Why is oatmeal

Options

Replies

• SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I cook mine then mix it with a little coconut milk/cream and sweeten with either honey or natural palm sugar. The coconutty flavor makes it taste delicious.:smile::smile:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/
    Today I ate her recipe for mango chutney oats. Wow~
    My favorite is the orange spice.

http://oatgasm.blogspot.com/ is also fantastic
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal gives me FREAKY BAD heartburn. I can't eat it very often.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hot steel-cut oats poured over frozen berries and then drizzled with honey
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love it! But only when cooked with part milk, part water and a banana. If I don't have a banana then it's a really tough eat! Peanut butter or brown sugar also go well.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I'm probably gonna be unpopular cause I make mine with water and just add a few (15g) of raisins to mine.

I'm lactose intolerant though so maybe that's why I like it like this. One of my pals tried to make it with just water and hated it, hah!
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I've never had an oatmeal I didn't like. Sometimes I just need more flavor, though.

Recently I've been eating a "raw organic multi-grain oatmeal" (with flax and quinoa) and it's delicious. Comes in two flavors that I've found--Cinnamon Plum and Chai Spice. They're delicious and not too high in sugar.

Alternately, a little honey, some fruit, or a protein powder that you particularly enjoy are all great ways to make oatmeal taste sweeter and more flavorful. When I was working out hard every day, last year, I would have an envelope of plain instant oatmeal (I was in a place where high-quality oatmeal wasn't really available) with a half-scoop of vanilla protein powder every morning as a post-workout meal.

You can also grind it up and blend it into a smoothie or protein shake--There's a smoothie bar at my gym that does that, and it's really good. Makes the smoothie very satisfying.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The key is cinnamon.
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal...1/2 old fashioned oats has 5 grams of protein to keep a body going. I do the overnight method with no cooking involved.

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup milk
    3 oz Dannon fit &light banana cream
    2 tbls PB2
    mix, cover, set on counter overnight. Stir eat.

I eat at room temperature but can be heated up.

Yum Yum
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    why is oatmeal so awesome? well its so awesome because its incredibly versatile and can be eaten sweet or savory with every flavor under the sun (well that might be a slight exaggeration)

I prefer mine to be steel cut oats, but I'll take old fashioned.
    I love chocolate oatmeal the bestest
    baked oatmeal is pretty awesome too (just ate some that tasted JUST like banana bread)
    I frequently cook an egg into mine for an extra protein boost (with zero flavor change)

google/pinterest oatmeal and bask in the glorious results :)
  • tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Steel oats with prunes cooked in the crock pot overnight. Serve with milk on it in the morning is delicious.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way until my girl friend made it with 1T peanut butter and agave nectar and 1 T mini chocolate chips. Who doesn't like peanut butter and chocolate. Really good
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    My kid swore he would never like oatmeal, now he asks for it every morning. I put 1/3 cup of oatmeal
    with almost a cup of water in a bowl (not instant oatmeal) and microwave it for 2 min. I let it sit for a
    couple minutes for the water to finish being soaked in but while it is doing that I add 1 1/2 Tablespoons
    of peanut butter. I stir it up and then add 1 tsp of brown sugar on top. It might
    sound gross but it is very good. I used to laugh at my hubby for eating PB with it but now I love it too. It keeps your hunger
    satisfied for hours and gives you lots of energy.
  • JonfromIndiana
    JonfromIndiana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I enjoy oatmeal with almond milk and a little sugar free syrup :)
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar, cream, and raisins = delicious.

oatmeal plain = disgusting.

In other words, oatmeal is just a convenient (and relatively healthy) way to get full while eating other stuff that tastes good.

Sort of like popcorn. It's the vehicle for salt/butter - or sugar - or cheese powder - or whatever you put on it...
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So damn disgusting( don't mean to offend the oatmeal lovers)

sugar doesn't help

Totally hear you, homeboy. I loathe it.
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hated all oatmeals until I undercooked it with peanut butter and chocolate protein power. Now it tastes like and has the consistency of a chocolate no bake cookie. Totally yummy!! High in calories though : )
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal & Egg white pancakes <3
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal...1/2 old fashioned oats has 5 grams of protein to keep a body going. I do the overnight method with no cooking involved.

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup milk
    3 oz Dannon fit &light banana cream
    2 tbls PB2
    mix, cover, set on counter overnight. Stir eat.

I eat at room temperature but can be heated up.

Yum Yum

Wait! You leave yogurt and milk out on the counter overnight?
    Please say you mean in the fridge.
  • woofit49
    woofit49 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oat meal is not just a sweet breakfast item. Oat meal can be an amazing filler for savory soups ,beans.chilli, meat loafs, and other dishes too. Try cooking up a pot of lentils with chicken and spices and then when the pot of lentils are almost done, pour in a couple of cups of dry oat meal. Talk about a stick to your ribs meal that acts like a fat and cholesterol sponge.