh im not consistent with my food diary i shouldve mentioned that , sorry.

ive tried talking to a nutritionist in my area but they only gave me so much information then asked me to pay for a session which was expensive. i eat about 6 oz of protein each meal or at least i try to
  • moya1219
    Options
    i also have alot to lose about 50 pounds
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have 50 pounds to lose as well and I'm eating 1750 a day. What are your setting at? Are you working out at all and if so are you eating back your calories? I wouldn't be able to do 1200 a day for very long before I'd give up and binge.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Eat more! It's not good to be only eating 1200 when you're 18, your body and brain are still developing. Set your mfp settings to lose 1lb at lightly active and see if you find hitting that goal more sustainable.

You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, nor do you need to eat or avoid certain foods, just make sure you hit your calorie goal. But it is hard to be successful unless you are consistent with logging.
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 calories a day when i started this journey. That lasted all of 2 weeks! I was hungry, grumpy and tired. Someone in my house was going to get hurt if I didnt change. Right now I am at 1700 and I eat back exercise calories. I go over at least 1-2 days a week. Must not be doing too bad though down 75 lbs in 12 months.
  • moya1219
    Options
    thank you all ! all your advice is helpful. i figured i was eating too little i was just told that i had to eat no more than 1200 calories if i wanted to lose weight along with exercise . i try and workout at least 5 times a week. so im going to up my calories thank you guys !
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    1200 a week was torture for me. I did it for 2 months and it sucked! I lost the remainder of my weight on 1650 net. Ive lost 53 lbs. Read this link and good luck:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i was just told that i had to eat no more than 1200 calories if i wanted to lose weight along with exercise

Along with exercise? No wonder you're starving! Whoever gave you advice that terrible has no business advising anyone.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    1200 a week was torture for me. I did it for 2 months and it sucked! I lost the remainder of my weight on 1650 net. Ive lost 53 lbs. Read this link and good luck:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

+1
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

+1
    +2

and I'll add...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Check how many calories you need for maintenance at your goal weight. At 18, you shouldn't be eating too much less than this number unless you're being monitored by a doctor.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Change your goals on MFP to lose 1 lb per week.

If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Your ticker says 43 lbs to lose. So I'd go with 1 lb per week. If you have 50 to lose, then 1.5, but as soon as you hit 40 lbs left change it to 1 lb.
  • daniellerbb
    daniellerbb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you track your exercise also? the System should allow you more calories if you are.

thank you all ! all your advice is helpful. i figured i was eating too little i was just told that i had to eat no more than 1200 calories if i wanted to lose weight along with exercise . i try and workout at least 5 times a week. so im going to up my calories thank you guys !
  • moya1219
    Options
    ive only tracked on mfp once but typically i walk uphill at a semi fast pace for about 30 to 45 minutes then jog for 10 to 15 and when i get home ill do some squats and pushups . ill make sure to look up how many calories it is to maintain my goal weight thank youu
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

+1
    +2

and I'll add...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

All of this!
  • joette3
    joette3 Posts: 4
    Options
    I tried 1200 calories a day when i started this journey. That lasted all of 2 weeks! I was hungry, grumpy and tired. Someone in my house was going to get hurt if I didnt change. Right now I am at 1700 and I eat back exercise calories. I go over at least 1-2 days a week. Must not be doing too bad though down 75 lbs in 12 months.

Too funny! Too true!
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're probably not eating enough calories. If you are interested in a recipe, I made chicken avocado salad (boiled chicken, greek yogurt, avocado, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper) and eat on wheat bread. There's a lot of protein in the salad and with a little carb it keeps me really full. You can eat with a salad if you want to cut out the carbs.