Plague of Midges...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Not that any of you care, but this is so freakishly cool. I work on the shores of Lake Michigan and this amazing plague of nasty is seriously remarkable. I can't walk outside to my car without these little *kitten* covering my face, getting in my mouth, hair, car... It's nasty. Yet so fascinating.

536174430e569.preview-620.jpg

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eww! That is seriously creepy.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eewwwwww! I once lived in the country on a Christmas tree farm and we got plagued by little green worms. When you drove down the driveway you could hear them squishing. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was green and writhing.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    hahaha little *kitten*. I experienced something like this in New Zealand at Milford Sound. Holy crap they were EVERYWHERE. I feel your pain.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Eewwwwww! I once lived in the country on a Christmas tree farm and we got plagued by little green worms. When you drove down the driveway you could hear them squishing. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was green and writhing.

Nightmares. I'd have nightmares...
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    At first i thought you were talking about the bird! Like an alfred hitchcock movie lol Does this happen every year? How long?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    At first i thought you were talking about the bird! lol Does this happen every year? How long?

It doesn't. I have lived/worked here for over 10 years and I never remember it being like this before. I think the really weird weather we've had might contribute to it? It's still only 40 degrees or so, and SUPER wet this year.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Ew ew ew ewww get it away! I'd be wearing a beekeeper outfit all day...
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Down here it's "love-bug" season. . They are here and they are everywhere. .
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Lake pERIEod gives us the same disgusting little creatures. But at this point, I'll take them over the never ending winter we've had.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    uqaUT7F.jpg

I love them! The midges are always welcome and have safe haven in my yard. In game two of the 2007 ALDS, they made Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain fall apart. He become visibly unhinged and the Indians won, 2-1! They're aces in my book!

:Edited to resize the image and correct a typo:
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think it's the end of the world. Better start hoarding.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Lake pERIEod gives us the same disgusting little creatures. But at this point, I'll take them over the never ending winter we've had.

Right? I'm so over this freaking weather.

On the flip side I'm hoping it produces some higher water levels for rafting this summer...
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about! We live on a freshwater lake and the midges arrived last week. I seriously can not stand them!! :angry:
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    At first i thought you were talking about the bird! Like an alfred hitchcock movie lol Does this happen every year? How long?

For us .. they didn't start this early last year. They started in July and were off and on through the end of August! :grumble:
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

Bless-this-post-gif.gif
  • oOoBLUEoOo
    oOoBLUEoOo Posts: 40
    Options
    I misread your title...
    midget-wrestling1.jpg
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Armyworms? When I was a kid, they plagued our neighborhood. At night when the porch light was on they would crawl up and cover EVERYTHING - the floor, walls, ceiling. I still have nightmares!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    any good trout streams nearby?