Martial Artists?

Options
13»

Replies

• bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I do Shotokan too! But I moved into this little town, where I cannot seem to find a dojo!! All they have here is Taekwondo, and I am not one for it. I miss Shotokan!
    Helllooo!!!

I do Shotokan karate, done it for 4-5 years in total and I'm grading soon so trying to get my head round a new kata. I love it :heart: :love:
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My kids do capoeira, and when I want to switch up my workouts at home I will do some of the kick/escape combos they do in class. I play with my son sometimes because he always wants to have a roda at home. I figure as long as he is interested, and I have the rudimentary ability, why not?
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    TOO COOL! my hubby and I love love LOVE History and Ren faires, reenactments etc! We are wanting to participate more. Congrats on your placement on fencing! So cool!

HEMA fighter here - historic European martial arts. Used to do mainly broadsword and viking-rules wrestling, now it's Renaissance fencing and I'm training my horse for jousting. Came 4th at the fencing tournament last weekend - only out of 10, but I was the only woman and the three guys who beat me are all at least two ranks above me... Had to give up longsword because my shoulder wouldn't take it.

Thanks, but... A lot of us (me included) do reenactments as well, but it's not all choreographed stuff for display - it's a proper martial art with proper sparring, too...
  • djstatick
    djstatick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Coolies! Muay Thai... does it really do a number on your shin bones? I always wanted to try it but worry about that lol

Not if you wear shin pads/guards.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have five years of Kukkiwon Taekwondo experience, though currently I practice a very small form of karate called Budo Ryu. :) Eleven years of experience all-told, and now that I found out I'm moving, I'm considering trying to find something a little different. Maybe Jujitsu.
  • DanielCraigwannabe
    Options
    Did a bit of Kendo years ago, enjoyed it but it was too expensive for a 18 yr old.

Ex Bodyguard so I know a mix of TKD, Aikido, Krav Maga and Judo

Moves more than an "art"....but a few are grateful :happy:
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Have done jujitsu and karate but moved last year and just haven't found a place I like just yet.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Studied Aikido for 5 or 6 years and some Japanese stick stuff too. Have been practicing Escrima (Filipino system with Sticks/knives/empty hands) for several years now. Recently attended an Urban Combatives weekend with Lee Morrison which was phenomenal.

Edit: I also love Kung Fu movies too - especially the old Shaw Brothers stuff.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know if I'd call myself a marital artist, per se, but it's been a pretty good 5.5 years. My wife hasn't complained....much.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've been doing martial arts for almost 15 years now.

I did TaeKwondo,Shorin Ryu Karate, Ninjutsu previously and practicing and teaching Hapkido now.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Black belt Goju Ryu. Had to stop 2 years ago - darn arthritis and deteriorating hand and toe joints. I really miss it.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Haven't trained in a class in ages but I still practice my katas alone :]

Took tang soo do for about 10 years. We were also taught some kickboxing, judo, kajukenbo, weapons.

Our grandmaster was taught by Kim ki Whang and Sijo Emperado, he incorporated what he learned from both of them in our classes.