Bulk Lunch Recipe for week... ideas and a recipe

Options
scottywor
scottywor Posts: 140 Member
Hey guys,

Im looking for some ideas for lunch... My wife and I work 7-3 M-F, we just had a kid, so times have become limited, cuz we want to spend as much time with him as we can :) Im lookn for some tasty ideas for a weeks worth of lunches, something I can make on the weekend, and grab each day we go to work, so like 10 servings or so... between 300-500 cals?

I make a Spicy Black Bean Recipe, and I have for years, we will alternate this and rice cakes/wraps n turkey or chicken meat, etc... Getn kinda tired of the same old thing, Would appreciate any ideas or things that you guys might make ahead for the week!

I thought I would share that Spicy Black bean recipe, it yeilds about 8 servings, at about 276-300 cals depending on meat used, and oil amount.

Anyway here she goes...

1 1/4 cups Dry Black Beans- prepared as per bag directions (I use dry beans, because it cuts sodium right down, and the taste much better. Feel free to use canned beans, it would be a couple of 14oz cans, wash them, to cut sodium.
1lb or 454g Lean ground Chicken or Turkey
2 28oz cans of No Salt added Diced Tomatoes - Drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 Jalapeno diced, or any other hot pepper of your choice
1-2 cloves of Garlic
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Curry
2 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Garam Masala
I dont add any salt but do to fit your taste! Plus there is usually some salt in the Curry Spice, depending on the one you buy.

So prepare the beans as per directions and set aside - usually takes and hour, just remember to soak your beeans the night before!

Meanwhile...

Cook the meat of your choice, no oil needed, as there will be anoff water/fat from meat to do this with adding any oil

While your meat is cooking, heat a tbsp of olive oil over meduim heat in a large pan, add the diced onion, cook until translucent, add garlic, and jalapeno(s), allow a minute or two for garlic to heat, add spices and let cook with vegetables, stirring for a minute or two, helps bring out the aromas and taste, careful not to burn. Add Tomatoes. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Then add your cooked beans and meat. Let simmer on low for 30 minutes. Let cool, and portion out into 6-8 servings. This recipe is easily frozen and tastes great

I love Curry and heat, If your not a fan you can omit or add spices of your choice!

First time posting a recipe, Hope I didnt forget anything!

Hope you Enjoy! Look forward to any othe suggestions for recipes or even this recipe!

Replies

• dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I always make a big batch of soup, sometimes two and freeze whatever extra we have. So on weeks when I don't prepare so much, then I can run to the freezer.

Maybe you can make more at dinner time so you have leftovers for lunch as well?
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing. These are a few recipes I like to make in bulk and put in freezable tupperwares. Take them out the night before, and voila!

CHEESEBURGER QUICHE
    1 pound ground beef
    1/3 cup onion, chopped, 1 3/4 ounces
    1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced, 1 1/4 ounces
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup cream
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger, onion and mushrooms; drain the fat and season with a little salt and pepper. Beat the eggs and mix with the mayonnaise, cream, salt and pepper. Put the meat mixture in the bottom of a greased pie plate. Mix about 1/3 of the cheese into the hamburger. Top with the remaining cheese, then pour the custard mixture evenly over top. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6 servings
    Can be frozen

Per Serving: 465 Calories; 40g Fat; 24g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

MEXICAN SPINACH & HAMBURGER CASSEROLE
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 medium onion, chopped, 2 ounces
    10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
    8 ounce cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup sour cream
    2 teaspoons Seasoning for Tacos
    10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, drained (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
    1/4 cup canned sliced pickled jalapeños
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the hamburger and onion; drain the fat. Put in a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole along with all of the remaining ingredients. Mix well and bake at 350º for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top.

Makes 6-8 servings
    Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 315 Calories; 25g Fat; 17g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    Per 1/8 Recipe: 236 Calories; 19g Fat; 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Found these at www.genaw.com/lowcarb
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Tomato Barley Soup. I double this recipe and and freeze it in individual serving freezer bags. Take out, thaw, enjoy :)
    http://www.buffchickpea.com/2009/03/chickpea-tomato-barley-soup.html

Same with this vegetarian chili:
    http://www.runtothefinish.com/2012/11/hearty-vegetable-chili.html

Zucchini black bean skillet. This too, except I don't add white rice (or water or the liquid from the beans). I just make it and then add a cooked grain to it when it's done (farro, quinoa, brown rice...whatever). Freezes well. Thaw, reheat, top with cheese, enjoy :)
    http://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Zucchini-Black-Bean-and-Rice-Skillet-5623.html
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Chicken Avocado Salad
    2 boiled chicken breasts (~2lbs)
    1 diced avocado
    3/4 cup greek plan yogurt
    1 medium diced onion
    cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop the chicken to bite sized pieces. Mix everything together.

