Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • trinity5703
    trinity5703 Posts: 78
    Options
    Not dedication (lol) just survival. Im on the road about 6 months out of the year, if I didnt take the scale my butt wouldnt fit in a airplane seat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not dedication (lol) just survival. Im on the road about 6 months out of the year, if I didnt take the scale my butt wouldnt fit in a airplane seat.

I am considering buying a portable one for summer since we are on the go a lot...cottage, sisters, dads etc...and when we go there food is a plenty.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ...I'm going to try to attempt to jump on this too. I've been using "guesstimates" rather accurately (it worked) but I'd rather KNOW. The problem *whine* is that I make EVERYTHING from scratch...

In my mind, weighing everything is actually easier when you make everything from scratch. Because you know EXACTLY how much gluten free flour you put in that pizza.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I bought one recently. It's small so it doesn't take up much counter space, and had great reviews on Amazon. I can also switch through units of weight which is neat. It's surprising how easy it is to underestimate what you're eating!!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    In my mind, weighing everything is actually easier when you make everything from scratch. Because you know EXACTLY how much gluten free flour you put in that pizza.

^^^ i agree - in fact quite a lot of baking just doesn't work when you're a little off on the quantities

don't get me started on those pesky egg sizes either
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    most food scales aught to fit in a medium sized pocket book or whatever they call girl bags these days
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have considered buying one for work - I have one at home. But I use the postage scale here in the office.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is one of my favorite things. I know I underestimate the TBSP! Probably because I love it so much!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This is somewhat off topic but i use a digital scale at work to measure haircolor and developer, im amazed at how many times a 2 oz tube or bottle is actually less and when your adding equal parts of developer to it it does make a diff. Also color in tubes have these ridiculious lines marking off the oz. They are totaly inaccurate. I use it to weigh my food at lunch and the other day i was splitting a can of veggies for two lunches and it no way compared to what was on the label,that really opened my eyes im getting one for home asap.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I actually love using food scales for baking. If you're making bread, "a cup" of flour can vary wildly. 100 g of flour is always 100g.

I will often buy the British editions of cookbooks simply because they have the recipes in weights instead of amounts.
  • kornpopper
    kornpopper Posts: 22
    Options
    think i need to get a scale.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The best part about food scales is that I get to feel like a mad scientist every morning when I'm making breakfast.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    congrats. when i got mine i thought cheese was gonna be the big one, and when I cut 30g off the block I was like :O but actually, when i grated it, my estimate was pretty good. it turned out the be mayo that was a HUGE thing for me. i was easily eating double the serving size because i was using an ordinary dessert spoon, totally heaped. it was awful
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    YES! You GO!

A scale really does make a difference.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The best part about food scales is that I get to feel like a mad scientist every morning when I'm making breakfast.
    ^^ This made me LOL.

I bought my food scale a while back for baking, but as soon as I started counting calories I found out what a life saver it can be! My idea of one ounce is completely different than what one ounce really is. And it's not 'about 13 chips' like the package says, either. :laugh: Now I weigh everything unless it came individually wrapped to begin with, and it's great to know I'm actually getting the calories I think I'm getting.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm on board. I literally left this thread, went to amazon and ordered a portable digital food scale. Anyone know anything about AWS Black Blade Digital pocket scale up to 1000g by .1 g increments?

I have a similar one of the same brand, and it's great. I keep that one at work and take it on trips.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It makes a huge difference, I found I was overestimating about 300-500 calories, and also some things I found some things I really under estimated.

Will be linking back to this :)