RUNNING: what makes you stop ....

Options
I'm gradually increasing my running distances on the treadmill, and am interested in what makes people decide that they have had enough and need to reduce down to a walk. In my case, I think it is my lungs and panting, although sometimes my heart rate exceeds 170 and I have a psychological freakout about pushing it further.

So, I'd love to know what stops you e.g. is it muscle fatigue, is it your lung capacity, is it your heart, is it psychological.

M

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    so far it's only been when I hit 6.2 miles. I'm planning on adding miles on to that. so we'll see what stops me, probably nothing. I'm sure I can run a 15k and stop at 15K.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of boredom and being out of breath that does it for me. The burn in my legs I can handle, but once my chest starts hurting (which usually is about 4 miles in on the treadmill), I'm about done. Fortunately when I run outdoors I don't have this problem because the scenery distracts me and I can push myself further.

I'm also like you and my heart rate gets up really high and it freaks me out, so that can cause me to stop as well. I don't understand how some people run super fast - if I run any faster than like 10.5 minute mile, my heart rate skyrockets up to over 180. I try to run at about an 11 minute mile pace to be safe.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I don't stop until I have completed my scheduled training run.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    It's a combination of boredom and being out of breath that does it for me. The burn in my legs I can handle, but once my chest starts hurting (which usually is about 4 miles in on the treadmill), I'm about done. Fortunately when I run outdoors I don't have this problem because the scenery distracts me and I can push myself further.

I'm also like you and my heart rate gets up really high and it freaks me out, so that can cause me to stop as well. I don't understand how some people run super fast - if I run any faster than like 10.5 minute mile, my heart rate skyrockets up to over 180. I try to run at about an 11 minute mile pace to be safe.

the more fit you are the harder it is to raise your heart rate. I can run a 5K and a little more at a 9:30 min/mile but can't sustain it longer than 5 miles. so i slow it down. I see people running 10Ks at the park i run at, at full speed. they are just more fit than I am and can sustain those speeds for much longer.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Running is a head game. There's a quote that says "Your legs aren't giving out, your head is giving up," which in my case is totally true. I'm re-doing the Couch to 5K (because I quit running over the winter) and even this morning when I REALLY want to give up I do a physical inventory. Can I breathe? Yes. Am I in any physical pain that would justify stopping? No. But do I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to walk? Heck yes. Its a battle almost every day.

However, this is after the initial "I'm so out of shape I can't breathe" stage. For me it lasted about a month. I remember the point when I first realized I didn't have to stop because my lungs couldn't handle it. That was a great day! You'll get there too.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

hell yeah!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I stop because I only want to do 2-3 miles at a time for my fitness goals. I used to run far more (cross country in HS and hobby runner in college) and only stopped runs based on what I had scheduled for the week. I never upped my mileage by more than 5% each week.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

^^THIS^^
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Given the nature of this question, I'm assuming you're new to running, or just don't know what you're really doing with it.

Slow down. Running to the point of that kind of exhaustion is unnecessary and pointless, unless you're doing LT work, which I doubt.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    we all have different limiters.

I am a cyclist. I have a (relatively) huge engine. I am not used to taking a beating from the bouncing.

As preparation for an obstacle race last year I ran 18 km one day. Took about 2 hours "steady". I could hardly run straight at the end, my knees and ankles were shot. I was, though, not particularly tired (I regularly do 4 hour bike rides).

You build up to it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Anyway, to answer your question, what stops me is reaching the goal of my training run - usually a distance, whether 6 or 16 miles. If I'm out there doing speedwork, I'm done when the pace is met or the intervals are done. On race day, I'm done when I cross the finish line.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The only times I have ended a run early are if my legs turn to jelly. That has only happened to me a few times, and it's always been during the first couple weeks after I've run a half marathon. My legs just weren't back up to par yet.

My normal approach to running is to pick a distance I know I can run and I go at a very comfortable pace. Because of this, I usually feel great during and after a run, and I have no need to ever quit.
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You're right, I've only recently started. But actually there is motivation behind the question in that I had my first ever asthma attack at the weekend (at home, not exercise induced) and I'm keen to figure out whether lung capacity is something that is a common reason for people to stop or if my lungs are a bit weak and something I need to be aware of. Carrying on until I've finished what I planned to do is not currently an option as I need to be sensible with my health, but I'm trying to establish how far I can push things.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For myself, it's when I start panting and have difficulty breathing. But at the same time, sometimes I think it's psychological because some days, I seem to be able to run a lot longer than other days. My body's just a roller-coaster :tongue:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

^^THIS^^

Well yes, this also. Hahah
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I frequently get cramps in my side. If I can't breathe through it, and the pain worsens, I stop
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If it's on the treadmill, utter boredom after 0.23345 of a nanosecond lol.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    You're right, I've only recently started. But actually there is motivation behind the question in that I had my first ever asthma attack at the weekend (at home, not exercise induced) and I'm keen to figure out whether lung capacity is something that is a common reason for people to stop or if my lungs are a bit weak and something I need to be aware of. Carrying on until I've finished what I planned to do is not currently an option as I need to be sensible with my health, but I'm trying to establish how far I can push things.

You'll get better results if you slow your roll, trust me, I've watched Spirit of the Marathon. Unless you're just randomly pegging the treadmill to prove something, I dunno.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For a 39-year-old woman who is trying to increase running distance, your heart rate should stay mostly in the 145-158 range, slowing down or speeding up as needed. When you start working on speed you'll want to train in other heart rate ranges but this is the beginner range for increasing endurance and developing muscle/joint/bone strength.

Have you looked into couch to 5k at all?
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    at 360 lb's, i can only jog at 5 mph for a minute, and it is my sides and breathing that get me.

i do 2 min walking at 3, 1 min at 5, rinse repeat.

so far, can only do 5 cycles of that before my sides cramp too much. walking is no problem- the most i have done at one time is 5 miles, but it doesnt do as much for me as the 1 mile alternating like that.

oh yea...HR was showing over 180 after each jogging interval.