I tried to find the original recipe but the link isn't working. This recipe makes about 8 servings for us, about 200 per serving. We eat with whole wheat bread (~150 cal) or flatbread (~100 cal).
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    bump for later. all these recipes are making me hungry!
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chm's Bowl-o-Deliciousness

1 onion, garlic (as much as you like): sautee up
    3lbs of ground turkey: brown and cook, add onion & garlic back in
    add any seasonings you like: I usually add in all sorts of italian spices: basil, oregano, rosemary, a little bit of salt and pepper

12 turkey sausage links (you can omit this if you like): cook/bake whole

quinoa: make 3 cups (in total): add any spices you like

Portion out meat into 6 containers. add to each container 1/2 C of quinoa, 2 turkey links (I cut them up before adding them) Add in 1 cup of veggies: I will generally use frozen veggies for this (like cut green beans, mixed veggies, etc).

Pop them in the freezer and you're all set! Each serving is about 440 calories but packed with 40 grams of protein!
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas there, gonna have to try them all.

Thanks all
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am very similar to you and your wife; we both work and are about to have a baby, both pack lunch each day.
    Here's what works for us:
    My husband eats a PBJ EVERY DAY (seriously) along with a homemade bag of trail mix, a protein bar of some sort an apple and chips. He makes and freezes all sandwiches on Sunday in ziplocs, makes his bags of mix, washes apples, etc...

I eat a salad each day, which I prep all ingredients for Sunday, including hard boiling eggs, baking tofu, making any beans, etc...

I also get a lot of inspiration here:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/categories/lunch

Congratulations on being new parents!!
  • The_Big_D
    The_Big_D Posts: 4
    Options
    Bump for later. Thank you everyone for sharing.

And congratulations OP on your little one!
  • dlangheim
    dlangheim Posts: 1
    Options
    I am going to try your recipe. I thought I could make Tacos with iit for something filling. Thanks heaps!:love:
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    One of my go to's is chicken salad. You can use it in a sandwich or even with lettuce as a wrap if you need to cut some carbs. I generally make a big batch for the week and don't quite measure but this should be about right. You can play with the ratios. The chicken will absorb the moisture.

2 cooked chicken breast halves, chopped (I have used canned chicken in a pinch)
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (original recipe calls for mayo)
    2 green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
    1/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
    1. Mix together the chicken and yogurt in a bowl, stir to coat well, then stir in the green onions, dried cranberries and pecans. You can serve immediately but it is best when refrigerate overnight (the flavor just gets better).
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In for new ideas!
  • LisaC101
    LisaC101 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump! Looking for new ideas too :-)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bump for the recipes. I make HUGE batches of muffin tin quiches and meatloaf. These freeze and thaw great for any meal.

Quiches:
    Cook 350 for 20 minutes (popping egg bubbles at 10 minutes is optional) No need to grease pan.
    1-2 slices depending on size (about 1oz) GOOD ham. I like black forest ham, the cheap crap has too much water and will be a disaster during microwaving. Line the inside of the cup with the ham. Doesn't have to be perfect
    1-3 leaves of spinach
    ~.25 oz of cheddar, feta or mozzerella on top of the spinach in the cup
    1 whole egg
    Optional: sprinkle of parmesan, garlic, salt and/or herbs of your choice
    Calories 100-130 depending on brands and cheese amount. Maybe less with low fat cheese but yech.
    From the refrigerator, microwave 30-60s. From the freezer, microwave aprox 2minutes. Will NOT stink.

Meatloaf:
    Required: Lean beef (at least 93/7), onion, panko (I minimize this. Can also use your own bread crumbs, crackers, etc), eggs til it sticks together
    Recommended: smoke flavor, garlic, chili powder
    Optional: Spinach, diced mushrooms or bell pepper, shredded zuchinni or carrot....
    Frosting:
    I do ketchup, brown mustard (2:1 or so), smoke flavor, and garlic.

Press the meat mixture in until the cup is filled to flat. Frost liberally. 350 for 25 minutes (check the meat I'm not completely sure on time)
    From the refrigerator, microwave 30-60s. From the freezer, microwave aprox 2minutes. Aprox 130 cals.

I also make big batches of meat when I cook, dice them and put them in labeled and dated baggies: steak, chicken, ham, pork, ground beef, roast, whatever. I also make batches of spiced, sauteed veggies: usually carrots and zucchini but it varies. Then all I have to do is grab a protein, grab the veggies and pair with a can of soup, a wrap and some bean for a taco/burrito, leftover rice, a salad, etc to have a good lunch or dinner. The can of soup is particularly easy.
  • htebazil
    htebazil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This recipe only makes four servings, but its super delicious and the serving size is huge. I make it on the weekend and bring one serving for lunch a couple days a week. I change it a bit (add zucchini in addition to the eggplant and use tomato sauce), but I'm sure it would be good as written.

http://www.marthastewart.com/336865/healthier-meat-lasagna
  • htebazil
    htebazil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is another easy recipe you can make ahead. Its good as a sandwich, on a bed of mixed greens, in a pita, or just by itself.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/smashed-chickpea-salad/
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I just make some extra dinner and bring the leftovers to work the next day to heat up in the microwave.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Natural PEANUT BUTTER and Banana sandwiches on wheat
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    wow my lunch is the most bulked up carb meal you will ever see! so when it's a day of a busy life i tent to have some fun i mean like "something normal" lol

like once i had 3 packs of mini cheddars and another pack of regular salted crisps
    but my all time norm if the 7 oat cakes, one pack mini ritz and another carb but lately i changed it to a cereal bar