Expert on what shouldn't be in poor people's grocery carts.

Options
I saw this and had to post it here:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p,35922

--The Onion is satire, for those unfamiliar. Don't freak out.

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Satire with a little bit of truth laced in. Love the onion for stuff like this.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there are people like this. I am on food stamps. During one online conversation I was talking about making pepper steak. I was told that if I were on food stamps, I didn't deserve to have steak. Never mind that it was the kind of steak that you get in the 5 meats for $20 bundle . . . I was poor and should be relying on eggs and 70/30 hamburger, with the occasional can of tuna and commodity cheese for my protein. I think he would have had a stroke if I told him I bought the $5.99 bag of frozen shrimp, too--but the way I measure it out, those shrimp last for six meals. It's sad--people complain if poor people buy packaged food, they complain if we buy fresh veggies, they complain if we buy meat, they complain if we buy a gallon of milk . . . and Heaven forbid if you buy cans of soda or potato chips because you're going to be driving longish distances and it makes more sense to do that than to buy them at the gas station when the munchies hit.

I had a friend who was on food stamps. She was disabled and could not work or do much of anything. Her aunt bought her a really nice cell phone and paid the bill for almost four years (until my friend died) because she never wanted my friend to be out of contact (due to her health issues) and she wanted her niece to have something to do other than sit and watch television. You'd be amazed at the nasty looks and comments she got on the rare occasions she went out.

People just need to mind their own business. :)
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Now that was funny/sad. Mostly sad.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I have never understood why it matters so much to others what someone else is doing, eating, who their attracted to, religion/non/religion,etc.
  • missmelfina
    missmelfina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Had some health issues myself that led to me being on food stamps. My mom was cool enough to handle my phone bill ($40/ mo for a free but nice phone which I could use for school and my side job). House bills were about all my husband and I could afford. We bought any clothes we needed from poor shops, and we ate steak A LOT. The reason was that we could get it so cheaply and would each eat half a steak and it would last a while. We'd get big huge bags of frozen veggies that would last us the weak, Value bread and sandwich toppings, oat meal, and one fruit for the week. That would feed us the entire week. We got $200 a month in food stamps and we rarely went over. If you do the math, that's $25 per person per week or just under $3.60 per person per day. We drank water and tea (tea because my family got us an entire cupboard of it for Christmas). On a rare occasion, we'd get milk. Can YOU stay under 1500 calories a day on $3.60 a day? I can.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Had some health issues myself that led to me being on food stamps. My mom was cool enough to handle my phone bill ($40/ mo for a free but nice phone which I could use for school and my side job). House bills were about all my husband and I could afford. We bought any clothes we needed from poor shops, and we ate steak A LOT. The reason was that we could get it so cheaply and would each eat half a steak and it would last a while. We'd get big huge bags of frozen veggies that would last us the weak, Value bread and sandwich toppings, oat meal, and one fruit for the week. That would feed us the entire week. We got $200 a month in food stamps and we rarely went over. If you do the math, that's $25 per person per week or just under $3.60 per person per day. We drank water and tea (tea because my family got us an entire cupboard of it for Christmas). On a rare occasion, we'd get milk. Can YOU stay under 1500 calories a day on $3.60 a day? I can.

That's amazingly awesome. Seriously! You'd be surprised at how many can't manage it or don't know they could if they tried.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What a judgemental website. Whose business is it what in an individual's cart? We might raise an eyebrow if we see six cases of fizzy drink, but to lay them down on a website? I'd be mortified if I felt someone was judging me and my character on my shopping basket. Food stamps or not, it's irrelevant.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there are people like this. I am on food stamps. During one online conversation I was talking about making pepper steak. I was told that if I were on food stamps, I didn't deserve to have steak. Never mind that it was the kind of steak that you get in the 5 meats for $20 bundle . . . I was poor and should be relying on eggs and 70/30 hamburger, with the occasional can of tuna and commodity cheese for my protein. I think he would have had a stroke if I told him I bought the $5.99 bag of frozen shrimp, too--but the way I measure it out, those shrimp last for six meals. It's sad--people complain if poor people buy packaged food, they complain if we buy fresh veggies, they complain if we buy meat, they complain if we buy a gallon of milk . . . and Heaven forbid if you buy cans of soda or potato chips because you're going to be driving longish distances and it makes more sense to do that than to buy them at the gas station when the munchies hit.

I had a friend who was on food stamps. She was disabled and could not work or do much of anything. Her aunt bought her a really nice cell phone and paid the bill for almost four years (until my friend died) because she never wanted my friend to be out of contact (due to her health issues) and she wanted her niece to have something to do other than sit and watch television. You'd be amazed at the nasty looks and comments she got on the rare occasions she went out.

