Why is oatmeal

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That's because you haven't tried steel-cut oats---"the champagne of oatmeal". I soak them overnight, rinse them in the a.m. and simmer them with a bit of sea salt for an hour. Then I top them with a generous dollop of organic butter (my hubby puts a bit of maple syrup on them). They taste FANTASTIC. I eat regular oatmeal (rolled oats) but it does have a bit of a "cardboardy" taste compared to steel-cut oats.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    This is the one I get for instant. I'm a single mommy of two boys.....fast and easy is important!! :laugh:
    89693-instant-oatmeal.jpg
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I prefer the old fashioned oats because they are chewy. I hate instant because it gets all slimy.

I prefer cream of wheat to oats though.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    the thing is that whole rolled oats are not "slow" in any way

mine cook in 2x1.5 minutes in the microwave, no pot straight in the bowl (less washing up - as long as your bowl is wide enough to avoid the microwave mess from bubbling gooey stuff)
    they are traditional rolled oats, not instant, or quick cook
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make steel cut as well....and cook up a big batch to last me a few mornings. :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They all taste the same to me, to be honest. Rolled, old fashioned rolled, old fashioned, steel cut, one minute (which is the same as instant I think)... same thing. The only thing that changes a bit is the consistency.
    Rolled and old fashioned are the same thing.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i dont eat much oatmeal but when i do i make sure its already flavored for me no adding sugar or any fruits just eat it the way it is..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal tastes like sadness and disappointment,
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Is someone forcing you to eat it?

I love oatmeal. Especially overnight oats. Yumm.

Maybe it's a texture thing too. Some people don't like how it feels on their tongue.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Steel cut every morning here too...and it's usually my favorite meal of the day.

I mix up my add ins though, and rarely add more than 50 calories worth of "stuff"
    - tsp of brown sugar & a few raisins
    - 1/4 apple and cinnamon
    - honey & nutmeg
    - a couple chopped dates
    - a tsp maple syrup
    - a few strawberries or blueberries

So many options, it never gets old to me
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like warm oatmeal with a bit of cinnamon and honey, or I'll do overnight oatmeal (oatmeal, yogurt, and milk in the fridge overnight) and add a bit of jam. If it is too watery or mushy, though, it can be gross.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I like oatmeal if it has tons of cream and sweetener added. Otherwise, blech. I only cook steel cut now and it's a bit better tasting but it takes a long time so I have to cook up a big batch and reheat it through the week.

Also, what is this thing about it keeping you full??!! The toppings alone would keep me more full than if I eat them with oatmeal. If anything, I feel that oatmeal makes everything pass through my system faster. I'm usually hungry 2 hours after eating it, and I need it to last me more like 3-4 hours.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I sometimes make steel cut as well....and cook up a big batch to last me a few mornings. :smile:

The problem is, after a couple of days I can't stand the thought of eating it again. And so I have a batch of oatmeal going bad in the fridge from last week. :embarassed:

Yeah, nobody's forcing me to eat it, but I hear so often about it being a great breakfast food that I'm persuaded to try it again. Maybe I need to try steel cut oats? Maybe I didn't put the right toppings on it. Maybe I'm not eating enough of it. I can stuff myself with oatmeal and still be hungry a couple of hours later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do not like rolled oats and instant oats are vile. I prefer steel cut oats for their texture...the next best thing is Coach's Oats which take less time to cook and have a very similar texture to steel cut. I sprinkle mine with some large grain kosher salt and some maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Overnight old fashioned oats in a crockpot with unsweetened almond milk (instead of water) and pumpkin pie spice. Divine. It takes on a wonderful texture and aroma compared to microwave and processed goo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So damn disgusting( don't mean to offend the oatmeal lovers)

sugar doesn't help

Are you boiling it? It's a mushy mess that way. I like mine baked, like a granola bar. crunchy > mushy
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal cooked on the stove (or in the crock pot or in the oven), but love those little sugar-laden instant oatmeal packets, so I learned to make my own "instant" packets that have less sugar in a bigger portion. It's all about consistency. I add brown sugar, sugar free vanilla coffee creamer, cinnamon, and PB2. I also never cook it with water, because that's disgusting. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, mix it up, microwave for 1.5-2 minutes. Yummmm!
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    lol...i love oatmeal so much i can't have it in the house or else i would binge on it.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So damn disgusting( don't mean to offend the oatmeal lovers)

sugar doesn't help

Because your mom kicked kittens when she was pregnant with you.

Fact because science.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    They all taste the same to me, to be honest. Rolled, old fashioned rolled, old fashioned, steel cut, one minute (which is the same as instant I think)... same thing. The only thing that changes a bit is the consistency.

Consistency is important for me. Instant is like baby food.....blech! Old Fashioned rolled oats (which are still a form of instant) have some texture....but steel cut is my favorite. Even instant steel cut has good texture unless you cook it to death.

OP - have you tried toasting the oats first? That may help. Peanut butter is a good combo with toasted oats.

You definitely have to add a pinch of salt to any oatmeal.