MyFitnessPal for life?

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Trust me, all skinny people do this for life - they've just learned to do it in their heads.

I have actually seen the skinny people in my life doing this over the past 2 years. They are counting, in their brains, every time they pick up a piece of birthday cake at work, or a mini-snickers in the candy bowl - and they calculate whether or not they can "afford" it.

The skinny people I have worked with in the past have also been nowhere to be found when birthday cake day happens. They'll pop in to sing happy birthday, and then they'll mysteriously vanish.

I'm not saying everyone has to be on MFP physically typing down their calories for the rest of their lives, but of the adults I know with low BMIs (and have had this their whole lives without weight issues) they absolutely count every single calorie that goes into their mouth. They read every label of everything they eat.

That's just what I've observed...
    Totally do not agree with this.

Intuitive eating is huge. Once you have a handle on how your body maintains and loses weight, knowing what you can/can't eat can be done without physically tracking, but keeping a mental idea of what you've eaten and what your body needs can be done.

ETA: spelling.

Then I think what you meant to say is "totally agree with this" because if you actually read what I wrote, that's exactly what I said....

See the bolded. That's not what you said at all.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Trust me, all skinny people do this for life - they've just learned to do it in their heads.

I have actually seen the skinny people in my life doing this over the past 2 years. They are counting, in their brains, every time they pick up a piece of birthday cake at work, or a mini-snickers in the candy bowl - and they calculate whether or not they can "afford" it.

The skinny people I have worked with in the past have also been nowhere to be found when birthday cake day happens. They'll pop in to sing happy birthday, and then they'll mysteriously vanish.

I'm not saying everyone has to be on MFP physically typing down their calories for the rest of their lives, but of the adults I know with low BMIs (and have had this their whole lives without weight issues) they absolutely count every single calorie that goes into their mouth. They read every label of everything they eat.

That's just what I've observed...
    Totally do not agree with this.

Intuitive eating is huge. Once you have a handle on how your body maintains and loses weight, knowing what you can/can't eat can be done without physically tracking, but keeping a mental idea of what you've eaten and what your body needs can be done.

ETA: spelling.

Then I think what you meant to say is "totally agree with this" because if you actually read what I wrote, that's exactly what I said....

See the bolded. That's not what you said at all.

Yes, it is 100% what I said. I think you're misreading my post. I said that the skinny people I've observed track everything that goes into their mouth *mentally* I also specifically said that these skinny people DO NOT track calories physically (like on MFP) So, just to clear this up, the first post is in complete agreement with the second post

Glad I could clear that up :happy:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I've recently come to the conclusion that unless I count calories I gain weight. I find this really sad. If I want to keep the body I get, will I have to count calories forever? Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Are any of you content with doing this for life?

Well...not really...at least I hope that I can eventually just know how much that I can eat and when to stop for the day.

I have 25-35 more pounds to lose. I lost the first 65 by counting those calories. I still count but I am trying to move in the direction of basing my food intake by how active that I am. I set up a range of calories...one level for when I am sedentary...one for when I am lightly active and another for when I am moderately active.

I don't know if it is going to work but while I am still logging and tracking I felt it was safe to experiment a little. I don't mind logging food but I also don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about if something has 80 calories or if it has 100.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for six months without logging. For me, I spent a full year being very meticulous about logging my food and changing bad habits. I think that if I can do it, anyone can. You just have to practice, practice, practice, until you get it right. Then, you still have to jump on the scale to be sure you are aren't gaining. I weigh in about every three weeks or so.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nope, not for me.

Logging consistently should be helping you get an approximate idea of how much food you should be eating per day.

When you're not counting calories and are gaining, are you still making good choices?
    Because not counting calories =/= eat anything and everything in large quantities.

But if I don't log it I don't have to think about it before I eat it. That's the whole joy of not logging.....

If you don't think about it, then you will likely regain the weight. That's the point you're missing. You have to think about food differently than you did as you were getting fat, or you will not be able to maintain.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think of it like brushing my teeth 2x a day. I've got to do that for life, but in return, if I take care of my teeth (brushing, flossing, seeing the dentist), I get to keep my teeth.

It is the same way with keeping a daily food diary.

I also buy one of those very cheap yearly calendars which has a page for each month. Every a.m., I note my weight..that way I can see if I'm creeping upwards and need to readjust. It is much easier for me to cut back when I have 3 lbs to lose than 7.

I've also found that when I'm preoccupied or stressed, that I can very easily totally and honestly forget how much I've eaten. MFP or a hard copy food diary keeps me honest.

The statistic is that under 10% of the people who lose weight keep it off, so if 10 minutes a day logging is what makes it possible for me to be one of that 10%, I'm good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Many people stop logging and thus stop thinking about what they are consuming. The only difference between losing weight and maintaining weight is a few hundred calories...you still have to make good nutritional decisions and you still have to be aware of what you're putting into your mouth and aware of portions and serving sizes and you still have to rock your fitness....nutrition and fitness have to play a prominent roll in your life.

I've been maintaining without logging for a year now. Just because you don't log doesn't mean that you don't have to be cognizant of what is going into your pie hole. Just blindly eating and reverting back to ****ty *kitten* dietary habits and dropping your fitness routine is going to lead to weight gain...I mean that's pretty much a no brainer.

IMHO, MFP and logging is just training wheels...at some point you have to learn to balance on your own.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my entire life (and I will be 58 years old this year), I am at a "normal" weight... I don't really know what that actual number is since I am not weighing on the scale at the moment... but I am wearing a size 6...the last time I wore a size 6 was when I was 4 years old and it was actually a size 6X. I weighed 65 pounds when I started first grade. I weighed 99 pounds in 4th grade, and the number kept going up, up, up. At my highest, I weighed 272 pounds and wore a size 26 (4XL in tops).... I am pretty sure that I've literally lost 1/2 of myself...