People just need to mind their own business. :)

There's a little bit to both sides, here. No one should ever give you **** for buying a steak, that's just dumb. I, too, am currently on food stamps and I buy some things that are not within the regular spectrum of poverty food (tuna steak, tofu, cous cous) and have received the dirty looks at the checkout...... from women like this character and from other folks using food stamps.

The big problem is that government assistance programs are not rehabilitative nor are they focused on improving the lives or health of people on them. I find it pretty ridiculous that you can't buy a damn rotisserie chicken on SNAP but you can buy a gallon tub of ice cream. Same way I find it appalling a welfare recipient can buy subs for his car while his kids are going to school in rags (which is not in ANY way to say that all or most of them do, just that it is too easy to abuse the system for too long). But that said, as long as the government wants to supplement my diet while I'm still working, I'm not gonna argue.

And then we have this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLTTX35LNJo
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What a judgemental website. Whose business is it what in an individual's cart? We might raise an eyebrow if we see six cases of fizzy drink, but to lay them down on a website? I'd be mortified if I felt someone was judging me and my character on my shopping basket. Food stamps or not, it's irrelevant.

It's a joke site. :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is when somebody in the grocery line buys a few junk, name brand items and then uses the change from the food stamps to buy two cartons of cigarettes.
    I've actually seen this, more than once.
    The $50 mani-pedi with arcrylic nails and designs are also a bit over the top.
    I used to work at a free clinic where folks were really poor but didn't have government assistance. I had to admire the tenacity of these people, many were older illegals that came to live with there kids. Also a lot of them came from Africa and had spent time starving and being assaulted in refugee camps.
    I had some people who had lost their entire families in Africa. Very sad.
    I always tried to help them with healthy food shopping because so many had diabetes. They all saw our diabetes nutritionist,too.
    I didn't need to do all that and it certainly ate up a lot of my day, besides doing all the social work needed to get them necessary medical resources.
    I've spent a lot of my life being quite broke and I'm pretty creative with the food and clothing for this reason. We still eat a lot of beans and garden greens because my husband has been a full-time student for 8 years and I've been out of work for a disability.
    We are basically living on my VA disability check and some extra money that my husband gets for a forum that he owns.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

It's a joke site. :)

Yes, the site is indeed a joke site.

Just a quick observation . . . I don't live near a Winn Dixie, but on occasion, I travel past one. Whenever I do, I stop in and but "fizzy drinks" there because they typically sell the 12-packs at either 4/$10 or 5/$11. If I stock up on four or five and only drink one or two a day, they last me until the next time I drive by and I get to have them for a few cents a day. Even when you see what you think you're seeing, you might not be seeing it.

Eyes on your own papers, people.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me is when somebody in the grocery line buys a few junk, name brand items and then uses the change from the food stamps to buy two cartons of cigarettes.

Unless you're living in the 20th century somehow, that's really not possible any longer.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

The onion is nothing but satire. Do not take it seriously.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

It's all on electronic cards now, no change. But I'm sure you really did see that.
  • iwtfytj
    iwtfytj Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Unless you're living in the 20th century somehow, that's really not possible any longer.

I agree...huh? Food stamps are now done via debit card-like systems pretty much everywhere. You don't get change.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I could probably give Ms. Carol a run for her money. I used to work for the state as a case worker and nothing irritated me more than when one of my clients a came in for an interview, carrying her coach hand bag, texting on her iPhone, while her kidos played on iPads. Then she would tell me that her engagement ring was just for looks and the kids dad didn't live with her. He just stopped my sometimes.. but he didn't eat there. Lol the good ol' days. Totally ruined being a bleeding heart for me.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I realize that but I used to see it all the time when I was a medical student in the 90's.
    The mani-pedis are really more of a millennium phenom.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I realize that but I used to see it all the time when I was a medical student in the 90's.
    The mani-pedis are really more of a millennium phenom.

So, you think something you saw two decades ago gives you the right to pass judgment on people today? And . . . huh? Mani-pedis? I honestly think that you're just speaking to hear yourself talk right now.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lol. I love the onion.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    thank you - I had forgotten how ridiculously hilarious The Onion can be. Just spent a while going from article to article, finishing up (maybe) on the video of Teen Boys Losing Virginity Earlier And Earlier, Report Teen Boys http://www.theonion.com/video/teen-boys-losing-virginity-earlier-and-earlier-rep,35906/ :laugh:

No kitten videos so far though.......................