Foodie on a diet

Options
2»

Replies

• bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One of the things I'm working on (definitely struggling) are those "non-food" diet tips/lifestyle changes. One of my favorite books is "Foodist" by the blogger over at summertomato.com.

She emphasizes mindful eating, smaller plate sizes, etc. Just those little things to trick yourself into eating less.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options

1. Portion control.
    2. Eating too fast.
    3. Adaptation.
    4. Exercise.
    5. Track what you eat.

Bon chance!

Merci! I'll try to keep all those tips in mind while venturing in the world of an healthy lifestyle. I have a problem with the fact that I'm eating really fast (i like to shovel food in my mouth, my bad), so maybe it's a good time to try correcting this bad habit in the meantime.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some recipes from you! I've found a couple of great websites with interesting ideas. Just bought some agar agar to try using to make things like faux almond milk whipped cream. It can also be used to thicken soups.
    Skinny Taste has some really good recipes that are real food.
    Chocolate covered Katie also has some interesting ideas.

My diary is open, so if you're interested in anything I am cooking, I can give you the recipe. I also have a foodblog, but it's in frrench. Maybe with the use of Google translate, you can see my recipes. http://exila.blogspot.ca/

Thank you for the blog recommandation!
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    I know when I start thinking about food or wanting to eat I can channel that into thinking about creative recipes or combinations that sound good but not too high calorie or perhaps planning for the week without any diet food or chicken, broccoli, and brown rice rut .

That's true! I'll try to channel my inner foodie to produce really nice menu that are healthy. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie...I simply cut back on my portions...I actually find that I enjoy my meals now more and savor every little bite and eat much slower than I used to. I also tweaked some of my recipes to be a bit more nutritious (i.e. I found that I can use about 1/2 the oil and butter that I was typically using for many things and still produce an outstanding meal...things like that) and I added a lot more vegetable dishes. In RE to the craft beer, I had to cut way back when I was losing and only had maybe one or two beers per week...and drank more vodka and diet tonics than I ever had in my life. Now in maintenance I'm back to my regular old beers without issue for the past year but I work my butt off in the gym to earn them.
  • illykins87
    illykins87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I am a Chef and if I dont try everything I make I get yelled at, but I am just careful what I eat and when. Ive added you hope to chat soon :) and congratulations you are back on here so you are one step closer
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

1. Portion control.
    2. Eating too fast.
    3. Adaptation.
    4. Exercise.
    5. Track what you eat.

Bon chance!

Fellow food writer here. I agree with the above, and I'd add that the recipe tool is your friend. It's a bit of a pain to enter things at first, but well worth it, and you can play with portion sizes, which is very useful. I'd also add that being a food writer has advantages--you're probably better than the average person at eyeballing portion sizes and if you develop recipes you already own a kitchen scale and know how to use it.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    True that. And I am already used to calculate the nutritional value of every recipe, so it won't feel like a hassle. ;)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I find that I don't cook and bake as much anymore, but that is fine with me. My life centered around food to try to compensate for some areas of my life that didn't make me happy. Not a great strategy!

Having said that, I still love good food and do enjoy fine dining. For me it is about balance. If I'm having a sumptuous dinner, I make sure I get my workout in and eat lighter, without starving, earlier in the day.

I also lift heavy weights and do cardio 5 days a week, which helps a lot.

Regarding cooking, I have found that focusing on fresh, light meals is great. Recently I made a fabulous seared tuna with lemon caper buerre blanc but modified the recipe to use 1/3 of the butter and I just made sure to track what I ate. I didn't sacrifice flavor at all. Beautiful salads and creative vegetable sides seem popular at many foodie establishments, so I am sure once you reframe how you approach cooking, you should be good to go!
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has mentioned portion size. That has been the key for me. I've mostly been able to eat all the same foods I was eating before, I'm just eating smaller (aka "reasonable") portions. Also, trying to fill out the plate with vegetables- I'll often do two veggie sides instead of a veggie and a starch. And actually measuring the oil and butter I use to cook things! I just to just throw a chunk of butter in a pan or a glug or two of olive oil (or both!) without evening thinking abut it- now I measure and I find I really didn't need to use as much as I was using before.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Also, I kind of think that the amount of cooking fat in many recipes is highly exagerated. I've done a bit of cooking school in my life so I know that fat is supposed to "nourish" the food you're cooking, so it's not drying out, and it's conveys also a lot of flavor, but seriously, on a day to day basis, all those meat cooking in 4 tablespoon of oil (hello, I'm looking at you, italian cookbooks), and those dressings with half a cup of olive oil, it's just too much.

I'll try to mesure the olive oil more, though, because I'm used to eyeball it and maybe I'm addind a little too much anyway.