I have been tracking my food since July 1, 2013 and have been walking a minimum of 5 miles a day...usually closer to 10 miles...averageing 15k steps each and every day. I wear a Fitbit and feel like I am half-naked if I forget to put it on.

I WILL be doing this the rest of my life...and I am not complaining one bit. To log what I eat every day....to walk my walk every day.... it is a small price to pay to finally be healthy. I KNOW myself well enough to know that if I stop tracking, if I stop walking... I WILL gain weight back... I've been down this path way too many times/ getting justthisclose and then giving up... well not this time...

I am as enthusiastic today to log and walk as I was back in January, September, August... and on July 1. I know that I am in control of what goes in my mouth and how I choose to maintain my weightloss.... and think about it, people... that's what people who are fit and healthy do every single day.

Why would anyone want to stop doing something that works?
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my entire life (and I will be 58 years old this year), I am at a "normal" weight... I don't really know what that actual number is since I am not weighing on the scale at the moment... but I am wearing a size 6...the last time I wore a size 6 was when I was 4 years old and it was actually a size 6X. I weighed 65 pounds when I started first grade. I weighed 99 pounds in 4th grade, and the number kept going up, up, up. At my highest, I weighed 272 pounds and wore a size 26 (4XL in tops).... I am pretty sure that I've literally lost 1/2 of myself...

I have been tracking my food since July 1, 2013 and have been walking a minimum of 5 miles a day...usually closer to 10 miles...averageing 15k steps each and every day. I wear a Fitbit and feel like I am half-naked if I forget to put it on.

I WILL be doing this the rest of my life...and I am not complaining one bit. To log what I eat every day....to walk my walk every day.... it is a small price to pay to finally be healthy. I KNOW myself well enough to know that if I stop tracking, if I stop walking... I WILL gain weight back... I've been down this path way too many times/ getting justthisclose and then giving up... well not this time...

I am as enthusiastic today to log and walk as I was back in January, September, August... and on July 1. I know that I am in control of what goes in my mouth and how I choose to maintain my weightloss.... and think about it, people... that's what people who are fit and healthy do every single day.

Why would anyone want to stop doing something that works?

Perfectly said. That's the way I feel as well.
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's hard to be overweight, it's hard to lose weight, it's hard to maintain your weight. Choose your hard.

Brilliant statement!

When I 'go off' MFP, I'm less conscientious, and the scale sneaks upwards. I need the visible accountability.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it does not bother me. This is because I have to admit that when it comes to counting calories I am a bit obsessive compulsive.

I like to plan things out.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Didn't say that. I simply explained my own personal observations, which can't be refuted, unless you see everything I see... that's pretty amazing of you! :laugh:

Welcome to the MFP forums .. where anything can and does happen.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I've recently come to the conclusion that unless I count calories I gain weight. I find this really sad. If I want to keep the body I get, will I have to count calories forever? Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Are any of you content with doing this for life?

You will, and I say this politely, be here FOREVER!!!!! Okay, seriously, yes you'll be doing this until you make your mind or remember what certain foods are calorically(a word, dunno, but sounds good). ie...1 ounce of cheese 100 calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing this for life. :bigsmile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight too many times in my life...

once in high school and I maintained it nicely for 4 years(counting calories, mindful of my eating) until I got pregnant...military wouldn't let me exercise...I got fat...yo yo'd the same 20-30lbs(lose it for 6 months, gain it back +) for 20 years...tried exercise only, tried just limited food, tried the two together...didn't work for over 20 years

Lost weight again and well now...I am lower than when I got pregnant...counting calories and logging my food.

Will I log for life...if I have to...

I know after 10months of using my food scale I have a good handle on my cheese, veggies and meat...not so much on my yogurt, cereal, potatoes and starches...so that will be used too...

It's not that bad..and I am perfectly fine with it...esp with the phone app..I mean in this day and age there is no reason it should be hard...24 years ago I had a little book with food listing and calories and a pen and a spiral notebook...now that took some time.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Well..i am not close to maintenance yet. I plan to hold onto maintenance for probably a year or two...and slowly detach from counting and see where I go from there. Of course, I will monitor my weight/measurements and if I notice changes I plan to incorporate counting again.

ps - if i do have to count for the rest of my life, it is a small price to pay for something that is priceless.
  • JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options
    I think I'll be counting calories for the rest of my life, yes. Maybe some of it will end up being more in my head, a little less thought to it and a better understanding of just 'eyeing' portions and such. Especially by the time I'm in maintenance mode. Still though, I'll be counting them for the rest of my life, and I like to have a nice clean record of things, so I see no reason not to keep up with a simple system like this.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this too, and it has bothered me in the past. My plan is to log at maintenance for at least 6 months after I reach my goal then gradually wean myself off and get used to days where I don't log but also eat a reasonable amount of food for maintenance. And try to stay sensible on the weekends with meals out too! I'm going to keep weighing myself every month and if I gain, well, back to logging and a deficit until I can train myself to have more self control haha. I think it's hard because I definitely rely on the structure and the counting but at the same time if I stick to a basic meal plan during the week that allows for a couple of snacks, I think it is doable :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I've kind of realized that's true for me as well. But, I've been doing it for over 3 years so far and it's such a normal part of my day. The times I choose not to log, I really overeat.
    Same here. MFP for life. It's not as bad as the alternative and gaining all the weight back.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ms5g24qIBb1sruo27o1_500.jpg

:heart: