Weigh in!!

Options
Hi, I started yesterday and would like to know what the general consensus is on weighing in? Do people do it daily, weekly, fortnightly?? I realise weight can fluctuate all day and would feel better doing it in the mornings but how often should I weigh in to make sure I get an accurate reading?

What does everyone else do?

Replies

• craigdean
    Options
    I like to weigh in daily first thing in the morning. I tend to wake up every day at the same time. But doing it daily does open you up to some fluctuation in the weight. I have found that my weight will suddenly dip or spike a bit and then go back to normal the next day. However, I do like to know how my diet/exercise is helping or lack of it is hurting me on a regular basis so I can adjust either as the week is going on. If I have been exercising good and really watching what I am eating then I like that little reward of the scale to help me keep it going. And on the flipside, if I have not eaten the best and skipped the gym a few days then I like for the scale to help motivate me to get back on track.
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i do do it daily but that is just compulsion - i cant walk past them and not jump on - they dont tell the truth anyway - as my scales sometimes say i have gained and my slimming class says i have lost....??
  • micbin
    micbin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to recommend daily. I weigh in first thing every morning, completely unclothed and after I've been to the loo. That way the reading is fairly consistent, although as the other members state, it can fluctuate..

Good Luck!
    x
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I also do it daily , 1st thng in the morning.

Im not concerned about the weight as i know water retention etc varies the weight.
    I do record/log it on a weekly basis.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh nearly as often as others on here. I know that weight can fluctuate daily based on intake and output, so daily weigh ins aren't going to be accurate. I use to weigh in weekly, but again, know that weight can fluctuate weekly based on hormone levels and your cycle. So, when I remember, I weight once a month at the same time of the month, in the morning, after going to the restroom, before eating or drinking anything, and completely naked. And yes, I care so little about the scale that I do completely forget to weigh myself even monthly. I just weighed in for the first of the year and realized that it had been 2 months since my last weigh in. My DH asked me if I was concerned that I'd gained back 5 pounds. I told him no because my body fat % had gone down and that is all I worry about, not weight but how much my fat has gone down and lean has gone up. So my best suggestion isn't necessarily how often to weigh, but to make sure you are tracking more then just scale weight. Either body fat or measurements are a much better indicator of the changes in the body then just a scale. The scale could care less if you put a pound of fat, a pound of muscle, or a pound of feathers on it. It will just see the pound. But muscle will take up less space then fat (or feathers) and burn more calories at rest, so it is what I'm aiming for regardless of scale weight.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    To maintain a healthy mental balance I've resigned to weekly weigh-ins only. For me daily weigh in's just weren't useful and I found that one day really isn't enough time to see the benefits of eating right and training hard.

So, I weigh once a week (my day is a Saturday), first thing in the morning, before consuming anything but after I've been to the restroom. This seems to work for me.
  • tulipswish
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Good luck all of you in your journey's