What to Eat When Not Hungry

Options
I am looking for some suggestions concerning leftover calories. I am on a 1400 calorie regimen and I am now finding that I am leaving at least 300 calories on the tabl and at dinner, I am just not that hungry. I have tried to increase my calories for lunch and snack but still sometimes find that I have 300 or so calories left. I don't want my body to think that I am starving it. Any suggestions??!!!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How did you eat over 1400 cal before?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    chocolate, wine, beer, cheese, pizza, ice cream in all forms
  • katnb1124
    katnb1124 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually do peanut butter on celery. Peanut butter adds up FAST
  • Cocotrendy
    Cocotrendy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ate mostly junk and fast food type stuff before, stuff that I thought was harmless. Yea right! I am really trying to stay away from that especially due to sodium content in some of the foods I ate. I don't even want to taste some of that stuff again because I know I will go spiraling completely out of control.
  • tern73
    tern73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In general, if I am not hungry, I don't eat. If this happens infrequently, you are not going to starve your body or anything like that.

If it's happening more frequently, then build more calorie dense foods in throughout the day.

If it's the evening and I *am* hungry, and I have 300 cals left, then it is ice cream time.
  • Cocotrendy
    Options
    I usually do peanut butter on celery. Peanut butter adds up FAST

Now that is one I haven't tried. Peanut butter sounds like a good choice for a evening snack.
  • cassie4animals
    cassie4animals Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I snack on carrots or banana chips and cashew butter or rice cakes with cashew butter and honey. It packs in the missing calories and makes me feel like I'm getting a little treat.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Add olive oil to your foods. One tablespoon alone (13,5 g) is around 120 calories.
  • Cocotrendy
    Options
    In general, if I am not hungry, I don't eat. If this happens infrequently, you are not going to starve your body or anything like that.

If it's happening more frequently, then build more calorie dense foods in throughout the day.

If it's the evening and I *am* hungry, and I have 300 cals left, then it is ice cream time.

That is what I was kinda of worried about. I have gotten that response about eating so few calories will cause my body to think it's being starved and then the weight might not come off. I don't think it happens frequently, maybe twice a week, so that's good to know.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and nuts work for me.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I find almonds are good for extra calories, but given the choice, I'd go with Peanut Butter =-)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I ate mostly junk and fast food type stuff before, stuff that I thought was harmless. Yea right! I am really trying to stay away from that especially due to sodium content in some of the foods I ate. I don't even want to taste some of that stuff again because I know I will go spiraling completely out of control.

Well, it is harmless in moderation. Instead of the whole bag of Flaming Cheetos, do an ounce. Boom. Calories filled. Tummy happy.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. <3
  • marykate1984
    marykate1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try liquid calories when you are not hungary; chocolate milk, juice, etc...
    Good luck!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    A 2-oz Snickers Bar packs 296 calories. YUM! :love:

Or save those extra calories for the weekend dinner out or movie popcorn! Averaging in a week is a possibility. Its what I usually aim for.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to make your body think it is starving except not giving it "any" food, and even then it is not going to hold onto fat. That would be what some would call "starvation mode", and it's a load of crap.

If you are trying to create a deficit and at the end of the day you have done just that and are not hungry why would you force more food into your body? Enjoy the fact that you have succeeded for the day and move on. There will probably be a day where you go over by two or three hundred calories so it will all even out in the end.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

That is what I was kinda of worried about. I have gotten that response about eating so few calories will cause my body to think it's being starved and then the weight might not come off. I don't think it happens frequently, maybe twice a week, so that's good to know.

That response you've gotten? It isn't really true. Excessive under eating can cause metabolic damage eventually, but If you're talking being under a couple of times a week, you won't go into the mythological "starvation mode".
  • Cocotrendy
    Options

Well, it is harmless in moderation. Instead of the whole bag of Flaming Cheetos, do an ounce. Boom. Calories filled. Tummy happy.

Yes, but moderation is a word that doesn't always exist in my vocabulary. :laugh:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Cheese and fruit makes a nice snack. A 1ounce chunk of cheddar cheese is a lot smaller then you think and is a good 100 calories by itself.

If you aren't hungry and it's a daily basis then I would say that you really need to start working on increasing your calories because you aren't eating enough and your body isn't liking it. It's not good to be going a long time with an incredibly slashed calorie intake. You need to fuel your body and when you are starving it you will damage your metabolism.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Yes, but moderation is a word that doesn't always exist in my vocabulary. :laugh:

Right there with ya.

The olive oil suggestion a few posts up is a great one if you don't want to just add a food in at the end of the day. Coconut oil is good, too.