MyFitnessPal for life?

Options
I've recently come to the conclusion that unless I count calories I gain weight. I find this really sad. If I want to keep the body I get, will I have to count calories forever? Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Are any of you content with doing this for life?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I've considered this as well. When I get 'lazy' with tracking I get lazy in a big way. I don't find it sad though. With the phone app, its not a big deal...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've kind of realized that's true for me as well. But, I've been doing it for over 3 years so far and it's such a normal part of my day. The times I choose not to log, I really overeat.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    As we say, it's a lifestyle change. I'm here for over 3 years.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Trust me, all skinny people do this for life - they've just learned to do it in their heads.

I have actually seen the skinny people in my life doing this over the past 2 years. They are counting, in their brains, every time they pick up a piece of birthday cake at work, or a mini-snickers in the candy bowl - and they calculate whether or not they can "afford" it.

The skinny people I have worked with in the past have also been nowhere to be found when birthday cake day happens. They'll pop in to sing happy birthday, and then they'll mysteriously vanish.

I'm not saying everyone has to be on MFP physically typing down their calories for the rest of their lives, but of the adults I know with low BMIs (and have had this their whole lives without weight issues) they absolutely count every single calorie that goes into their mouth. They read every label of everything they eat.

That's just what I've observed...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Probably--yes, but it's even sadder to gain the weight back (and many do according to the posts). Look at it as something you do everyday, like brushing your teeth, combing your hair, doing laundry, etc etc. It doesn't bother me a bit because with MFP it's easy. Best. :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Nope, not for me.

Logging consistently should be helping you get an approximate idea of how much food you should be eating per day.

When you're not counting calories and are gaining, are you still making good choices?
    Because not counting calories =/= eat anything and everything in large quantities.
  • ericalyn73
    ericalyn73 Posts: 79
    Options
    To manage your weight, you will always have to be mindful of your caloric intake. It's just a fact. That may not mean MFP for life. After a while, you may find that you have made it your way of life, so it becomes second nature to you without tracking on MFP.

Remember, if it were easy, everyone would be at their ideal weight. It's hard to be overweight, it's hard to lose weight, it's hard to maintain your weight. Choose your hard.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Trust me, all skinny people do this for life - they've just learned to do it in their heads.

I have actually seen the skinny people in my life doing this over the past 2 years. They are counting, in their brains, every time they pick up a piece of birthday cake at work, or a mini-snickers in the candy bowl - and they calculate whether or not they can "afford" it.

The skinny people I have worked with in the past have also been nowhere to be found when birthday cake day happens. They'll pop in to sing happy birthday, and then they'll mysteriously vanish.

I'm not saying everyone has to be on MFP physically typing down their calories for the rest of their lives, but of the adults I know with low BMIs (and have had this their whole lives without weight issues) they absolutely count every single calorie that goes into their mouth. They read every label of everything they eat.

Totally do not agree with this.

Intuitive eating is huge. Once you have a handle on how your body maintains and loses weight, knowing what you can/can't eat can be done without physically tracking, but keeping a mental idea of what you've eaten and what your body needs can be done.

ETA: spelling.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I had no idea that every single skinny person denies themselves cake. Good to know.

OP, you can still eat cake and not be fat.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Nope, not for me.

Logging consistently should be helping you get an approximate idea of how much food you should be eating per day.

When you're not counting calories and are gaining, are you still making good choices?
    Because not counting calories =/= eat anything and everything in large quantities.

But if I don't log it I don't have to think about it before I eat it. That's the whole joy of not logging.....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Why would anyone want to be skinny?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've recently come to the conclusion that unless I count calories I gain weight. I find this really sad. If I want to keep the body I get, will I have to count calories forever? Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Are any of you content with doing this for life?

I am perfectly content with the idea that this will be done forever. Logging takes 10 minutes or less out of my day, especially when I pre-log for the week to get a general idea.

I have issues with food and I know that I'll always have them. But I can manage them effectively using this tool.

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.” ~Maya Angelou
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've come to that same conclusion. This documentary explained why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

I recently fell of the wagon and now it's real clear to me that I can't maintain without a support system and a method of accountability like logging.

I'm ok with it. I prefer that to gaining and getting out of shape again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ms5g24qIBb1sruo27o1_500.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Dammit, now I have that song stuck in my head!:angry:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Dammit, now I have that song stuck in my head!:angry:

:flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    For me, logging is accountability in action. If I have to log for the rest of my life to keep the weight off, I will do so.
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I already waste a large amount of time in my day on stupid things like watching tv or staring at a computer screen so I might as well spend 5 minutes on logging what I eat. It's less of a hassle than being fat and miserable. I have a feeling that if I stopped logging for more than a few days, I would fall into my old habits of overeating and choosing bad foods. MFP helps me be mindful of what I eat.
    Edited to add I don't think it's a sad thing. I brush my teeth and shower daily and that doesn't make me sad. I could choose not to,but I don't think I would be happier :D
  • krawhitham
    Options

Totally do not agree with this.

Intuitive eating is huge. Once you have a handle on how your body maintains and loses weight, knowing what you can/can't eat can be done without physically tracking, but keeping a mental idea of what you've eaten and what your body needs can be done.

ETA: spelling.

Then I think what you meant to say is "totally agree with this" because if you actually read what I wrote, that's exactly what I said....
  • krawhitham
    Options

I had no idea that every single skinny person denies themselves cake. Good to know.

OP, you can still eat cake and not be fat.

Didn't say that. I simply explained my own personal observations, which can't be refuted, unless you see everything I see... that's pretty amazing of you! :laugh: