Hi. I'm new here and I really need support.

Options
My name is Amy. I'm 39, married and have two kids. I am VERY overweight. I've never really sincerely tried to lose the weight. I'm prone to pretty severe depression and tend to be very sedentary. I decided that I'd better get my head on straight about 2 weeks ago and found MFP. I've been logging every calorie on my phone with the app. It says I'm allowed 2000 calories a day and I'll lose 2 pounds a week if I eat that. I've been VERY good so far, but some days are a real struggle. My husband is thin and has the metabolism of a hummingbird. He eats when he wants and what he wants and gains nothing. He's not the most supportive person in the world when it comes to this, and insists on desserts in the house. I can usually stay away from them, for some reason once I've baked it I don't care to eat it.

I'm questioning the 2000 calories a day though. That seems like a lot. I thought I'd have to go down to 1500 or so to lose anything. I got discouraged yesterday. I have to have lost some weight, but can't tell about the pounds because I don't own a scale. I was depending on my clothing telling me I was making progress, but nothing seems looser....except the cup size on my bra. I realized that THAT is where it's happening. LOL not complaining really but it would be nice if it came off my stomach or thighs or face. Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to getting to know some people who need help too.

Thanks!

Replies

• lisavdonaldson
    lisavdonaldson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am not completely new but I keep to myself and decided today, maybe if I reach out and connect more I can have more support and motivation to stay on track. So...good luck to you!
  • cowbooger
    cowbooger Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey guys! Also new here! Well at least to the boards. Ive just recently started using MFP again. Trying again to lose. My BF luckily doesnt like sweet, but he LOVES food. His overeating and crazy eating (always wanting fast food got me here) ive always had to be careful when losing weight, I adopted some very unhealthy eating habits in highschool amd lost too much weight. My bone structure is too large to support my recommended weight of 111. Haha. At 130 I look like a bag of bones! Im in a pretty rough journey. Ive recently quit smoking also, and everyone knows that makes you eat like crazy! Plus I cant eat wheat! Go figure! Find sweet treats that are healthy for you! Thats my escape, I found these frozen fruit&veggie bars that are to die for!!!! If you ever want to talk message me! My bf never wants to talk diet haha but I need somebody who does
  • Willdta
    Willdta Posts: 11
    Options
    Welcome Amy! I would be happy to help you with your goal to lose weight! If you don't mind sharing, what's your current weight, height and activity level (how many times do you work out/week?). I can provide you with free help if you ever need it. Good luck and feel free to message me for assistance!
  • intenseze
    intenseze Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. I'm currently around 380 and would be happy to get down to 200/180. I'm being realistic here. I know it's going to take 2 or so years. I currently DON'T work out. At all. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't do much and realized I was in danger of becoming house bound. I've got tons of anxiety, as I seem to attract really nasty people when I go out. I get mooed at, stared at, and generally am someone that horrible people love to make fun of. I just want to not cringe when I look in the mirror. I get winded really easily, and I'm not sure how to start exercising without putting myself in danger. I welcome any and all help. Thank you so much.
  • Willdta
    Willdta Posts: 11
    Options
    What's your height currently? I can help you further with your diet/exercise with that info.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    We're here to help! sounds like above poster is going to run the numbers for you when he gets all the info! :)

Its also time to sit your husband down and talk about your needs. Tell him you're concerned for your health. You want to be around and healthy for as long as possible for the kids and you need his help, his partnership, to do this. If there are certain things you just don't want in the house (you know you'll eat it) let hm know you don't want it there. If he wants it he can get it when he's out for himself.

You're a team, and he should want you healthy too. Explain it in that sense. Don't let him say "I love you how you are" That is sweet and wonderful but if you are Ready and feeling Unhealthy then YOU NEED this!

Good luck!!!
    Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • intenseze
    Options
    Oops I forgot that part. I'm 5'5".

As for my husband, well let's just say there are "issues" there. He'd never say he loves me just the way I am. He's been very open about not liking the way I look. I put on about 100 lbs. since having our daughter 9 almost 10 years ago. So nope, I'm not looking like I did when we got married. It is something we are going to counseling for. He's not going to change though, I don't see it happening. I'm doing this for me though, not him. He's probably screwed no matter what at this point. If I lose this weight and his behavior changes, I'll resent that I wasn't good enough for him before I lost it. If he doesn't change it then I'll resent that he said it was the problem. Let's just hope the counselor makes a difference in that area lol.
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new here myself and you can add me! My husband is overweight, but is clearly not in the frame of mind to lose any weight right now, so I'm doing this on my own. Do this for yourself! Do what you need to do and don't pay any attention to what he is eating. Also, by eating healthier you are setting a good example for your daughter. I am super motivated right now and I am happy to try and share that motivation with you.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For me I lose off my chest, around my collar bones, neck, cheeks, belly then last of all thighs!! Don't worry it will come!!
  • intenseze
    Options
    thank you everyone. I don't know how to add friends though. How does that work?
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will send you a FR (friend request)...happy to give you some support. :flowerforyou:

here is an awesome link to read....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+your+sexy+pants

(edited to add link to path to sexypants)
  • intenseze
    Options
    nevermind....I figured it out. The things you learn when you look around for a bit. haha
  • MtnPixie
    MtnPixie Posts: 5
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. :)

One thing I want to say, and I think it was already said but needs to be repeated, is this. Do this for you. If you are doing this for someone else, it won't work. I know because I did that before.

Many years ago, the guy I was dating at the time looked at me while we were heading to Minnesota for work and told me, "I would marry you if you lost the weight." Back then I wasn't as heavy as I am now, but I was so in love with this guy that when he said that, I took it as my only chance at gaining his full love. So when we arrived in Minnesota, I asked his aunt (we were staying there at the time) to help me with that. She did, and I began to lose the weight. Unfortunately, he cheated on me and moved his 'girlfriend' up there while I was still there. Needless to say, I lost motivation and stopped my weight loss plans.

It was a hard lesson for me to learn, but it has been one that has stuck with me for a very long time. I'm doing this weight loss journey for me. The time is right, and I know that with support and MFP I can do it.

So, don't worry about your husband. Take the journey for yourself. Think about how good you'll feel, how sexy you feel and look.

*hugs* We can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • karlachula
    karlachula Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I just sent you a request. I'm Karla and I started at 320 or so in June 2011. I am now down to about 210 and trying to break through this plateau I hit. I'd be happy to provide to support and see you do we'll. I need friends so everyone feel free to add me. I was at 238 when I joined MFP last may.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to go through all of that, and for the fact that he isn't being very supportive about it. Maybe there is a reason why he is not being supportive of your desire to lose weight and get yourself in better shape. He sounds very insecure, and with him being very thin, that is what I'm banking on. He needs to understand that your condition is dangerous. He needs to understand that there are risks involved, and I'm talking about health risks. Heart diseases, hypertension, diabetes, even cancer. He needs to understand that, and support your decision to get healthier. I'm glad that you are making this choice for yourself. You do not need his approval. It's your body, and only YOU can take care of it. As far as the number of calories go, the thing you really need to focus on, more than stressing over the calories, is just to have a set meal plan involving vitamins and supplements, lean meats, good carbs (sweet potatoes and brown rice, for example), fruits and vegetables, and lots of water. You're doing a good job of avoiding simple sugars. You need 5 meals a day, and that's three regular meals (or 2 meal replacement shakes and 1 big dinner), and two protein snacks. I can't stress the protein enough. It is important to get the protein in your system because you need to boost metabolism. Protein will help (not entirely do it for you). Protein will really aid in weight loss. More protein, and less carbs is really the way to go. Don't deprive yourself of good nutrition by "watching your calories." All you need is good nutrition. And then the exercise. It's important to exercise 150 minutes per week. You don't need to do anything vigorous right now, but as long as you can get your blood flowing, and improve your strength, you will get healthier every time. It's all about progression. Take baby steps.

I really hope this helps, and I really hope that this will encourage you. You can do this. I know you can.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would start with the 2000 per day, majority protien and then veggies, really limit the carbs. No soda and lots of water.

Lower calories slowly as you increase exercise. Start with chair exercises if you have to and walking as you can.

Try to get up every hour to at least take a few steps.

It will happen if you stick to it and if you have a bad day, log it, accept it and start anew the next day.

Never giving up is the key!!

Best of luck!!!
  • joyce325
    joyce325 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also new. Been tracking my food for about a week now. April 17 I went to the dr for a rash and left with the a script for Metformin for high blood sugar. I have completely changed what I eat, making better choices. No bread or soda at all. My husband and I take the dogs for a walk 2-3 times a week, usually 30 minutes. I started this week on the treadmill 15 min after breakfast and 15 min. after lunch. I am determined to come off the meds. I weigh 243 and I am 5 3. Hope to make some friends to help keep me on track during this journey of a life change. :smile:
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tammy I will send a FR and anyone here can feel free to add me......
  • mom2tm
    mom2tm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So- I was sticking with a 1200-1400 calorie diet and eating back about half of my workout calories - and I was working out 5 times a week and sticking strict to the diet. And saw the scale move about 2lbs in about 3-4 weeks. I was getting very frustrated. And then a friend I made on here told me I was putting myself into starvation mode - moved myself up to 1900 calories a day (with a good assortment of healthy foods) two weeks ago - and have lost about 5lbs in the past two weeks. Who knew eating more would help me lose more! It's working and I plan on sticking with it.
    Best of luck to you - you are more than welcome to add me as a friend - I try to get on a log everyday.
    My name is Amy. I'm 39, married and have two kids. I am VERY overweight. I've never really sincerely tried to lose the weight. I'm prone to pretty severe depression and tend to be very sedentary. I decided that I'd better get my head on straight about 2 weeks ago and found MFP. I've been logging every calorie on my phone with the app. It says I'm allowed 2000 calories a day and I'll lose 2 pounds a week if I eat that. I've been VERY good so far, but some days are a real struggle. My husband is thin and has the metabolism of a hummingbird. He eats when he wants and what he wants and gains nothing. He's not the most supportive person in the world when it comes to this, and insists on desserts in the house. I can usually stay away from them, for some reason once I've baked it I don't care to eat it.

I'm questioning the 2000 calories a day though. That seems like a lot. I thought I'd have to go down to 1500 or so to lose anything. I got discouraged yesterday. I have to have lost some weight, but can't tell about the pounds because I don't own a scale. I was depending on my clothing telling me I was making progress, but nothing seems looser....except the cup size on my bra. I realized that THAT is where it's happening. LOL not complaining really but it would be nice if it came off my stomach or thighs or face. Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to getting to know some people who need help too.

Thanks!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hi. you can get some walking dvd's at your local library or on line. that way you can get started on a little exercise right at home, and go about it at your own pace. you will build up your stamina and your confidence. add me if you like.