American Pancakes

Options

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    that looks like a crepe which is a french style pancake. go to foodtv.com and look up alton brown.
  • beckystaystrong
    Options
    here, we can buy pancake mix…i don't think I have made pancakes from scratch! I would like to know the result of this post!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    here, we can buy pancake mix….

wink-point.gif
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, one of my favorites:

Pancakes

Ingredients

cup all-purpose flour

tablespoon sugar

teaspoons baking powder

1/4

teaspoon salt

beaten egg

cup milk

tablespoons cooking oil

Directions
    1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
    2. In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, and cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy).
    3. For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. For dollar-size pancakes, pour about 1 tablespoon batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or till pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. Makes 8 to 10 standard-size (4-inch) or 36 dollar-size (2-inch) pancakes (8 servings).

From the Test Kitchen

Buckwheat Pancakes:

Prepare Pancakes as at left, except substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/ cup buckwheat flour for the all-purpose flour; substitute brown sugar for the sugar. Nutrition Facts per serving: 111 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat)

Buttermilk Pancakes:

Prepare Pancakes as at left, except reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to dry mixture; substitute buttermilk or sour milk for the milk. Add additional buttermilk to thin batter, if necessary. Nutrition Facts per serving: 111 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat)

Nutrition Facts (Pancakes) Per serving: 114 kcal cal.,
    5 g fat
    (1 g sat. fat,
    29 mg chol.,
    181 mg sodium,
    14 g carb.,
    3 g pro.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I used to go to the International House Of Pancakes, back in the day.
  • tmjdunn
    tmjdunn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ^^This. I use the better homes and garden cookbook recipe everytime. The only thing i change is i add a splash of vanilla into it cuz i adore the way vanilla tastes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't over think it... Been using Bisquick since I was old enough to pull a chair up to the kitchen counter on a Saturday morning at my Grandma's house and still have a couple boxes in the cupboard to this day... lol
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    1 egg
    1 1/4 C buttermilk
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/4 C flour
    1 tsp sugar
    2 Tbl shortening
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Cook on griddle full of excess bacon grease.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just made these pancakes last night: http://www.fifteenspatulas.com/whole-wheat-pancakes/

YUM! I accidentally added tablespoons of sugar instead of teaspoons though. Oops.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook, one of my favorites:

Pancakes

Ingredients

cup all-purpose flour

tablespoon sugar

teaspoons baking powder

1/4

teaspoon salt

beaten egg

cup milk

tablespoons cooking oil

Directions
    1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
    2. In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, and cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy).
    3. For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. For dollar-size pancakes, pour about 1 tablespoon batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or till pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. Makes 8 to 10 standard-size (4-inch) or 36 dollar-size (2-inch) pancakes (8 servings).

From the Test Kitchen

Buckwheat Pancakes:

Prepare Pancakes as at left, except substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/ cup buckwheat flour for the all-purpose flour; substitute brown sugar for the sugar. Nutrition Facts per serving: 111 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat)

Buttermilk Pancakes:

Prepare Pancakes as at left, except reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to dry mixture; substitute buttermilk or sour milk for the milk. Add additional buttermilk to thin batter, if necessary. Nutrition Facts per serving: 111 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat)

Nutrition Facts (Pancakes) Per serving: 114 kcal cal.,
    5 g fat
    (1 g sat. fat,
    29 mg chol.,
    181 mg sodium,
    14 g carb.,
    3 g pro.

Thanks :) I'll try this. I'm English btw, English pancakes are like Crepes but they aren't as thin, and they taste a bit more like batter (the ingredients are the same for Yorkshire Puddings) and they aren't really as uniform. But that is what I was brought up on on pancake day.
  • TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am an American who lives in Europe and can't get American pancakes out here. They all look like the ones in your picture. So whenever I crave pancakes from back home I make these ones which taste spot on:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/american-breakfast-pancakes-141