Why is oatmeal

Replies

• jss150
    jss150 Posts: 14 Member
    The key is to buy decent oatmeal - not the Quaker instant crap. Buy a good Irish Steel Cut oatmeal and don't overcook. Add some strawberries and just a little sugar in the raw or Stevia and its a great breakfast that lasts for hours.

Look, it will never be confused with bacon but it works!
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    I make my porridge with water - pop it in the microwave for 4 mins (until it's risen so much it's nearly spilling over the bowl), then mix in some peanut butter and blueberries - YUMMMMEEHHHHHHH!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    I don't mind the taste, but the texture is terrible to me. I literally have to force myself to eat it and try not to gag.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    i mostly use the steel cut coarse ground oatmeal.... which is more like rice... (mccann's) i love it. i love it as a hot breakfast with cinnamon and nutmeg and brown sugar, but its also good as a thickener in potato and leek soup or barley soup.... in scotland they put oatmeal in everything. i think the tastiest one was oats mixed with vanilla ice cream. i think the vegetarian haggis I had at a burns night party was oats mixed with carrots and turnips...
    my mother does not care for oats as such but she loves oatmeal cookies.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Honestly, with some foods I make the distinction between food for taste and food for fuel. Oatmeal being one of those foods that I eat purely because I know it will keep me energised and full for X amount of time. A spoonful of peanut butter mixed in does help though. =P
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Are you boiling it? It's a mushy mess that way. I like mine baked, like a granola bar. crunchy > mushy

oh yeah..... granola!!!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    I love oatmeal. Very filling and economical as well. I eat it plain with boiled water and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I'll add 1/2 cup of diced apple or banana with a teaspoon of cinnamon. I also use it in my breakfast smoothie:

1/4 cup rolled oats
    1 medium banana
    1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
    1 cup light vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup ice.

It is very satisfying and curbs hunger for hours. So, don't give up on oatmeal yet. Just keep experimenting.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Steel-cut only... rolled oats are only for granola and cookies and instant oats are only for the trash can :smile:

The trick is to toast the oats first (in a skillet or under the broiler - but don't overdo it) cook 4:1 water to oats on medium low until the desired consistency is reached, then stir in a pinch of salt. Add toppings to your hearts content - some of my favorites include
    - the classic brown sugar and cinnamon
    - peanut butter
    - vanilla almond milk
    - dried fruit
    - options are endless
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Oatmeal flavor is wonderful (in cookies and breads), but the texture makes me yak. I can't stand how it feels like it's supposed to be crunchy, but is mushy and soggy, instead.

:sick:
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Love the steel cut oats, cook it in water and served with a small amount of cranberries and nuts with some cinnamon.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Eat it in protein pancakes, Like I had for lunch today!

1 C dry oatmeal
    1 C egg whites
    1 C cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    dash of vanilla extract
    pinch of salt

blend until batter-like, pour into hot oiled pan. Makes 6 HUGE pancakes.

Cal: 748
    Carbs: 68g
    Fat: 11g
    Protein: 88g

I ate mine with sugar free jam. Four hours later, I'm still stuffed!
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! I couldn't even look at oatmeal before, now it is almost a daily breakfast. TBS of pb with a little sugar makes it taste like a peanut butter cookie. Sooo yummy :bigsmile:
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    I love oatmeal. I eat it every morning before heading off to morning classes.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    I think people make it wrong. I can't stand it when it is that think, mushy consistency - like a ball of paste in your mouth - YUCK! I like the instant stuff that you can pour directly into hot water, stir, and eat. I prefer it a little soupy and like it a little better when it is a little under-cooked. Then the texture is more like "hot cereal" to me rather than mush. I get the Quaker Instant oatmeal in the lower sugar variety. Pop a bowl with 1/2 cup of water into the microwave for a minute and then pour the oatmeal packet in the bowl. It's not how they tell you to do it on the package, but it tastes better my way. :)
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    To each their own. I love oats in any form. Oatmeal too.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    You're doing it wrong.

I make overnight protein oatmeal all the time and it's amazing.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    PEANUT BUTTER!!! I couldn't even look at oatmeal before, now it is almost a daily breakfast. TBS of pb with a little sugar makes it taste like a peanut butter cookie. Sooo yummy :bigsmile:

This is exactly how my boyfriend eats it! I prefer mine with vanilla protein powder, mixed berries, and shredded coconut. I looooove oats.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    1. Never EVER use instant. Traditional oats only
    false. instant oatmeal is all i ever use, and i love it.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    I cook mine then mix it with a little coconut milk/cream and sweeten with either honey or natural palm sugar. The coconutty flavor makes it taste delicious.:smile::smile:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/
    Today I ate her recipe for mango chutney oats. Wow~
    My favorite is the orange spice.

http://oatgasm.blogspot.com/ is also fantastic