How do you calculate 1 Tbsp of food?

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
I had 1 Tbsp potato salad but Im not sure how to input that as there seems to be no measurement(s) for that.
Thanks!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I would always weigh everything in future rather than use cups/ tablespoons etc. it's much more accurate
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    16 tablespoons in a cup, so it's .0625 of a cup, so looks like about 22 calories. (but this would totally depend on how much mayo is in it. I used a generic "homemade" calorie count. Good luck
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    16 tablespoons in a cup, so it's .0625 of a cup, so looks like about 22 calories. (but this would totally depend on how much mayo is in it. I used a generic "homemade" calorie count. Good luck

^ this is handy to know, thanks :wink:
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You need to take your tablespoon of potato salad and then weigh it. I will probably surprise you as some food items (such as potato salad) will pile high on a spoon and be more than double the cals of what you think you're having. You don't need to be weighing every time but you need to educate yourself as to what is going into your mouth for future reference.

For example, breakfast cereal. The packet states a serving of 30g but when I weighed my average sized bowl, it was more like 55g.......nearly double!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    1 Tablespoon of potato salad? As in a spoon full worth? Are you sure it was only that much? "spoonfulls", etc, can add up fast..
    anyway..1 Tablespoon is the equivalent of 15 grams, I would find an entry as close to what you had as you can find that has grams as its unit of measurement, and use that.

The weight of the tablespoon totally depends on what you're weighing. 1 TBS of say, dessicated coconut will weigh heaps less than 1 tbs of peanut butter, for example.

1TBS = 15ml, but not all ml weigh the same, especially when it comes to solid food.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale for better accuracy. I would question whether you really only had 22g of potato salad as that would hardly seem worth eating.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    1 Tablespoon of potato salad? As in a spoon full worth? Are you sure it was only that much? "spoonfulls", etc, can add up fast..
    anyway..1 Tablespoon is the equivalent of 15 grams, I would find an entry as close to what you had as you can find that has grams as its unit of measurement, and use that.

Yes, it was 1 single Tablespoon...I took some because the person worked so hard to prepare the whole meal so I wanted to be respectful but I didn't go over the indulgence, just enough to enjoy it.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Use a food scale for better accuracy. I would question whether you really only had 22g of potato salad as that would hardly seem worth eating.

Well, I guess it was worth it to me!
    I had enough to enjoy it in the meal that everyone else was having without overeating while I put the rest of my calories towards other options.
    I didn't want to Not calculate it as it was something that went into my stomach, no matter the amount.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go metric, it's much more precise and easier to gauge/measure. Your scale already has grams and you measuring cup has milliliters I don't know why we are so stubborn with our teaspoons and cups. There are 3 countries in the entire world that aren't on the metric system, Myanmar, Liberia, and us...
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have lost 67 lbs. by weighing and MEASURING my food. Yes, those calorie differences can slow or stop your weight loss, but you will find out what works for you and make changes as needed.

I often take just a spoonful of something. If someone made it, I want to be able to tell them how good it was. Enjoy those tastes, log them as best as you can and enjoy life.
  • elizabethanderson7549
    Options
    I can never figure out how to calculate tablespoons into calories. Example: For cheeses label it says 1/4 c = 160 calories but if I have a tbsp what's the calories?
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can never figure out how to calculate tablespoons into calories. Example: For cheeses label it says 1/4 c = 160 calories but if I have a tbsp what's the calories?

Weigh solids like cheese. You can use tablespoons and cups for liquids.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    let's not get too serious! A tablespoon of potato salad at a party is not worth getting stressed about. :D

I must say though - 15mls of potato salad isn't 1tbsp. In fact, I defy any tablespoon measure I have EVER made to be as measly as 15mls unless I was measuring liquids. My tablespoonfuls of everything are at least 20g, maybe 25. I daresay I'd manage at least a 50g tablespoonful of potato salad if I was working hard, possibly could achieve 75g. But the lady had a wee taste to make her hostess happy and that is what we do at parties.

And at dinner parties I do believe it's still considered rude to haul out the measuring devices. ;)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Eh, when I'm at a party I eat very, very, very small portions of everything. This way, you can sample everything without overeating. It's always worth it to me.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Thank you all who supported my question with nice respectful answers...I really appreciated it!
    I just got started here last week and although I'd kept a food journal before, ALL of this has been totally new to me.
    No, I would not normally ask about a Tbsp of something but they say if it goes in, it should be documented so I was wanting to stay honest with ALL my food, no matter if it was just 1 cracker, a lick of a beater or a spoonful of something :ohwell:
    Thanks to all those that were kindly helpful :flowerforyou: