Workouts with S/O?

Options
Do any of you guys work out with your SO? My boyfriend does a lot of running and weightlifting but we've always worked out separately. I've been thinking recently that I might want to go with him sometime to see what his routine is and get more comfortable in our gym's weight room. I get a little anxious/nervous being a girl in the weight room - I always feel like the men are all staring at me (not creepily, it's just that there's only one or two women who use the free weights at our gym so I guess I'm just a novelty) and it makes me uncomfortable. But I feel like if I go with boyfriend a few times, I'll settle in a little.

How has working out together helped/hindered your progress?

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My situation is a little bit different but I'll share anyway.. I started training in February with the head of personal training at my gym (in other words, he is more of a manager, doesn't have a client schedule). Since then there has been chemistry between us and it has gone from him simply putting me through workouts to the both of us lifting together. I really enjoy it because I am learning a lot and he takes the time to correct my form, etc. even when he simultaneously working out. I think it just depends on your s/o's willingness to workout with another person (nothing personal - some people just like to work out alone). And to add - we are going on our first date tonight :happy:
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We do! Our favorite thing to do together is hike. Good exercise and bonding time. :)

I used to be nervous venturing into the weight room, but once I did, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. Hope you enjoy it, and don't be nervous. Everyone is usually so focused on themselves to notice a newbie in there!
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Years ago when we were just starting to date, hubs tried to get me to workout with him. And by workout with him I mean he was trying to teach me his ways of working out. It lasted 2 days. He was fresh out of the Marine Corps and in WAAY better shape than I was (still is, but hey lucky me!), and while he tried to be "easy" on me, it just frustrated the crap out of me because I just couldn't keep up and he couldn't slow down. It bothered me that I was beet red, sweating like a pig, and struggling to breathe and he was able to talk normally. Honestly it turned me off of trying to get into shape for a few years.

So now, I workout alone. And it works just fine for us. I'm FINALLY getting to the point where I'll ask for his advice on certain things and *gasp* let him into the room while I workout. But I'm the kind of person who likes to start figuring things out for myself before asking for help. Hubs calls it an abundance of pride, I think it's just not wanting to look stupid.

However, we do go on walks, hikes, and even climbed a mountain together. It just depends on the kind of workout!
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    Options
    Just work out on Your own! Otherwise how can You focus if You are busy flirting with them, etc?
  • Seekerman
    Seekerman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I often work out with the GF. I think its great for the relationship. On lower body she is the stronger one so I have to suck it up and put the ego aside. She is twenty years younger so it is great motivation.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I like it both ways. When I first started out with NROL4W, my husband went with me and helped me with the different moves and form (he worked at that gym as a personal trainer). We then got into a routine and I really enjoyed spending our gym time together.

Lately, he's been busy and I had been going by myself. At first, I was annoyed, but now I kind of enjoy the "me" time :)

All in all, I think it helped me become comfortable faster in the weight section because he went with me for the beginning. Being with a partner kind of helps you feel like not all are focusing on you as a newbie. But as I went by myself, I quickly learned that nobody really gives a hoot. Seriously. It may seem like you're being stared at, but it's probably just because you're a new face, nothing more. Just get in there, do your thing, focus on your workout, and get out. If you act like you belong there, you'll soon start to believe yourself :happy:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just work out on Your own! Otherwise how can You focus if You are busy flirting with them, etc?

Bitter?
  • ktg503
    ktg503 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! We do hike together now and then, which is nice, but I'm not sure if he's up for a gym workout together. I will say we've been together for about a year so flirting and getting distracted is not really a concern :laugh: Maybe I'll just ask him to give it a try and see how it goes - we're fairly independent of each other most of the time (extremely different work schedules) so it might be nice to not feel like gym time cuts into relationship time.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call 3 minutes a workout exactly :blushing:
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    My situation is a little bit different but I'll share anyway.. I started training in February with the head of personal training at my gym (in other words, he is more of a manager, doesn't have a client schedule). Since then there has been chemistry between us and it has gone from him simply putting me through workouts to the both of us lifting together. I really enjoy it because I am learning a lot and he takes the time to correct my form, etc. even when he simultaneously working out. I think it just depends on your s/o's willingness to workout with another person (nothing personal - some people just like to work out alone). And to add - we are going on our first date tonight :happy:

Very unprofessional of him to sleep with clients - he is lucky You are not suing him.

No I'm not bitter - just realistic.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Very unprofessional of him to sleep with clients - he is lucky You are not suing him.

Erm where does it say they are sleeping together lol?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work out together all the time. He's always been a pretty active person, so I think he enjoys the fact that we can now do a lot more stuff together. It was my idea to start lifting heavy, so he's been going with me to the gym most days since January, and we help each other with form and exercises.

We also do a lot of bike riding in the summer and have been jogging together as well (even though I'm still a very slow jogger). It makes the workouts more enjoyable, and it's nice to get in a little extra time with my SO.

As far as being a woman in the weight room, don't stress! From my experience, most men are perfectly polite and usually don't pay much attention to me. I've had a couple of guys give me tips on my form, which I appreciate, but for the most part, they just leave me alone. :smile:
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    Well it's unprofessional, it's similar to a professor dating a student.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

166.gif
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well it's unprofessional, it's similar to a professor dating a student.

No, it's not-- at all. It's more similar to an accountant dating a client.

You know why? Because a professor has power over a student's grades, and therefore, their direction in life. Therefore, true consent can not really exist in that situation. (At least from a purely clinical, black-and-white perspective. That's why you wait until you're done with classes with a professor or instructor to date them, if there's true chemistry there.)

Also, you're cruising for the ban-hammer. I can't cheer hard enough when it happens. Shouldn't you be working out instead of spending all this time stirring up crap?
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    You're not allowed to hit on Your clients at a gym. People should be able to work out without sexual comments being made or their *kitten* being grabbed by the staff.

And to the OP: seriously, work out alone - a SO will just be a distraction. My dog just lies on the couch while I work out. We exercise together when we go on walks but generally a dog will just get in the way, and your SO will also get in the way. Don't be so clingy!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'll avoid all that nonsense above by just answering the original question. No, I don't work out with my SO. I have never really enjoyed working out with anyone, let alone the person I already spend a lot of time with! I use my time working out and running as a way to decompress and help me calm my mind and body, so I prefer to be alone. As for the weight room issue, don't be afraid to venture in there and kick some butt, whether you're alone or with your SO.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    People should be able to work out without sexual comments being made or their *kitten* being grabbed by the staff.

you've been going to some crappy gyms.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to hit on Your clients at a gym. People should be able to work out without sexual comments being made or their *kitten* being grabbed by the staff.

And to the OP: seriously, work out alone - a SO will just be a distraction. My dog just lies on the couch while I work out. We exercise together when we go on walks but generally a dog will just get in the way, and your SO will also get in the way. Don't be so clingy!

You make me sad.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

My boyfriend lifts with me. It's nice having a spotter and someone there to push me a bit harder than I push myself. We don't flirt while we are in the gym and we are both far from clingy. In the gym he's a training partner. Outside the gym he's my SO.